Crime
NIDCOM Gets 17 Trafficked Girls Rescued, 5 Traffickers Arrested in Ghana
NIDCOM Gets 17 Trafficked Girls Rescued, 5 Traffickers Arrested in Ghana
By: Michael Mike
Seventeen young Nigerian girls trafficked to Ghana have been rescued and repatriated back to the country while five traffickers were equally arrested.
This latest rescue operation brought to 130 girls repatriated back to Nigeria from Ghana alone since July 2024.
According to a statement signed on Sunday by the Director, Media, Public Relations and Protocols Unit, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NiDCOM). Abdur-Rahman Balogun, this was sequel to the combined and coordinated efforts of the Ghanaian Anti-Human Trafficking Police, Nigerians in Diaspora Organisation (NIDO) Ghana, and the Nigerian High Commission in Accra.
Speaking on this latest efforts, Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Chairman/CEO NiDCOM, expressed her gratitude to Nigeria’s First Lady, Senator Oluremi Tinubu for her support in facilitating the safe return of the young girls back to the country.
She also commended the vital roles played by the BOT Chairman of NIDO Ghana, Chief Callistus Elozieuwa,, and the Ghanaian Anti-Human Trafficking Police Unit in bringing the traffickers to justice.
She reiterated NiDCOM’s commitment to protecting Nigerians in the diaspora under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda, which gave priority to combating human trafficking and safeguarding the rights of Nigerian citizens at home and in the Diaspora.
Balogun, in the statement, stated that the rescued young girls, ages 18 to 29 years, come from various states, including Anambra, Abia, Akwa Ibom, Rivers, Imo, Edo, and Ebonyi.
He said they were lured to Ghana under false promises of employment but were instead forced into exploitative situations and bound by an oath of secrecy.
Dabiri-Erewa expressed her determination to the rescue of those still trafficked in conjuction with various stakeholders, noting that many more trafficked Nigerians are still awaiting rescue.
Director of the Anti-Human Trafficking Unit of the Ghana Police Service, Mr. Williams Ayaregah praised NiDCOM’s efforts under Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa’s leadership.
He said: “More than ever, traffickers must realise that Ghana is no longer a safe haven.”
The operation, conducted in Kpone Katamanso, Tema, resulted in one of the largest single- operation arrests, with five traffickers apprehended.
Mr. Akinboye Akinsola, representing NiDCOM, played a critical role in escorting the rescued women back to Nigeria, where they were handed over to the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) for rehabilitation and reintegration.
Chief Callistus Elozieuwa added that two young men were also repatriated, including one who was previously detained in Ghanaian prison.
With NIDO Ghana’s assistance, the young man underwent rehabilitation and has now returned to his home state, Anambra, for family reintegration.
This cross-national effort underscores NiDCOM’s dedication to eradicating human trafficking and highlights the importance of international collaboration to protect Nigerians abroad.
NIDCOM Gets 17 Trafficked Girls Rescued, 5 Traffickers Arrested in Ghana
Crime
Troops intensify anti-bandit operations in Katsina, neutralise terrorist
Troops intensify anti-bandit operations in Katsina, neutralise terrorist
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of 17 Brigade have intensified ongoing counterterrorism operations in Katsina State, leading to the neutralisation of a suspected terrorist and recovery of weapons during a fighting patrol in Sabuwa Local Government Area.
The operation, conducted under the ongoing military offensive code-named Operation Forest Sanity IV, took place on May 21 along the Dandume–Damari road near Gamji village.

Military sources disclosed that troops deployed at Combat Team 3, Damari village, encountered a suspected terrorist riding on a motorcycle while conducting clearance patrols within the area.
According to the sources, the troops swiftly pursued and engaged the suspect, resulting in his neutralisation after a brief encounter.
Items recovered from the operation included one AK-47 rifle, one AK-47 magazine loaded with ammunition, a motorcycle and an Itel mobile phone believed to belong to the suspect.

The sources added that troops later carried out exploitation operations across the surrounding area to ensure no additional threats remained within the vicinity.
Security officials noted that no casualty was recorded among the troops and no equipment was lost during the operation.
Military authorities said the latest success reflects sustained efforts by security forces to dismantle terrorist and bandit networks operating across parts of Katsina State and neighbouring areas.
They reiterated the commitment of the military to maintaining pressure on criminal elements and ensuring that residents continue their socio-economic activities without fear.

Communities across several local government areas in Katsina State have in recent years witnessed repeated attacks linked to armed banditry, cattle rustling and kidnapping, prompting intensified military offensives and joint security operations across forest corridors in the North-West.
Troops intensify anti-bandit operations in Katsina, neutralise terrorist
Crime
Man Stabbed to Death Following Altercation in Plateau Community
Man Stabbed to Death Following Altercation in Plateau Community
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Operation Enduring Peace in Plateau State have arrested a suspect in connection with the killing of a man following a violent altercation in Bassa Local Government Area of the state.
Sources disclosed that troops of Sector 1 Operation Safe Haven reacted to a distress report at about 2:00 a.m. on May 23 concerning a fight between two residents identified as Sani Haruna and Bashiru Saidu at Bomo village in Bassa LGA.

Upon arrival at the scene, the troops reportedly found Sani Haruna with severe stab wounds allegedly inflicted by Bashiru Saidu during the altercation.
The victim was immediately evacuated to a medical facility in Miango for treatment but was later confirmed dead by medical personnel.
Following the incident, troops in collaboration with members of the Vigilante Group of Nigeria (VGN) launched a manhunt for the suspect.
Security sources said the suspect was subsequently arrested and taken into custody for further investigation and necessary legal action.
Authorities have assured residents of continued efforts to maintain peace and security across communities in Plateau State while urging citizens to resolve disputes peacefully and avoid violence.
Man Stabbed to Death Following Altercation in Plateau Community
Crime
Troops Rescue Abducted Victims, Arrest Collaborators, Record Surrenders in North-East Operations
Troops Rescue Abducted Victims, Arrest Collaborators, Record Surrenders in North-East Operations
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of the Joint Task Force (North East), Operation HADIN KAI, have recorded significant operational successes including the rescue of abducted civilians, arrest of suspected terrorist collaborators, recovery of weapons, and continued surrender of insurgents’ family members across the North-East theatre.
Security sources disclosed that the operations were conducted under Operation Desert Sanity V and other ongoing clearance missions aimed at degrading terrorist capabilities in the region.
In one of the major breakthroughs, troops operating along the Ngoshe–Amuda axis in Gwoza Local Government Area of Borno State rescued four abducted persons comprising two women and two children.
The victims were identified as Salamatu Sidiq Ali (19), Halima Idrisa (20), Umar Abdullahi (3), and Mustapha Abdullahi (4), who were abducted during an attack on Ngoshe community on March 3, 2026.
According to the sources, preliminary debrief indicated that the victims were held in a terrorist enclave before being freed following sustained military pressure on insurgent hideouts in the Mandara Mountains.
The rescued persons were later medically evaluated and reunited with their families through community leadership.
The sources added that a total of 65 abducted persons have so far been rescued in ongoing operations, while efforts are continuing to secure the release of others still in captivity.
In a related development, troops apprehended a suspected terrorist collaborator, identified as 50-year-old Mrs. Kellu Alhaji Abba, at a checkpoint in Baga, Kukawa Local Government Area.
Items recovered from her included clothing materials and other supplies allegedly intended for delivery to a terrorist operative in the Dumba general area, according to preliminary investigation.
Similarly, troops arrested another suspected logistics supplier, Mr. Amadu Abdu (50), along the Dalori axis while transporting a large quantity of packaged items suspected to be intended for terrorist elements.
Investigations revealed that the suspect had been supplying logistics in exchange for access to grazing areas within terrorist-controlled zones. Items recovered included packaged goods, a mobile phone, a cutlass, suspected illicit substances, and cash.
Elsewhere, troops in conjunction with local hunters arrested four suspected cattle rustlers and terrorist collaborators at Kwaya Kusar Market. The suspects were found with stolen livestock and are currently under investigation.
The operation also recorded the surrender of individuals linked to Boko Haram/ISWAP, including Aishatu Sale (20), who surrendered in Bama Local Government Area, and Hauwa Abubakar (70), who escaped from a terrorist enclave in the Mandara Mountains.
The sources said the surrendered individuals attributed their decision to sustained military pressure and worsening living conditions in terrorist camps.
In another development, troops recovered one AK-47 rifle and a loaded magazine along a suspected terrorist withdrawal route, further degrading insurgent operational capability.
Military authorities said the sustained successes demonstrate continued pressure on terrorist elements and reaffirmed commitment to restoring lasting peace and stability in the North-East region.
The Military High Command commended the troops for their operational performance and urged them to sustain the momentum in the ongoing counter-terrorism campaign.
Troops Rescue Abducted Victims, Arrest Collaborators, Record Surrenders in North-East Operations
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Politics12 months ago2027: Why Hon. Midala Balami Must Go, as Youths in Hawul and Asikira/Uba Federal Constituency Reject ₦500,000 as Sallah Gift
