Connect with us

News

Palliatives: With Tinubu’s grant, Zulum raises target from 300,000 to 400,000 households 

Published

on

Palliatives: With Tinubu’s grant, Zulum raises target from 300,000 to 400,000 households 

By: Our Reporter

Borno State Governor, Babagana Umara Zulum, on Tuesday, announced he was raising the number of households being targeted for palliatives from 300,000 to 400,000 households.

Each household will be made up of six family members to be multiplied by 400,000 which, by implication, moves Zulum’s new target to two million and four hundred thousand (2.4m) individuals. 

Governor Zulum had, on August 1, 2023, while launching a new phase of palliatives’ distribution, announced a target of 300,000 households each with six persons which will multiply to one million eight hundred thousand (1.8m) individuals. 

At the time Zulum announced the target, the presidency had not announced its intervention of N5 billion to each of the states. 

With the recent announcement of N5b intervention to states, Governor Zulum on Monday said he was raising his initial target by additional 100,000 households which will multiply to 600,000 individuals. 

“Today we are here to distribute palliative to 100,000 vulnerable households under the Presidential Initiative, this is in addition to the 300,000 households Borno State Government had rolled out early this month”, Zulum told journalists at former Bakasi IDPs camp, venue of the distribution exercise. 

He added, “You may recall that the federal government has announced N5b to all states and with that amount we intend to reach an additional 100,000 vulnerable families.”

The governor further explained that the Presidential Initiative is a collaboration between the FG, States and Local Governments.

The FG, he noted, is granting 52% of the total amount while the State and Local Governments will refund 48% of the amount.

Since July, Zulum accelerated palliatives to mitigate the impact of rising fuel prices on the lives of citizens. 

The palliatives were so far distributed at Gwoza, Kukawa, Jere and Maiduguri Metropolitan Council to thousands of families benefiting. The state’s deputy governor, Umar Usman Kadafur, on Monday, flagged off a similar distribution in Biu town. 

Meanwhile, Governor Zulum once again expressed gratitude to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for his timely support to State Governments.  

Zulum noted that Nigerians in the long term will benefit from President Tinubu’s policies and programmes. 

He said the fuel subsidy removal despite the short-term difficulties is seen as a stepping stone towards broader economic reforms aimed at promoting sustainable development in Nigeria.

Palliatives: With Tinubu’s grant, Zulum raises target from 300,000 to 400,000 households 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

NIMC Pushes Digital Identity Reforms to Boost Service Delivery, Security

Published

on

NIMC Pushes Digital Identity Reforms to Boost Service Delivery, Security

By: Michael Mike

The National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) has reaffirmed its commitment to strengthening Nigeria’s Digital Public Infrastructure (DPI) through the deployment of secure digital identity systems aimed at improving governance, enhancing national security, and expanding access to public services.

Speaking at a digital conference in Abuja themed “Building Africa’s Digital Foundations Together,” the Director-General and Chief Executive Officer of NIMC, Abisoye Coker-Odusote, represented by the Head of Infrastructure Technology and Identity Databases, Mr. Sulaiman Falade, said the commission is driving reforms and institutional partnerships to build an inclusive and interoperable digital identity ecosystem.

According to her, the National Identification Number (NIN) has become central to Nigeria’s digital transformation agenda, serving as a key tool for identity verification, biometric authentication, and access to both government and private sector services.

She noted that following the Presidential Directive issued on April 5, 2024, Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) were mandated to integrate the NIN into digital services, particularly in areas involving data capture, identity verification, and authentication processes.

Coker-Odusote stated that NIMC has already established implementation structures to ensure compliance with the directive and to deepen the adoption of digital identity solutions across the country.

She further stressed that the Federal Government’s vision is to establish a unified, secure, and transparent digital identity framework capable of supporting efficient service delivery and accountability in governance.

The NIMC boss added that the commission is also advancing Nigeria’s broader digital governance goals through the deployment of the National Public Key Infrastructure (nPKI), a system designed to strengthen trust in digital transactions, safeguard citizens’ data, and promote secure online interactions.

She called on stakeholders in both the public and private sectors to continue supporting the implementation of Nigeria’s digital identity ecosystem, noting that the initiative is critical to national development and economic growth.

According to her, NIMC remains committed to leveraging technology and innovation to build a more connected, efficient, and resilient nation.

NIMC Pushes Digital Identity Reforms to Boost Service Delivery, Security

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu Sweeps Zulum’s Ward with 100% Votes in APC Presidential Primary

Published

on

Tinubu Sweeps Zulum’s Ward with 100% Votes in APC Presidential Primary

By: Michael Mike

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu recorded a landslide victory in the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential primary election in Mafa Ward of Borno State, securing all valid votes cast in the exercise held in the home ward of Governor Babagana Umara Zulum.

The direct primary election took place at Mafa Central Primary School under the supervision of the Chairperson of the Presidential Primary Election Committee, Hajiya Inna Alkali Imam.

According to the results announced at the ward level, Tinubu polled 2,175 votes, representing 100 per cent of the valid votes cast during the exercise. Out of the 2,277 registered APC members in the ward, 2,175 were accredited and participated in the voting process.

Tinubu’s challenger, Stanley Osifo, an APC chieftain and businessman from Edo State, failed to secure any vote in the ward.

Governor Zulum, who served as the Coordinator and Collation Officer for the presidential primary in the state, said he participated in the exercise as an indigene of Mafa Ward.

“I am from Mafa Ward, and that is why I am here to witness and participate in the exercise. We have two candidates, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Mr Stanley Osifo,” Zulum stated.

The governor also commended the peaceful conduct of the exercise and the turnout of party members.

“So far so good, we have conducted the presidential primary election for Mafa Ward, and I am very impressed with the turnout. We have a total of about 2,277 registered party members in Mafa Ward, out of which 2,175 were accredited for the voting, and all of them voted for President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, while the other candidate scored zero,” he said.

The APC presidential primary is ongoing in several states across the country, with the party expected to collate and announce final nationwide results at a later date.

Tinubu Sweeps Zulum’s Ward with 100% Votes in APC Presidential Primary

Continue Reading

News

I Remember At Age Of 8,General Gowon Would Send Hand Written Letter To Yusuf Signed Uncle Joe-Sanusi

Published

on

I Remember At Age Of 8,General Gowon Would Send Hand Written Letter To Yusuf Signed Uncle Joe-Sanusi

By: Our Reporter

The 16th Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, has recounted a touching childhood memory about former Nigerian Head of State Yakubu Gowon, portraying him as a compassionate leader who extended personal support to the family of a military officer killed during the 1966 coup.

Speaking during an interview on Signature TV, Sanusi reflected on his early years at St Anne’s Secondary School in Kaduna, where he attended school alongside Yusuf Pam, the son of the late Colonel Joseph Pam, one of the victims of the January 1966 Nigerian coup.

The former governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria recalled that despite the demands of national leadership, Gowon took a personal interest in the wellbeing of Yusuf following the loss of his father. According to Sanusi, the former Head of State frequently sent handwritten letters to the young boy, signing them “Uncle Joe.”

“What I remember at the age of eight was that General Gowon, as Head of State, would send a handwritten letter to Yusuf signed ‘Uncle Joe.’ That is a window into the person you are dealing with,” Sanusi said.

The Emir noted that the gesture has remained vivid in his memory over the years because it revealed a caring and humane side of leadership during one of the most turbulent periods in Nigeria’s history. He suggested that Gowon’s actions reflected empathy and a sense of responsibility toward families affected by the political upheaval of the time.

Colonel Pam was among several prominent figures who lost their lives during the 1966 coup, a pivotal event that reshaped Nigeria’s political landscape and contributed to years of instability and conflict that followed.

I Remember At Age Of 8,General Gowon Would Send Hand Written Letter To Yusuf Signed Uncle Joe-Sanusi

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights