Connect with us

News

NESREA Seals Off Ethanol Plant for Discharging Pollutants into Water System

Published

on

NESREA Seals Off Ethanol Plant for Discharging Pollutants into Water System

By: Michael Mike

The National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency, NESREA and the Nigeria Police Force have sealed off Pure Bio-Tech Company Limited for contravening environmental law by discharging pollutants into public water system.

A statement on Tuesday by the spokesperson of NESREA, Amaka Ejiofor said: “On Monday, 17th April, 2023 at about 12.30 pm, the combined team of officials of the National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency, NESREA and Officers of the Nigeria Police Force, Benue State Command Headquarters sealed off a facility belonging to Pure Bio-Tech Company Limited situated along Gboko Road, Makurdi, the Benue State Capital, for discharging untreated effluent into water bodies thereby endangering human lives and the environment, and also flouting extant environmental laws and standards.”

Ejiofor said the company, an ethanol production plant, which belongs to the Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sector, uses cassava as its raw material, noting that the production of ethanol using cassava is a wet process that requires the installation of a functional Effluent Treatment Plant (ETP) which would ensure that waste from these processes is well treated before being discharged into the environment, insisting that the non-availability of the ETP is in clear violations of the provisions of the National Environmental (Chemicals, Pharmaceuticals, Soap and Detergent Manufacturing Industries) Regulations 2009 S.I No.36 and National Environmental (Sanitation and Waste Control) Regulations 2009 S.I No.28.

She disclosed that In March 2023 the Facility Consultant (NESREA Accredited) carried out an Environmental Compliance Monitoring (ECM), and the Report of the Effluent analyzed by the Consultant was submitted to the NESREA Field Office Makurdi on the 16th April, 2023. The Report revealed that most of the parameters analyzed from the Effluent were above NESREA Permissible level as provided under the National Environmental (Sanitation and Waste Control) Regulations 2009 S.I N0.28, adding that the facility had earlier been issued notices of compliance concerns to halt production until a functional ETP is fully installed but it failed to comply.

She said NESREA subsequently moved in to avoid further endangering of lives of residents who use water from the river for their basic household needs. This is in conformity with the provisions of the NESREA Act 2007 (as Amended), which allows the agency to carry out such enforcement activity in situations where it becomes expedient and necessary to halt an action posing imminent danger to human life, animal the environment.

She alleged that in addition to not having an ETP, the facility was also found to be operating without an Environmental Impact Statement, and did not complete the process of conducting an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) before commencement of its operation which contravenes the EIA Act CAP. E12 of LFN, 2004, also accusing the Facility for operating without relevant Environmental Permits contrary to the National Environmental (Permitting and Licensing System) Regulations 2009 S.I N0.29.

She said the facility therefore remains sealed while investigations continue, stating that at the conclusion of investigations, the appropriate sanctions will be meted out on the company.

Meanwhile, the Director General of NESREA, Prof Aliyu Jauro has reminded facilities that compliance with laid down environmental laws is a must for any company operating in the country, warning that the agency is fully determined to ensure that non-compliant facilities are made to face the full wrath of the law.

NESREA Seals Off Ethanol Plant for Discharging Pollutants into Water System

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Malians Youth Gang Violent Clashes Claims Life in Maiduguri

Published

on

Malians Youth Gang Violent Clashes Claims Life in Maiduguri

By: Zagazola Makama

An 18-year-old youth, identified as Bakura Muhammed, was fatally stabbed on April 4, 2025, during a violent clash between rival youth groups in Maiduguri.

Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that the altercation occurred at about 4:30 PM in the Ajari and Tashan Lara areas, where youths from both sides engaged in a free-for-all fight.

The victim was fatally stabbed on the stomach. He was immediately transported to the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital, by the security personnel from Maiduguri Borno police command, where he was confirmed dead by medical personnel.

A police sources said that seven individuals, aged between 15 and 24, have been arrested in connection with the incident. They include Ba’abba Kyari (20), Ali Alhaji GoniAli (20), Muhammed Audu (18), Ali Isa (15), Adam Sabir (15), Mohammed Tujja (17), and Usman Kasim (24).

Authorities are still searching for other members of the gang who fled the scene.

The victim’s body has been deposited at the hospital morgue for autopsy and was later released to the family for burial in accordance with Islamic rites.

Malians Youth Gang Violent Clashes Claims Life in Maiduguri

Continue Reading

News

Remnant IED Explosion Injures One in Borno

Published

on

Remnant IED Explosion Injures One in Borno

By: Zagazola Makama

An Improvised Explosive Device (IED) explosion occurred in Meleri Village, Damboa Local Government Area, on April 4, 2025, leaving one person injured.

Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that one Alhaji Sanda, a resident of Hansari IDP Camp, and Bulama Zarayye, aged 40, were collecting baobab tree seeds when Zarayye accidentally stepped on an IED.

The device, believed to have been planted by ISWAP, exploded, causing injuries to Zarayye’s buttock, right hand, and lap.

A combined security team, including the Military and the Explosive Ordnance Disposal and Chemical, Biological, Radiological, and Nuclear (EOD-CBRN) unit, was promptly dispatched to the scene.

The area was cordoned off, and a search for additional explosive devices was conducted, but no further devices were found.

Zarayye was taken to the General Hospital in Damboa, where he is currently receiving treatment and is reported to be in stable condition.

Remnant IED Explosion Injures One in Borno

Continue Reading

News

Suspect Dies After Torture in Kaduna

Published

on

Suspect Dies After Torture in Kaduna

By: Zagazola Makama

A tragic incident has been reported in Tudun Nupawa, Kaduna, following the death of 21-year-old Abba Bello.

It was gathered that on April 2, 2025, Bello was arrested by a security guard at Old Panteka on suspicion of theft.

Abdullahi Usman, a suspected commander of the group, allegedly supervised the torture of Bello, leaving him unconscious.

Bello was initially taken to Yusuf Dantsoho Memorial Hospital for treatment but was later transferred to Barau Dikko Teaching Hospital. Despite receiving medical care, he succumbed to his injuries on April 4, 2025, around 5:00 AM.

The deceased’s family has declined a post-mortem examination, and his body was released for burial as per their request.

Efforts to apprehend the suspects are ongoing.

Suspect Dies After Torture in Kaduna

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights