National News
Nigeria Currently Working on Deepening Bilateral Relations with US, Says Tuggar
Nigeria Currently Working on Deepening Bilateral Relations with US, Says Tuggar
By: Michael Mike
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Amb. Yusuf Tuggar has revealed that Nigeria is currently working to deepen bilateral relations with the United States in line President Bola Tinubu’s Nigeria’s foreign policy thrust and initiatives.
Tuggar, made the revelation at the 248th U.S. independence anniversary dinner organized by the U.S. Embassy in Abuja on Tuesday.
The Minister who was represented by the Director of Regions in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Amb. Janet Olisa, said deepening Nigeria-U.S. ties would further cement their many years of cooperation and friendship.
The minister noted that the signing of the Nigeria-U.S. Binational Cooperation was one of the major foreign policy initiatives of the Tinubu administration that would be strengthened, while others would be explored.
He noted that Nigeria-U.S. bilateral relations had been nurtured over the years with various cooperations that have strengthened their ties.
He said: “Since our independence, we have been two nations that have continued to watch our friendship, our bond, and cooperation very tightly.
“One of the major things that happened this year was the Nigeria-U.S. Binational Cooperation agreement, and it is a testament of how important and cordial our relationship is.
“The Secretary of State just left Nigeria not too long ago. And to ensure that we had a smooth running, the Deputy Secretary of State, who had just been confirmed, hurried up to Nigeria to ensure that we had a very successful by Binational.”
The minister said that there were several other agreements and cooperations with the U.S. that Nigeria was looking into with a view to deepening and strengthening them.
“We are also looking into security, which is key to the African nation and very key to Nigeria. We are looking at strengthening the security bond between us we are thankful for all the security cooperation that we receive,” he said.
The Minister also expressed Nigeria’s gratitude to the U.S. for the various interventions in the country’s health sector challenges.
He said: “We are also grateful that in the Ministry of Health, we’ve been able to get some collaborations as well in all the AIDS programmes that have been going on.
“That is the bond of friendship, as we welcome also the incoming ambassador. We know he’s going to have a wonderful time here. I must say that we Nigerians are a people that have always understood the importance of nationhood.
“Nationhood is key to us and for that our security cannot be taken for granted. So I wish you all a very fruitful celebration and we join you to say Happy Independence.”
Speaking earlier, Amb. Richard Mills, the newly appointed U.S. Ambassador to Nigeria, said the two countries were two proud federal republics that shared a commitment to democracy and freedom.
He said that they both shared the belief that was expressed in the US Declaration of Independence 248 years ago, adding that every Nigerian and U.S. citizen shared in the right to life to liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
“As I settle into Abuja and into my role as the 22nd U.S. Ambassador to Nigeria, I look forward to meeting with many of you and how we will work together to strengthen our ties.”
Also speaking, Amb. David Greene, U.S. Embassy’s Deputy Head of Mission and Charge d’Affairs, said that the occasion was an opportunity to take a quick look at the state of the two nations’ ties, particularly given the incredible momentum in their relationship.
The U.S. envoy disclosed that there are 700,000 Nigerians living and working in the U.S., saying it underscored the significance of the U.S.-Nigeria people-to-people ties, which is the bedrock of the relationship.
Greene added that: “Our bond has always been strong. But lately it feels like we’re really sprinting forward together to make Nigerians and Americans more secure, more healthy, more prosperous.”
Nigeria Currently Working on Deepening Bilateral Relations with US, Says Tuggar
National News
El-Rufai Puts Ribadu on Trial
El-Rufai Puts Ribadu on Trial
By Frank Tietie
A man who is neither drunk nor high on drugs, but in his clear and sane mind, goes on a prime-time show on a continental television network like the Arise News Channel and proclaims that he got information from someone who tapped the phone line of the National Security Adviser (NSA) of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. How should the Nigerian government react?
It becomes a Catch-22 for the Nigerian government whether to respond to El-Rufai’s latest tirade. But to react hastily would fail to see the damning point Nasir El-Rufai is trying to make, which is to show the ineptitude of Nuhu Ribadu as NSA. The government should have seen through the former Kaduna State governor’s bravado.
Of course, El-Rufai knows the possibility that Ribadu would fall for the trick and might actually order his detention, either for statements made on live international television or for the bared waiting fangs of the EFCC. Sonit appears he had prepared for the worst, but probably not for death in the hands of his sworn enemies through poisoning. Hence, he immediately alerted the world to the Gestapo treatment that is usually given to some government enemies when they are in detention. So he quickly accuses the same Nuhu Ribadu of importing thallium sulphate, a lethal poison suitable for eliminating political enemies quietly. This he has done, in case he, himself or any other opposition politicians die in detention as 2027 approaches. What a way to shift the burden?
The choice of the government to charge El-Rufai for cybercrimes over the claims he made on live on Arise News Prime Time show about tapping the NSA’s phone is a tacit yet loud acknowledgement that any NSA whose phone can be tapped so easily is not only incompetent, but highly undisciplined and lackadaisical on national security matters. Tell me, which serious country, like the United States of America, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Russia, or Saudi Arabia, would take the National Security Adviser of Nigeria seriously if they knew that an ordinary citizen could easily tap his phone?
What Malam Nasir El-Rufai has done is not to present technical evidence of interception. Rather, he has thrown a political gauntlet designed to provoke a reaction. The trap is simple: once the state moves against him, the conversation shifts from the accuracy of his claim to the conduct and capability of those charged with safeguarding national security.
A hurried resort to criminal prosecution risks missing the wider implication that public officers, particularly those occupying sensitive security positions, are expected to inspire confidence, not anxiety.
Therefore, if the state frames a prosecution around a claim that the NSA’s line could be tapped, the unintended consequence is that the allegation receives international circulation, renewed media life and diplomatic attention. In effect, the courtroom becomes a megaphone for the NSA’s failures.
Consequently, if the charge against El-Rufai is driven by reputational discomfort or the political embarrassment that he has caused Ribadu or the Tinubu government. It risks being counterproductive, especially in a democratic setting that has a high tolerance for speech directed at public officials.
Statements that are provocative, speculative or even reckless are often part of political contestation, especially as 2027 approaches. They should not be the basis for criminal charges. Such statements are best answered by clarification, transparency, and institutional reassurance, rather than the coercive weight of arrest, arraignment, and trial.
To prosecute El-Rufai in circumstances such as this may therefore produce the exact opposite of deterrence. It can elevate and transform him into a cause, especially among Northern Nigeria elements, and suggest that the government is more eager to punish criticism than to disprove it.
The other dimension is the possibility that such a trial would invite scrutiny, arguments, cross-examinations, and global reporting, further exposing Ribadu or the government. Meanwhile, silence would have buried it faster.
Instead of dismissing El-Rufai as someone probably chasing political clout, the choice to charge him would validate his point and expose Nuhu Ribadu as unfit to be NSA.
El-Rufai is no ordinary politician. He combines the arts of casuistry, statecraft, populism and activism for political relevance, and he is yet on another journey to reinvent himself politically to the detriment of his foes like Ribadu. But he also wants to come out alive. And even if he dies in the process, he seems not to care much, as long as such would deal the maximum blow to the political careers of his traducers.
If anyone thinks El-Rufai is being diminished by his latest travails, they should think again. In fact, it is he who is putting some persons on trial in the court of reason.
Frank Tietie
Lawyer and Public Affairs Commentator,
Writes from Abuja
El-Rufai Puts Ribadu on Trial
National News
Civil Society Escalates Pressure on Senate Over ‘Conditional’ Electronic Transmission Clause
Civil Society Escalates Pressure on Senate Over ‘Conditional’ Electronic Transmission Clause
By: Michael Mike
Tension over proposed changes to Nigeria’s electoral framework deepened on Monday as the Nigeria Civil Society Situation Room demanded the immediate adoption of unconditional electronic transmission of results in the amendment to the Electoral Act, warning that any dilution of the reform could erode public trust ahead of the 2027 general elections.
At a protest held at the entrance of the National Assembly in Abuja, the coalition accused the Senate of weakening critical safeguards in the Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2025 by introducing what it described as “conditional transmission” of results.
Addressing demonstrators, Co-Convener of the Situation Room and Country Director of ActionAid Nigeria, Andrew Mamedu, said Nigerians were demanding a clear, mandatory provision that compels real-time electronic transmission of results from polling units without exceptions.
“Our future is in our hands because we voted for these representatives. On behalf of Nigerians, we are stating unequivocally that electronic transmission of results must be mandatory and without conditions,” Mamedu declared.
The coalition argued that the Senate’s version departs from earlier understandings reached during consultations between stakeholders and the Joint National Assembly Committee on Electoral Matters. It warned that inserting discretionary clauses could create legal ambiguities capable of being exploited during elections.
Specifically, the group urged the conference committee reconciling the Senate and House versions of the bill to adopt the House of Representatives’ position making real-time electronic transmission from polling units to the INEC Result Viewing Portal compulsory.
According to the protesters, anything short of mandatory transmission risks reopening controversies that trailed previous elections and could undermine voter confidence in the electoral system.
They also called for the retention of the 360-day election notice timeline contained in earlier drafts of the amendment, stressing that predictable timelines are essential for planning, voter education and logistics.
In a letter presented to lawmakers, the coalition stated: “Instead of strengthening Nigeria’s electoral framework, the Senate amendment weakens key safeguards necessary for credibility and public trust.”
On concerns about network coverage and technical feasibility, the group insisted that real-time transmission is achievable. It cited previous off-cycle governorship elections in states such as Imo, Kogi and Bayelsa, where high transmission rates were recorded.
The coalition dismissed claims that connectivity gaps would cripple the system, noting that telecommunications data show that areas without network access constitute only a small fraction of polling units nationwide. It explained that results are first collated at polling units before being uploaded, and where connectivity is unavailable, the system can securely store data and automatically transmit once network access is restored.
Civil society organisations also faulted remarks attributed to the Senate President questioning the practicality of real-time transmission, maintaining that the infrastructure and technology required are already in place.
At the rally, women’s advocacy groups broadened the protest, calling for the expedited passage of the special seats bill for women as part of ongoing constitutional amendments. They argued that electoral integrity must go hand in hand with inclusive representation.
Responding on behalf of the House of Representatives, spokesperson Akin Rotimi assured protesters that their concerns would be conveyed to the leadership of the chamber. He said the Speaker supports the amendment, while the Deputy Speaker is among its sponsors.
Rotimi acknowledged the low representation of women in the legislature as a “serious injustice” and pledged that constitutional amendment proposals, including provisions for reserved seats for women, would be subjected to electronic voting.
Despite the assurances, the Situation Room vowed to sustain advocacy until a final version of the bill guarantees compulsory, real-time electronic transmission of results and restores what it described as the “spirit of reform” demanded by Nigerians.
“This is about protecting the people’s mandate,” the protesters said. “We will not relent until the law reflects the will of the citizens.”
Civil Society Escalates Pressure on Senate Over ‘Conditional’ Electronic Transmission Clause
National News
VP Shettima Attends AU Heads of State Plenary Session
VP Shettima Attends AU Heads of State Plenary Session
By: Our Reporter
Vice President Kashim Shettima is attending the plenary of the 39th Ordinary Session of the Assembly of Heads of State and Government of the African Union in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

The opening session has drawn leaders from across the continent and beyond, as delegates convene to address critical issues under this year’s theme: “Assuring Sustainable Water Availability and Safe Sanitation Systems to Achieve the Goals of Agenda 2063.”

The Vice President is representing President Bola Ahmed Tinubu at the high-level gathering.
VP Shettima Attends AU Heads of State Plenary Session
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News10 months agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
