Connect with us

International

Nigerians in New York bemoan shortage of passport booklets

Published

on

Nigerians in New York bemoan shortage of passport booklets

Nigerians in New York bemoan shortage of passport booklets

Nigerians in New York, under the aegis of the Organisation for the Advancement of Nigerians (OAN Inc.), have expressed dissatisfaction over the shortage of passport booklets at Nigeria Consulates in the U.S.

They are calling on the Nigeria government to release adequate passport booklets for its missions in the U.S. and across the globe, noting that passport insurance is a basic service that every citizen should enjoy without stress.

Officials of the association who spoke at a virtual Town Hall meeting in New York, frowned at the shortage and urged the Nigeria government to ship enough booklets to missions abroad to enable them to clear backlogs.

According to the officials of OAN, the Nigeria Consulate in New York has a backlog of about 7,000 passports.

Mr Yinka Dansalami, Chairman, Board of OAN, said the members of the community had been calling and asking about the delay in getting their passports as some had applied close to five months without doing biometrics.

“We are very concerned about the development and the effect on the members, especially during this summer due to heavy holiday travels and during December,” he said.

Mr Francis James, a leader at the organisation said the shortage of the booklet had hindered the progress recorded in its advocacy work to ensure improved services at the Consulate.

He said the OAN had been engaging the Consul-General (CG), Amb. Lot Egopija, and he has been doing his best to improve on consular services until the challenge of shortage of passport booklets set it.

The official said prior to June 28, passport insurance had stopped for four weeks at the Consulate in New York.

“We know those who had their biometrics done as of Feb. 4 had not collected their passports because of shortage of booklets, the Consulate stopped on Feb. 3.

“We know the Consulate in New York has a backlog of about 7,000 passports that needed to be issued. We don’t have the numbers for our missions in Atlanta and Washington D.C.

“We suspect that the number could also be very high.

“We know that as of Wednesday, we received word that 2,000 passport booklets had been delivered so it means they will start processing passports from Feb. 4,” he said.

James said prior to the Feb. 3, the Consulate was already four months behind, meaning that those who did biometric as of June 28 would not get their passports ready until sometime in October.

“If your biometrics is done in August, your passport will not be ready until February 2023. Where in the world will take eight months for a citizen of a nation to get his passport?” he asked.

According to him, most of the issues are not within the control of Embassies and Consulates in diaspora but the way government has set up its Immigration Service under the supervision of Ministry of Interior.

In addition, he said the Centralised Portal recently inaugurated by the Nigerian Immigration Service, which made the Consulate in New York to discontinue its appointment portal was not friendly, noting that the earliest day one can get on the portal now is Oct. 28, that is, four months in advance.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, had on June 16 denied shortage of passport booklets in Nigeria, saying the country was contending with ‘human challenges.’

“We don’t understand what the minister meant by human challenges but whatever it is, it should be addressed because if not, Nigerians will be so frustrated, and they will not be able to travel home in December,” James said.

OAN Inc. was founded in 1989 by a group of concerned Nigerians to address the needs of the Nigerian community.

Nigerians in New York bemoan shortage of passport booklets

International

UK Abolishes Visa Stickers for Nigerians, Introduces Mandatory eVisas from Feb 25

Published

on

UK Abolishes Visa Stickers for Nigerians, Introduces Mandatory eVisas from Feb 25

By: Michael Mike

The United Kingdom will from 25 February 2026 stop issuing physical visa stickers to Nigerian travellers, replacing them entirely with digital eVisas in what officials describe as a major overhaul of the country’s immigration system.

Announcing the change in Abuja, UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) said all new Visit visas granted to Nigerian nationals will now be issued electronically, marking a decisive step in the UK’s transition to a fully digital border regime.

Under the new system, successful applicants will no longer receive a vignette pasted into their passport. Instead, they will access proof of their immigration status online through a secure UKVI account.

The British government stressed that the application procedure itself remains unchanged. Nigerian applicants must still complete the standard online process, attend a Visa Application Centre to submit biometric data and meet all existing eligibility requirements. The only adjustment is the format in which the visa is delivered.

Authorities clarified that Nigerians currently holding valid visa stickers will not be affected by the new policy. Their visas will remain valid until expiration and do not require replacement solely because of the transition.

British Deputy High Commissioner in Abuja, Gill Lever, said the move is designed to simplify travel while enhancing security.

“We are committed to making it easier for Nigerians to travel to the UK. This shift to digital visas streamlines a key part of the process, strengthens security and reduces reliance on paper documentation,” she said.

According to UKVI, the eVisa system is expected to shorten processing timelines since passports will no longer need to be retained for visa sticker endorsement. Travellers will also be able to view and manage their immigration status online at any time, from anywhere.

Officials highlighted the added security benefits of the digital format, noting that unlike physical stickers, eVisas cannot be lost, stolen or tampered with. The system is also designed to provide real-time verification of immigration status.

Once a visa is approved, applicants will be required to create a free UKVI account to access and share their eVisa details when necessary.

The policy shift signals a broader modernization of the UK’s border management framework and places Nigerian travellers among the first groups to experience the fully digital visa rollout.

For frequent travellers, students and business visitors, the reform represents a significant procedural change—one that replaces paper documentation with an online immigration record as the new standard for entry clearance into the United Kingdom.

UK Abolishes Visa Stickers for Nigerians, Introduces Mandatory eVisas from Feb 25

Continue Reading

International

Nigerian seeks repatriation after alleged forced recruitment into Russian military

Published

on

Nigerian seeks repatriation after alleged forced recruitment into Russian military

By: Zagazola Makama

A Nigerian citizen, Abubakar Adamu, has appealed to the Nigerian government for urgent repatriation after claiming he was lured to Russia under the pretext of civilian employment and coerced into military service.

Adamu’s legal representatives stated that he traveled to Moscow on a tourist visa issued by the Russian Embassy in Abuja, under the promise of employment as a civilian security guard. However, upon arrival, his travel documents were reportedly confiscated, and he was compelled to sign enlistment papers written entirely in Russian, without the assistance of an interpreter. He later discovered that the documents enrolled him into the Russian Armed Forces.

A formal notice submitted to Nigerian authorities cited several legal positions, including the doctrine of Non Est Factum, which argues that Adamu did not understand the nature of the contract he signed, and fundamental misrepresentation, alleging that he was deceived into military service. His lawyers also highlighted potential violations of international law, including forced military conscription and deprivation of personal freedom.

According to the brief, Adamu remains stranded at a Russian military camp, refusing deployment to combat zones in Ukraine. He is reportedly seeking immediate intervention from the Nigerian government to facilitate his safe return and reunite him with his family.

The allegations come amid broader reports of African nationals being conscripted into the Russian military. A CNN investigation reported that Nigerians, along with citizens from Ghana, Kenya, Uganda, South Africa and other countries, were allegedly recruited under promises of high salaries, signing bonuses, and eventual Russian citizenship.

Upon arrival, many were forced into military service, provided minimal training, and in some cases deployed to combat zones against their will. Reports further indicate racial abuse, inhumane treatment, and coercion.Reports indicate that this is part of a growing pattern in which African nationals are being lured to the frontlines to sustain Russia’s war efforts.

Ukraine’s foreign minister, Andrii Sybiha, disclosed last year that more than 1,400 citizens from 36 African countries are reportedly fighting for Russia in Ukraine, with many being held in Ukrainian camps as prisoners of war. Kenya’s Ministry of Foreign and Diaspora Affairs has similarly reported that over 200 of its nationals may be in Ukraine, having been deceived by online recruitment networks advertising fake jobs.

The human cost of the recruitment drive remains largely unknown. It is unclear how many Nigerians have died while fighting for Russian forces, and Russia has not formally responded to reports of Nigerian casualties.

But speaking at a press conference in Abuja, the Russian Ambassador to Nigeria, Andrey Podyelyshev, denied that the recruitment was state-sponsored. “There is no government-backed programme to recruit Nigerians to fight in Ukraine.

“If illegal organisations or individuals are involved in such activities, they are acting outside the law and without any connection to the Russian state,” he said. Podyelyshev added that Russia would investigate any reported cases if provided with concrete evidence.

Zagazola warned that the case draws attention to the serious risks to Nigerian citizens traveling abroad for employment. Their is a need for stronger government oversight, diplomatic intervention, and public awareness to prevent exploitation and ensure the safety of nationals in foreign jurisdictions.

Adamu’s legal team has formally demanded that Russian authorities immediately cease his military deployment, return his confiscated travel documents, and facilitate his repatriation to Nigeria.

The Nigerian Ministry of Foreign Affairs has yet to comment on Adamu’s appeal, leaving families and civil society groups calling for immediate diplomatic action and repatriation of their citizens caught in what is described as a transnational human rights and labor exploitation crisis.

This incident calls for urgent examination about the protection of Nigerian citizens abroad, the oversight of foreign employment schemes, and the responsibilities of international partners to safeguard human rights. Without decisive government intervention, more Nigerians may fall victim to similar coercive recruitment tactics, potentially placing them in life-threatening situations far from home without any help

Nigerian seeks repatriation after alleged forced recruitment into Russian military

Continue Reading

International

Nigeria, China Mark 55 Years of Diplomatic Relations at 2026 Chinese New Year Temple Fair

Published

on

Nigeria, China Mark 55 Years of Diplomatic Relations at 2026 Chinese New Year Temple Fair

By: Michael Mike

Nigeria and China have reaffirmed their longstanding diplomatic and strategic partnership as both countries marked the 55th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations during the 2026 “Happy Chinese New Year” Temple Fair in Abuja.

The celebration, held at the Chinese Cultural Centre at the weekend, brought together senior government officials, diplomats, business leaders, cultural organisations and members of the Chinese and Nigerian communities. The event also coincided with the celebration of the Chinese Lunar New Year, the Year of the Horse, symbolising strength, resilience and progress.

China’s Chargé d’Affaires in Nigeria, Zhou Hongyou, said the Spring Festival had grown beyond a traditional celebration to become a global cultural event promoting peace, harmony and mutual understanding among nations. He noted that the festival’s inclusion on UNESCO’s Intangible Cultural Heritage list had further strengthened its global significance.

Zhou described the temple fair as a practical expression of China’s commitment to cultural dialogue and people-to-people engagement, adding that cultural exchanges remain a key pillar of China–Nigeria relations. He highlighted the steady growth of bilateral cooperation in areas such as trade, infrastructure, education, science, tourism and cultural exchange.

Reflecting on the history of bilateral ties, Zhou recalled that Nigeria and China established diplomatic relations in 1971 and have since developed a partnership founded on mutual respect, equality and shared development. He noted that the relationship was elevated to a Comprehensive Strategic Partnership in 2024, opening a new chapter of deeper cooperation between both countries.

Also speaking, the Director-General and Global Liaison of the Nigeria–China Strategic Partnership (NCSP), Joseph Tegbe, reaffirmed Nigeria’s commitment to the One-China Principle, describing it as central to the strong and enduring relationship between the two nations.

Tegbe said Nigeria’s partnership with China has delivered tangible benefits, particularly in infrastructure development, industrial growth and human capacity building. He acknowledged China’s contributions to key projects such as rail infrastructure and port development, which he said continue to support Nigeria’s economic transformation.

He disclosed that Nigeria is advancing new cooperative initiatives in agriculture, steel production and education, including a large-scale poultry programme designed to boost food security, create jobs and support local farmers. He also expressed optimism about renewed efforts to revitalise the Ajaokuta Steel Complex in collaboration with Chinese partners.

According to Tegbe, both countries are committed to strengthening educational and knowledge exchanges through scholarships, joint research and the development of industrial parks that will promote technology transfer and skills development.

The speakers noted that 2026 has been designated the China–Africa Year of People-to-People Exchanges, providing an opportunity to deepen cultural understanding and expand cooperation beyond government-to-government engagement.

The event featured martial arts displays by the Chinese Wushu Association, cultural performances by Nigerian and Chinese artistes, exhibitions on Chinese culture and tourism, and interactive activities aimed at promoting friendship between the two peoples.

Nigeria, China Mark 55 Years of Diplomatic Relations at 2026 Chinese New Year Temple Fair

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights