News
Nigeria, Japan to deepen bilateral relations, to strengthen security, economic ties
Nigeria, Japan to deepen bilateral relations, to strengthen security, economic ties
By: Michael Mike
Nigeria and Japan on Tuesday agreed to deepen bilateral relations between both countries.
The agreement was reached during the visit of Japanese Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ms. Kamikawa Yoko to Nigeria.
Nigeria is the first country, sub-Sahara Africa that Yoko will be visiting sincer her appointment as Foreign Minister late last year.
Speaking after a closed door meeting with his Japanese counterpart, at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Abuja, Tuggar said they discuss various issues bothering on economy, security amongst others.
He disclosed at a joint press conference, that both parties agreed on the need to increase trade volume between both countries.
He said: “We held fruitful and open discussions on topical issues that are of importance to our bilateral relations including economic cooperation, collaboration in international affairs, the crisis in the Sahel region as well as other regional issues.
“During our discussions, Ms. Yoko and I agreed that although Nigeria and Japan enjoy robust economic relations, there is need for engagements in that regard in order to increase the volume of trade between both countries. We discussed the opportunities for investment in the Nigerian market, particularly in areas of Manufacturing, digital technology, solid minerals and capacity building. Both sides have agreed to leverage on the outcomes of this meeting towards ensuring deeper economic collaborations.
“We talked about cooperation with Japan to address the root cause of terrorism and instability in the Sahel region as well, as the issue of Boko Haram in North Eastern Nigeria. We agreed on the crucial need for all stakeholders to shore up efforts towards combatting the ugly menace of terrorism within the region. On her part, the Japanese Foreign Minister has assured of the continued support of her government towards ending the crisis within the regions.
“Other issues bordered on cooperation between Nigeria and Japan at International Fora. We shared common views regarding the much-needed reform at the United Nations Security Council, for a balanced geographical representation, the need for nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation of arms as well as the need for increased advocacy for Women, Peace and Security (WPS).
“Nigeria considers Japan an important partner in bilateral, regional and global affairs. We held extensive discussions on the upcoming 9th Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD) Summit in 2025, as well as the Ministerial Meeting coming up in August, this year. I have assured Minister Kamikawa of Nigeria’s continued active participation at the TICAD Summits.”
The Japanese Minister, on her part pledged her country’s support for economic amd political stability of Nigeria and other countries in gulf of Guinea.
She said: “I had a candid discussion with Minister Trudeau on strength nomic relations, support for the political and economic stability of Nigeria and other coastal countries of Gulf of Guinea and enhancements of cooperation on Africa and global issue.
“At the outset I welcome the economic relations between the two countries are being dynamically strengthened, powered and achievements of virtuous cycle in which both economies can grow together, including the recent expansion of the investment for startups and from venture capital and arrangements or new developing cooperation in the areas of food security and health.
“Futher, we shared a view to deepen our cooperation to link Japanese financial resources and technology with Nigeria’s vitality and to create a virtuous circle in which both countries businesses and economies can grow together.
“With regard to supporting the political and economic stability of Nigeria and other coastal countries of Gulf of Guniea, I explained that Japan attaches great importance to the stability of Northeast Region of Nigeria and has been improved with providing assistance to communities and displaced persons.
“Also, I shared the recognition with the minister to the both countries are concerned about the prolonged instability in the Sahel region, and that it is important to contribute to peace and stability of the Sahel region and coastal countries of Gulf of Guinea and to promote their sustainable growth.
“On strengthening cooperation in Africa and global issues, we share the view on enhancement of cooperation in international arena. Including disarmament and the WTF.
“Especially with regard to WPF. We also share the view to further strengthen cooperation in the field of the WPS with Nigeria. We’re many women in the octave through Japanese efforts which we would incorporate perspective of the WTF if you guys didn’t know give us
“In the lead up to the ticket Minister meeting in August this year and ticket nine in August next year? It’s just how will futher and runs our partnership with Nigeria, an important partner in CO creating and developing solutions to Africa and global challenges?”
The Japanese Minister, who also paid a visit on the United Nations Women promised his country’s continued support for the activities of the organisation especially interventions in the North East of Nigeria.
The Country Representative of UN Women in Nigeria, Ms. Beatrice Eyong thanked her for the visit, acknowledging the support of Japan in the activities of UN Women.
Nigeria, Japan to deepen bilateral relations, to strengthen security, economic ties
News
Operation Whirl Stroke arrests cow rustling suspects fuelling violence in Benue
Operation Whirl Stroke arrests cow rustling suspects fuelling violence in Benue
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of the Joint Task Force (JTF) Operation WHIRL STROKE have arrested suspects linked to cattle rustling in Benue State, following two separate security incidents in Guma Local Government Area.

Security sources said that on Feb. 15, troops responded to an attack on herders at Amua Village, located between Daudu and Umenger/Ukpiam. The attack left one herder dead, while another sustained gunshot wounds and was evacuated to Keana in neighbouring Nasarawa State for urgent medical attention. The remains of the deceased were handed over to community representatives for burial according to local customs.

In a related operation on the same day, troops stationed at Ukpiam acted on intelligence provided by vigilant youths concerning suspected cattle rustling. The troops arrested a 23-year-old suspect, Terngu Aondohemba, who reportedly confessed to killing two cattle belonging to Fulani herders. He also implicated two accomplices, Akpehe and Ashinge, who are still at large.
Further investigation led security operatives to Korje Village in Daudu, where Mrs. Mercy Onban, wife of the alleged buyer of the stolen meat, was apprehended along with the recovered meat exhibits. Both suspects remain in custody pending further investigation.

The Force Commander of the Joint Task Force, Major General Moses Gara, condemned the attacks and criminality, affirming the commitment of Operation WHIRL STROKE to halting killings and cattle rustling in the Joint Operations Area.
He urged community leaders to strengthen collaboration with security agencies, stressing that timely intelligence sharing is critical to restoring lasting peace. Major General Gara also reassured law-abiding residents of the strong resolve of the Joint Task Force to protect lives and property across the region.
Operation Whirl Stroke arrests cow rustling suspects fuelling violence in Benue
News
Federal Government arraigns Nasir El-Rufai over alleged phone interception
Federal Government arraigns Nasir El-Rufai over alleged phone interception
By: Zagazola Makama
The Federal Government has charged former Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, before the Federal High Court, Abuja, over alleged unlawful interception of phone communications belonging to the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.
Court documents showed that El-Rufai, 65, appeared as a guest on Arise TV’s Prime Time Programme on Feb. 13, 2026, where he reportedly admitted to involvement in the interception and to knowing individuals who carried out the act without reporting them to security agencies.

The charges, filed under TABU DET CR/99/2026, include: Count One, Allegedly admitting during the television interview that he and his associates unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, contrary to Section 12 (1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
Count Two, Allegedly stating that he knew individuals who unlawfully intercepted the same communications but failed to report them, in violation of Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024. Count Three, Allegedly using technical systems to compromise public safety and national security, and instilling apprehension among Nigerians, in breach of Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.
The case, filed by a team of Federal Government lawyers led by ME Ernest, OM Owan, UM Bulla, CS Eze, and VE G. Orubor, is set to proceed with investigations and trial proceedings.

Authorities said the matter falls under the jurisdiction of the Abuja Judicial Division of the Federal High Court, where the accused will be required to respond to the charges.
The trial is expected to attract significant public attention given the high-profile nature of the accused and the sensitive security issues involved.
Federal Government arraigns Nasir El-Rufai over alleged phone interception
News
Clash over graveyard access leaves several injured in Kaduna
Clash over graveyard access leaves several injured in Kaduna
By: Zagazola Makama
A disagreement between youths over access to a graveyard escalated into violence on Monday in parts of Kaduna South area of Kaduna State, leaving several persons injured and two houses burnt.
Security sources said a distress call received at about 9:00 a.m. indicated that youths from Makera Village had gone to Ungwan Mission to clear bushes around an abandoned Muslim graveyard in an effort to reopen it.
During the exercise, a youth from Ungwan Mission was reportedly prevented from passing through the site, a development that led him to mobilise others from his community to confront those clearing the graveyard.
The confrontation degenerated into a free-for-all fight, during which some participants sustained injuries and were rushed to hospitals for treatment. Two houses were also set ablaze in Ungwan Mission, though no loss of life was recorded.
Authorities said an emergency stakeholders’ meeting was convened by the Kaduna State Government and led by the Speaker of the State House of Assembly.
The meeting was attended by the Commissioner for Internal Security, representatives of the police, military and Department of State Services (DSS), chairmen of Kaduna South and Chikun Local Government Areas, as well as leaders of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Jama’atu Nasril Islam (JNI), youth leaders and other stakeholders.
Security agencies said efforts were ongoing to identify and arrest those involved in the violence, while measures had been put in place to prevent further breakdown of law and order in the area.
Clash over graveyard access leaves several injured in Kaduna
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News10 months agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
