Connect with us

News

Niger accuses France of arming terrorists with weapons, drones to destabilise Sahel, Lake Chad

Published

on

Niger accuses France of arming terrorists with weapons, drones to destabilise Sahel, Lake Chad

By: Zagazola Makama

Niger’s military leader, President Abdourahmane Tchiani, has accused France of supplying weapons and supporting terrorist groups to destabilise the Sahel and Lake Chad Basin countries.

Speaking in Niamey during the weekend Chat on Niger’s National Television, Tchiani alleged that France, with the backing of Western allies, was fuelling insecurity to weaken the Alliance of Sahel States (AES) comprising Niger, Mali and Burkina Faso.

According to him, France has allegedly armed ISWAP to sustain instability in Nigeria, Niger, Mali, Burkina Faso and Chad.

He also accused President Bola Ahmed Tinubu of hub nosing with French President Macron.

He claimed that France was using the groups to prevent the AES from consolidating its sovereignty after expelling French troops and asserting control over national resources.

“France and its partners are doing everything possible to remain in Niger, Mali and Burkina Faso. They want one of our countries to fall so that they can re-enter through the back door,” Tchiani said.

He further alleged that France, alongside the United States, had provided drones and sophisticated weapons to terrorists operating in the Lake Chad Basin.

“In January this year, they initially deployed 150 Boko Haram fighters to occupy positions left Benin, after deadly attack by Jama’a Nusrat ul-Islam wa al-Muslimin (JNIM), in April 17, 2025, near the country’s northern borders with Burkina Faso and Niger – regions that left 70 Beninese soldiers killed. later, they increased the number of ISWAP fighters to 200, and most recently 250, to launch attacks on Niger and destabilise the wider region. France supplied these groups with arms and stationed them at Udullibi along our porous borders,” he added.

Tchiani recalled that Nigerien and Chadian troops had previously played a critical role in Nigeria’s counter-terrorism campaign, including major operations against ISWAP in Borno State.

He said Generals Muhammadu Toumba of Niger and another senior commander from Chad had led forces that cleared areas from Damasak up to Malam Fatori more than 100 kilometres.

“Relative peace in the region at that time was due to the joint sacrifices of Nigerien and Chadian soldiers, many of whom laid down their lives. But now, France and its partners have shifted the war to our soil because they see our unity in AES as a threat,” he said.

The Nigerien leader also accused France of exploiting uranium, gold and even water resources from Niger for decades while leaving the people in poverty.

He insisted that the AES, formed on Sept. 16, 2024, had empowered its members in security, diplomacy and the economy, and that the bloc was determined to resist foreign interference.

“France fears our success because it will end its exploitation of our natural wealth. That is why they are arming terrorists, shifting the battlefield, and using propaganda to weaken our resolve,” Tchiani declared.

He urged the people of Niger and neighbouring Sahel states to remain vigilant and united, stressing that only collective resistance could ensure lasting peace and sovereignty.

France has not yet formally responded to the latest allegations, but Western governments have consistently denied supporting terrorist groups in the Sahel.

Niger accuses France of arming terrorists with weapons, drones to destabilise Sahel, Lake Chad

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Police officer dies, 17 injured in auto crash along Potiskum–Bauchi road

Published

on

Police officer dies, 17 injured in auto crash along Potiskum–Bauchi road

By: Zagazola Makama

A senior police officer has died while 17 other passengers sustained injuries following a road accident along the Potiskum–Bauchi highway in Yobe State.

Sources said the crash occurred at about 3:15 p.m. on Feb. 21 near the bye-pass roundabout area of PKM on the outskirts of Potiskum.

The vehicle, a Toyota Hummer Bus belonging to Borno Express and conveying 18 passengers from Kaduna to Maiduguri, reportedly lost control after the rear tyre rim on the passenger side suddenly detached.

According to the sources , the driver veered off the road into a bush, resulting in fatal and multiple injuries.

One of the passengers, ACP Abubakar Ibrahim Balteh, 45, attached to the Borno State Police Command, sustained a severe head injury and died on the spot.

Two male and two female passengers escaped unhurt, while 13 others suffered serious injuries of varying degrees.

The injured victims and the deceased were evacuated to the General Hospital Potiskum for treatment and autopsy.

Police officer dies, 17 injured in auto crash along Potiskum–Bauchi road

Continue Reading

News

Troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA humiliate Lakurawa terrorists

Published

on

Troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA humiliate Lakurawa terrorists

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA have neutralised several of suspected Lakurawa terrorist elements following a failed attack on Dadinkowa community in Kebbi State.

Local intelligence sources said the armed group attempted to raid a local market in the early hours of Sunday and blocked a major access road into the community to facilitate the operation.

The sources disclosed that security forces responded swiftly after receiving distress alerts and engaged the attackers in a fierce gun battle, forcing them to retreat.

According to the sources, several of the assailants were neutralised during the encounter, while others escaped with suspected gunshot wounds.

The attempted market raid was successfully foiled, preventing potential civilian casualties and destruction of property.

Troops have since intensified patrols and clearance operations around Dadinkowa and adjoining areas to track fleeing elements and stabilise the security environment.

Troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA humiliate Lakurawa terrorists

Continue Reading

News

One killed as suspected IPOB/ESN militants attack Ogbakoba Market in Anambra

Published

on

One killed as suspected IPOB/ESN militants attack Ogbakoba Market in Anambra

By: Zagazola Makama

A 15-year-old boy was killed while security operatives repelled an attack by suspected members of the proscribed IPOB/ESN militia at Ogbakoba Market Arena in Anambra State.

Sources said the incident occurred on Feb. 21 at about 1:40 p.m., when a group of armed hoodlums emerged from a dense forest camp at Amiyi and opened sporadic fire at market-goers, apparently attempting to kidnap or rob residents.

A joint task force patrol team stationed at Amiyi responded swiftly, engaging the attackers in a fierce gun duel that forced them to retreat into the forest with bullet wounds. The injured boy was rushed to the village hospital but was confirmed dead on arrival. His body was deposited in the morgue for autopsy and preservation.

The sources added that later the same day at about 8:30 p.m., the armed group resurfaced near the community, snatching a shuttle bus with registration number HAL 987 XA and a GSM phone belonging to one Mr. Kinsley Iwunze of Okpotuno Odekpe, Ogbaru LGA.

Security operatives immediately dispatched teams to the scene, but the hoodlums had fled. Authorities said an aggressive manhunt was ongoing to apprehend the fleeing suspects.

One killed as suspected IPOB/ESN militants attack Ogbakoba Market in Anambra

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights