Uncategorized
NIN enrolment hits 107 million
NIN enrolment hits 107 million
…Nigerians to Pay for Proposed Multipurpose ID card
By: Michael Mike
The National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) on Friday disclosed that the National Identity Number (NIN) has reached 107.338,044, showing a growth of 3.2 million from the 104 million reported as at the end of last year.
The Commission also announced ongoing plans to introduce a general multipurpose NIN card for which Nigerians will be required to pay.
Speaking at a media briefing in Abuja, the Director General of the Commission, Abisoye Coker-Odusote, equally disclosed that in addition to the surge in enrollment, the Commission is not resting on its oars as it would stop at nothing to ensure every Nigerian was registered.
She revealed that the commission is revamping its systems, implementing cutting-edge technologies to upgrade its outdated equipments, and cracking down on fraudsters and extortionists.
She said with the continuous expansion of enrollment centres across the country, the Commission would be in a position to record total registration of Nigerians.
Coker-Odusote noted that in the next six to eight months, the system which capacity presently stands at 100 million would be upgraded to 250 million.
She further mentioned that the Commission intends to review the prices for its services to improve service delivery to Nigerians, noting that the Commission would prosecute any staff members caught conniving with illegal actors.
She said: “All we are trying to do is to ensure that we provide a robust service for Nigerian citizens and legal residents. And to ensure that life is easy and seamless. One should not spend three to four hours in the NIMC office because of NIN services. It is something I will not allow to continue to happen. We will provide all necessary means to address the issue.
“We are clamping down extortioners parading themselves as NIMC staff. A lot of people have lost their money to extortioners.
“Any staff of NIMC that tries to work with illegal perpetrators will face disciplinary committee and be tried according to the Cybercrime Act 2015 and the Nigeria Data Protection Act 2023. Same with any illegal perpetrators.
“We will make sure we create proper communication to gauge against extortioners.
“We are going to review our rate. It is not going to be much, but it will be reviewed. We have not reviewed our rate for a long time. It is not going to be exorbitant”.
She explained that Nigerians would have to pay a certain amount of money to access the new general multipurpose national identity card through financial institutions in the country, saying the card would allow them access to different digital services and enhance financial inclusion.
“Just like how you pay to access your ATM cards in the banks, Nigerians will pay through the banks to access their cards within 48 hours. We are partnering with Afrigo to ensure seamless delivery of cards to citizens after payment to get the digital multipurpose card,” She said.
She said applicants for the card will have to request with their NIN through a self-service online portal or the banks, insisting that NIN registration remains free for citizens of the country.
She further explained that NIMC is collaborating with the Students Loan Board, NYSC, and other government institutions responsible for palliatives distribution will soon start using NIMC identity database for services of government to ensure accountability and eliminate ghost beneficiaries.
She said states like Jigawa, Lagos, Kaduna, and Delta among others are currently acting as Front End Partners with NIMC for registration of their citizens in the national identity database and enjoined the media to support efforts of the Commission by raising awareness among the citizenry.
NIN enrolment hits 107 million
Uncategorized
Female Family Member of ISWAP/JAS Terrorists Surrenders in Bama
Female Family Member of ISWAP/JAS Terrorists Surrenders in Bama
By: Zagazola Makama
A female family member linked to suspected ISWAP terrorists has surrendered to troops operating in Bama Local Government Area of Borno State.
Sources disclosed that the woman surrendered at about 10:08 a.m. on May 19 to troops of the 81 Division Task Force Battalion operating within Sector 1 Area of Responsibility.
The female surrenderer reportedly came out from Gargash village in Bama LGA and voluntarily presented herself to the troops.
Military sources said she was subsequently profiled and documented in line with existing procedures for further necessary action.
The surrender is the latest in a series of defections involving insurgents and their family members in the North-East, following sustained military offensives and clearance operations targeting terrorist enclaves across the region.
Security sources said ongoing counterterrorism operations had continued to exert pressure on insurgent groups operating within the Lake Chad Basin and Sambisa forest areas, leading to increasing cases of surrender by fighters and their relatives.
The military has maintained that surrendered individuals are subjected to profiling, intelligence gathering and other procedures in accordance with extant operational guidelines.
Female Family Member of ISWAP/JAS Terrorists Surrenders in Bama
Uncategorized
Troops Arrest 10 Illegal Miners in Abuja Raid
Troops Arrest 10 Illegal Miners in Abuja Raid
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of 176 Guards Battalion have arrested 10 suspected illegal miners during a raid on an illegal mining site in Gwagwalada Area Council of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
Security sources said the operation was conducted at about 3:07 p.m. on May 20 as part of ongoing Operation MESA efforts aimed at curbing illegal mining and related criminal activities within the FCT and adjoining areas.
The troops reportedly stormed the illegal mining site following intelligence reports on the activities of suspected illegal miners operating in the area.
During the raid, the troops apprehended 10 suspects believed to be involved in illegal mining activities.
Items recovered from the site included one motorcycle, 15 mining mats, four head pans and several other mining implements used by the suspects.
The suspects are currently undergoing profiling and preliminary investigation for further necessary action.
Security sources said the operation formed part of intensified efforts by security agencies to clamp down on illegal mining activities, which authorities say contribute to environmental degradation, economic sabotage and insecurity in parts of the country.
The sources added that surveillance and enforcement operations would continue across identified illegal mining locations within the FCT and neighbouring states.
Troops Arrest 10 Illegal Miners in Abuja Raid
Uncategorized
Troops Rescue Two Kidnap Victims, Recover Arms in Kwara Patrol
Troops Rescue Two Kidnap Victims, Recover Arms in Kwara Patrol
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of 22 Brigade have rescued two kidnapped victims during a fighting patrol operation targeting suspected terrorist camps in Ifelodun Local Government Area of Kwara State.
Security sources said the operation was conducted at about 9:00 a.m. on May 19 by troops deployed at Oke-Ode and Oreke communities.
The troops reportedly carried out coordinated patrols to suspected terrorist hideouts located around Famonle and Oloponda villages.
During the operation, the troops successfully rescued two kidnapped victims who were found within the general area.
Items recovered from the suspected camps included three Dane guns, three camouflage face caps, and one leg chain.
Security sources said the victims were immediately debriefed and handed over to appropriate authorities for medical attention and further management.
The operation, according to the sources, forms part of ongoing efforts to dismantle criminal hideouts and disrupt kidnapping networks operating within Kwara State.
Authorities added that patrols and clearance operations have been intensified across vulnerable communities in the state.
Troops Rescue Two Kidnap Victims, Recover Arms in Kwara Patrol
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
