Connect with us

News

Palestine Envoy Alleges Israel is Using Starvation as a Weapon of War in Gaza

Published

on

Palestine Envoy Alleges Israel is Using Starvation as a Weapon of War in Gaza

By: Michael Mike

Palestine Ambassador to Nigeria, Abdullah Shawesh has alleged that Israel is using starvation as a weapon of war in the ongoing siege on Gaza, insisting that the Israeli force is flagrantly provoking famine in the trouble Palestinian city.

Shawesh in his weekly briefing of the ongoing siege on Gaza by Israeli force at the weekend in Abuja, said this war strategy by Israel is unacceptable and must be sanctioned.

He said it had been reported that 100% of the population in Gaza is at severe levels of acute food insecurity, which is the first time an entire population has been so classified.

He drew the attention of the world to the words of UN Secretary General António Guterres, who said that: “Palestinians in Gaza are enduring horrifying levels of hunger and suffering … This is the highest number of people facing catastrophic hunger ever recorded …anywhere, anytime”

Shawesh also recalled the words of the UN human rights chief Volker Türk that “hunger, starvation and famine” were the result of Israel’s “extensive restrictions on the entry and distribution of humanitarian aid and commercial goods”

He noted that as last Wednesday, March 20, the record of casualties from the Israeli siege on Gaza showed that the death toll reached 31,819 Palestinian martyrs, with 73,934 injured and nearly 8,500 missing. There are 700,000 internally displaced persons taking refuge in only 20% of the Gaza Strip. In the Occupied West Bank, there have been 436 martyrs and more than 4,670 injured.

He decried that the Israeli war took many forms, one of which is preventing the entry of necessary medical supplies, especially for chronic diseases, noting that the health condition of 1000 to 1500 kidney failure patients in the Gaza Strip is rapidly worsening due to the lack of medical services, medication, and other necessities.

He raided the alarm that Palestinian unemployment rate is set to soar to 57% during first quarter of 2024, adding that:
“Another life-threatening issue for Gazans today is the presence of remaining explosive materials hidden under the rubble, on the streets, and everywhere else. Mine action partners are currently conducting assessments of the explosive threat and educating Gazans on how to avoid it.”

He said according to OCHA “Larger-scale assessments are urgently required, but response efforts have been hampered by restrictions on the import of humanitarian mine action supplies and authorization requirements for the deployment of specialized personnel.”

Shawesh noted that EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said at the opening of a conference on humanitarian aid for Gaza in Brussels, that: “In Gaza we are no longer on the brink of famine, we are in a state of famine, affecting thousands of people,”….”This is unacceptable. Starvation is used as a weapon of war. Israel is provoking famine.”

He added that: “Malnutrition is a devastating threat to lives across Gaza, as evidenced by the UN published report on March 15, 2024. Where “one in three children under two in the Northern Gaza Strip suffer from acute malnutrition.

“Malnutrition among the children is spreading fast and reaching devastating and unprecedented levels…… at least 23 children in Northern Gaza Strip have reportedly died from malnutrition and dehydration in recent weeks, adding to a mounting toll of children killed in the strip in this current conflict- about 13450.

“Nutrition screening conducted by UNICEF and partners in the north in February found that 4.5 per cent of the children in shelters and health centers suffer from severe wasting, the most life threatening from the malnutrition.”

Palestine Envoy Alleges Israel is Using Starvation as a Weapon of War in Gaza

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

IPCR Sees Lent, Ramadan Overlap as Call for National Healing

Published

on

IPCR Sees Lent, Ramadan Overlap as Call for National Healing

By: Michael Mike

As Christians begin Lent and Muslims commence Ramadan, the Institute for Peace and Conflict Resolution (IPCR) has urged Nigerians to use the rare overlap of the two sacred seasons to strengthen unity and reject divisive tendencies.

In a statement released on February 18, 2026, the institute described the simultaneous observance as more than a calendar coincidence, calling it a powerful symbol of shared values and collective responsibility in a nation grappling with insecurity and social strain.

IPCR said both seasons—marked by fasting, prayer and reflection—offer an opportunity for citizens to look beyond religious differences and recommit to peaceful coexistence. It stressed that the moral lessons of compassion, self-restraint and generosity embedded in Lent and Ramadan should translate into everyday interactions among Nigerians.

The institute warned against extremist narratives that distort religious teachings for narrow interests, noting that such interpretations undermine national stability. Instead, it encouraged faith leaders and communities to amplify messages that promote tolerance, dialogue and mutual respect.

According to the institute, true spirituality is measured not only by acts of worship but also by how individuals treat neighbours of different beliefs. It added that Nigeria’s diversity should be seen as a strength capable of fostering resilience rather than division.

“With both faiths engaged in solemn reflection at the same time, Nigerians are presented with a timely reminder that we share a common humanity and destiny,” the statement noted, urging citizens to work together toward a more peaceful and prosperous society.

The Director-General of IPCR, Dr. Joseph Ochogwu, who signed the statement, extended goodwill wishes to Christians and Muslims, expressing hope that the sacred period would inspire reconciliation, understanding and renewed commitment to national unity.

IPCR Sees Lent, Ramadan Overlap as Call for National Healing

Continue Reading

News

Operative dies in accidental discharge in Niger

Published

on

Operative dies in accidental discharge in Niger

By: Zagazola Makama

An operative attached to a security unit in Niger State has died following an accidental discharge of a rifle at his duty post in Shiroro Local Government Area.

Sources said the incident occurred at about 10:00 p.m. on Feb. 16 when the operative, identified as Abubakar Iliya, 35, who was attached to a special hunters unit stationed at Galadiman-Kogo, reportedly fell from a sentry post.

During the fall, his cocked rifle disengaged and discharged, striking him in the abdomen and causing fatal injuries.

His remains were later evacuated by his unit for burial in accordance with customary rites.

Operative dies in accidental discharge in Niger

Continue Reading

News

Boat mishap leaves passengers missing in Niger

Published

on

Boat mishap leaves passengers missing in Niger

By: Zagazola Makama

A canoe conveying seven passengers capsized while in transit between Jata and Kami Village in Shiroro Local Government Area of Niger State, leaving several persons missing.

Sources said the incident occurred at about 7:00 p.m. on Feb. 16 when the canoe, carrying six females and one male passenger, overturned during the journey.

The passengers were identified as Mustapher Yakubu; Sahura Yakubu and her child; Zarifa Yakubu; Mommy Yakubu; Lizatu Yakubu; Zaratu Yusuf; and Sumaiya Ibrahim, all from Jata/Bmagara via Kami Village.

Rescue teams, including police and local divers, were immediately mobilised to the scene. The boat driver and his conductor were rescued alive, while search efforts are ongoing to locate the remaining passengers.

Authorities said further updates would be provided as rescue operations continue.

Boat mishap leaves passengers missing in Niger

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights