News
Niger Republic troops kill scores of ISWAP, lose two soldiers
Niger Republic troops kill scores of ISWAP, lose two soldiers
By: Zagazola Makama
The Niger Defense Military has killed scores of ISWAP terrorists in an encounter near Abadam Faransa along the River Komadugu in Lake Chad.
It was gathered that the troops recorded the feat on Friday, 2023, intercepting the terrorists that had been causing havoc within its territory.
Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that the encounter triggered a heavy gunbattle, leading to the killing scores of the terrorists, with around 100 fleeing to the tumbums.
The troops chased the terrorists towards the Tumbun Jaki and Tumbun Rago areas of Lake Chad. No further details were reported.
The troops lost two soldiers, while five others were wounded in action.
Meanwhile, the troops of the 68th Battalion launched heavy artillery fire throughout the night to prevent the infiltration of the terrorists into Nigeria.
Niger Republic troops kill scores of ISWAP, lose two soldiers
News
Fagbemi Seeks Major Reforms to Strengthen Enforcement of ECOWAS Court Judgments
Fagbemi Seeks Major Reforms to Strengthen Enforcement of ECOWAS Court Judgments
…ECOWAS Court Tells Nigeria: Enforcement of Judgments Is a Legal Duty, Not a Political Choice
By: Michael Mike
Nigeria’s Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Lateef O. Fagbemi, has called for sweeping reforms to strengthen the enforcement of judgments delivered by the ECOWAS Court of Justice, warning that weak compliance mechanisms risk undermining regional justice and integration.
Speaking at a Special Forum marking the 50th anniversary of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), Fagbemi said that while the Court has recorded significant milestones since becoming operational in 2001, its authority is being weakened by persistent enforcement challenges and structural gaps.
The Attorney-General acknowledged that the Court has delivered landmark judgments on human rights, governance and media freedom, earning credibility as a regional judicial body. However, he noted that the real test of any court lies not only in its pronouncements but in the willingness and capacity of member states to comply.
Fagbemi identified what he described as an “enforcement deficit” as one of the Court’s most pressing challenges, stressing that the Court lacks direct enforcement powers and depends largely on the goodwill of member states.
He also pointed to sovereignty concerns and political resistance, particularly in cases touching on sensitive constitutional or governance matters. According to him, some rulings have been criticised as stretching jurisdiction beyond the Court’s mandate or imposing obligations that are difficult to enforce domestically.
“These criticisms, whether justified or not, highlight the urgent need for clarity in the Court’s role and stronger institutional support,” he said.
The Attorney-General further observed that the absence of an appellate mechanism has contributed to perceptions of rigidity. Because judgments of the ECOWAS Court are final, he argued, states sometimes feel constrained by decisions they cannot challenge through a second-tier review process.
Drawing comparisons with other international judicial bodies, Fagbemi noted that courts such as the European Court of Human Rights and the Court of Justice of the European Union operate structured supervisory and review mechanisms that enhance acceptance of their rulings.
He said the ECOWAS Court’s lack of layered oversight and follow-up procedures makes its decisions more vulnerable to resistance, especially in politically sensitive cases or where substantial financial awards are involved.
Beyond judicial design, Fagbemi linked the Court’s challenges to what he described as broader institutional weaknesses within ECOWAS itself. Limited political authority, dependence on voluntary compliance by member states, and inconsistent enforcement across sectors such as trade and security, he said, have created a culture where non-compliance often carries minimal consequences.
“The weakness of ECOWAS as an institution directly translates into weakness of its judicial arm,” he stated, warning that if regional decisions are treated as advisory rather than binding, the rule of law at the supranational level will erode.
Despite the concerns, the Attorney-General said the bloc’s golden jubilee presents an opportunity to recalibrate and strengthen the regional justice architecture.
He proposed a series of reforms, including: Establishing a regional supervisory mechanism to monitor compliance with judgments and apply political pressure where necessary; Introducing an appellate or review process to enhance confidence in the Court’s decisions; Creating structured compliance hearings and mandatory follow-up reporting; Adopting clearer enforcement protocols; Exploring cooperation agreements similar to those used by other international courts.
Fagbemi emphasised that integration without justice is fragile, adding that the ECOWAS Court remains central to the region’s aspiration for accountability, cross-border justice and respect for human dignity.
“As we celebrate fifty years of ECOWAS, we must commit to a future where the rule of law is not merely an aspiration but a lived reality across West Africa,” he said.
On his part, the President of the ECOWAS Court of Justice, Hon. Justice Ricardo Gonçalves delivered a direct but diplomatically worded message to Nigeria: compliance with the Court’s judgments is not optional, but a binding legal obligation under Community law.
The President said judicial decisions lies “at the very heart of the credibility of our Community project.”
The address, delivered before Nigeria’s Attorney General, judges of the Court, representatives of the Nigerian Bar and senior government officials, underscored that the Court’s judgments are final, binding and immediately enforceable under the Revised ECOWAS Treaty and related protocols.
“Compliance with the Court’s decisions is not a political option — it is a legal obligation,” the President declared, stressing that the Court is not merely a judicial body but “a pillar of the regional rule of law.”
He noted that since the Court’s establishment, 128 cases have been instituted against the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Of that number, 66 cases have been closed; 10 have been executed; while 52 remain pending execution.
The figures, the President said, were not presented as censure but as an “objective basis for joint and profound reflection.”
He noted that: “If the Federal Republic of Nigeria leads by example, it will strengthen the authority of the Court and send a clear message of commitment to the regional rule of law.”
He acknowledged that non-compliance often stems not from outright refusal but from structural and institutional weaknesses.
Among the factors identified were: Absence of national coordination mechanisms to follow up on Court decisions; Budgetary and administrative constraints, particularly in cases involving financial compensation or structural reforms; Weak integration of Community decisions into domestic legal systems; Coordination gaps between executive, legislative and judicial branches; Political sensitivity of certain human rights and governance cases; Limited use of ECOWAS’ sanctions regime; Lack of a formal enforcement mandate for the Court itself; Delays in providing updates on implementation; Differences in legal systems across Member States.
He said: “These causes should not be viewed as accusations, but as institutional realities requiring structured responses and strengthened cooperation.”
He however warned that failure to enforce judgments, risks eroding the Court’s authority, weakening the Community legal system, diminishing citizens’ confidence in regional justice and harming West Africa’s international image at a time when the region seeks to project stability and institutional predictability.
He said: “Without enforcement, the decisions of the ECOWAS Court become merely declaratory,” the President said. “Declaratory justice without practical effect does not fulfil its transformative function.”
The warning comes amid renewed efforts by ECOWAS institutions to consolidate regional integration at a time of political transitions and governance challenges across parts of West Africa.
The Court also outlined steps already taken to improve compliance, including: Creation of a dedicated Enforcement Division within its Registry; Regular dialogue with designated national authorities; Setting deadlines for compliance within judgments; Follow-up requests to Member States on implementation status; Presentation of enforcement updates to the ECOWAS Council of Ministers and Conference of Heads of State and Government; Advocacy for ratification of all legal instruments relating to the Court.
The President however conceded that these measures “may not be sufficient” and called for deeper cooperation with Nigeria to identify additional solutions.
Fagbemi Seeks Major Reforms to Strengthen Enforcement of ECOWAS Court Judgments
News
Ramadan: Borno Distributes Palliatives to 300,000 Households
Ramadan: Borno Distributes Palliatives to 300,000 Households
By: Michael Mike
Borno State Governor, Prof. Babagana Zulum has launched the distribution of Ramadan relief materials to 300,000 vulnerable households across the state’s 27 local government areas, in one of the largest social support interventions this year.
The flag-off ceremony, held at Ramat Square in Maiduguri on Tuesday, marks the beginning of a statewide exercise aimed at easing the economic hardship faced by residents during the holy month of Ramadan.

Under the scheme, each beneficiary household will receive a bag of rice, a bag of millet and 10 kilogrammes of sugar.
Addressing members of the distribution committee and government officials at the event, Zulum issued a stern warning against diversion of the relief materials, insisting that the exercise must be conducted with strict accountability.
He said: “These items are not for sale. They are not meant for your friends or family members who do not need them.”
He stressed that the palliatives are intended for widows, orphans, internally displaced persons, struggling farmers and low-income earners grappling with rising living costs. Any official found compromising the process, he warned, would face legal consequences.
Zulum emphasised that fairness and transparency must guide the operation to ensure that the most vulnerable residents benefit from the intervention.
In a move reflecting religious inclusivity, the governor directed that Christian residents observing Lent — which coincides with Ramadan this year — should also benefit from the distribution.
He noted that his administration has consistently supported Christian communities, particularly during major religious celebrations. Beyond annual Christmas food distributions, the state government also provides free transportation for non-indigenous Christians travelling to celebrate the festive season with their families outside Borno.
Meanwhile, the senator representing Borno Central, Kaka Shehu Lawan, and the Secretary to the State Government, Bukar Tijani, praised the governor’s intervention, describing it as timely and critical in light of ongoing economic pressures.

Director-General of the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), Ali Abdullahi Isa, assured residents that the agency has put mechanisms in place to ensure a smooth and orderly distribution process across all local government areas.
The event drew a large turnout of senior government officials, including members of the House of Representatives, the Speaker and principal officers of the Borno State House of Assembly, and other key stakeholders.
With the rollout now underway, the Borno State Government says the exercise is part of broader efforts to strengthen social safety nets and support communities still recovering from years of insurgency and economic disruption.
Ramadan: Borno Distributes Palliatives to 300,000 Households
News
Nigeria, Netherlands Forge Stronger Pact to Combat Human Trafficking
Nigeria, Netherlands Forge Stronger Pact to Combat Human Trafficking
By: Michael Mike
Nigeria and the Kingdom of the Netherlands have stepped up joint efforts to dismantle human trafficking networks, as senior officials from both countries met in Abuja to review progress under the TIPVAP NG project — an initiative aimed at building a safer environment free from trafficking in persons and violence against vulnerable groups.
The Second project Steering Meeting was organized by the International Centre for Migration Policy Development (ICMPD) in partnership with NAPTIP, with support from the Ministry of Asylum and Migration of the Kingdom of the Netherlands under the Building and Environment Free of Human Trafficking and Violence Against Persons in Nigeria (TIPVAP NG) project
It was attended by a delegation from the Netherlands led by Victor Cramer, the Deputy Director General, Ministry of Asylum and Migration, Ms Isabelle Wolfsgruber, Nigeria Head of Office, Official of NAPTIP, led by the Director General, Binta Bello, Focal Persons from the relevant MDAs, and other Stakeholders.
At the heart of discussions was the Justice and Security Migration Partnership Programme, which officials described as a critical instrument for reinforcing Nigeria’s legal and institutional response to trafficking and violence.
Director-General of NAPTIP, Binta Bello, said the partnership has begun to produce measurable gains in investigations, prosecutions, and victim support services across selected states, including Benue, Delta, Edo, Enugu, Ogun and the Federal Capital Territory.
She noted that beyond enforcement, the initiative focuses on improving operational procedures, strengthening inter-agency collaboration, and deepening public awareness to prevent trafficking at its roots.
According to her, the Project Steering Committee serves as the programme’s highest oversight body, ensuring accountability, strategic direction, and alignment with both national priorities and international standards.
Bello emphasised that sustained international cooperation remains essential, particularly as trafficking networks continue to evolve and operate across borders. She called for renewed commitment to a victim-centred and rights-based approach that prioritises the protection and dignity of survivors.
Leader of the Dutch delegation, Victor Cramer, described Nigeria as a key partner in addressing irregular migration and trafficking flows between West Africa and Europe.
He pointed to data showing that Nigerian nationals remain significantly represented among trafficking victims identified in the Netherlands, especially in cases involving sexual exploitation and forced criminality. This reality, he said, underscores the need for coordinated prevention, protection and prosecution strategies.
Cramer commended Nigerian authorities for their commitment and stressed that stronger capacity building and intelligence-sharing would help reduce dangerous migration pathways exploited by criminal syndicates.
ICMPD’s Nigeria Head of Office, Isabelle Wolfsgruber, said the TIPVAP NG project is central to strengthening coordination between federal and state institutions under NAPTIP’s leadership. She highlighted the importance of awareness campaigns that equip communities with knowledge about trafficking risks and deceptive recruitment tactics.
Wolfsgruber added that the programme is designed not merely around activities, but around measurable outcomes — ensuring that institutional reforms translate into real protection for vulnerable persons.
The meeting ended with a renewed pledge by Nigeria, the Netherlands and ICMPD to deepen collaboration, strengthen institutional capacity, and sustain a coordinated national response against human trafficking and violence.
For both countries, officials agreed, the fight against trafficking is not only a security priority but also a shared humanitarian responsibility — one that demands persistence, partnership and people-focused solutions.
Nigeria, Netherlands Forge Stronger Pact to Combat Human Trafficking
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News10 months agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
