Connect with us

Uncategorized

President Tinubu Orders Reduction Of 2026 Hajj Fare

Published

on

President Tinubu Orders Reduction Of 2026 Hajj Fare

*As VP Shettima gives NAHCON 2 days to effect president’s directive

By: Our Reporter

Following the directive of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for an immediate review of the 2026 Hajj fares, Vice President Kashim Shettima has directed the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) to come up with new fares for the exercise within two days.

This, the Vice President said, had become necessary considering continued appreciation of the naira against the dollar – a primary determinant for the pilgrimage fares.

VP Shettima who handed down the President’s directive on Monday during a meeting with management and board members of NAHCON at the Presidential Villa, called for synergy among national and state officials, including state Governors, in streamlining and adopting a new set of fares for the exercise.

He aslo urged prompt action by all stakeholders to ensure quick payments and timely remittances to the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to facilitate a hitch-free exercise.

Fielding questions from journalists shortly after the meeting with the VP, Deputy Chief of Staff to the President, Senator Ibrahim Hadeija, said the meeting convened at the instance of the Vice President was to finalise preparations for the 2026 Hajj operations, particularly the determination of fares for the 2026 exercise.

He explained that the goal is to reduce the amount payable by pilgrims for the exercise, given the current trend in the economy occasioned by ongoing reforms being undertaken by the Tinubu administration.

He said, “Rates have continued to improve steadily, with the naira appreciating based on the effects of the economic reforms of the government. The Vice President felt that if pilgrims paid ₦8.5 million to ₦8.6 million based on negative exchange rate last year, and the exchange rate has improved, then the changes should reflect in the current fares, and the benefits should also be passed to the prospective pilgrims.

“So, the commissions and all officers of the Hajj commission are here and they have been told to immediately go to look at more realistic exchange rates. If we achieve what we envisage, then we will have a very significant reduction in the Hajj.”

On his part, Secretary of the National Hajj commission (NAHCON), Dr Mustapha Mohammad, said the President’s directive would increase the number of intending pilgrims for this year’s exercise.

“It is a welcome development and the lower the Hajj fare, the better for Muslim faithful intending to perform Hajj. So, as directed by the Vice President, we will work tirelessly between today and tomorrow to see that we reduce it to the barest minimum and affordable rate for every Muslim faithful to have the opportunity to perform this very important pillar of Islam.”

Also, the Chairman, Kebbi State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board and Deputy Chairman, Forum of the Chief Executive of 36 and the FCT Chairmen of pilgrims Board, Alhaji Faruk Aliyu Yaro, expressed delight with the presidential directive.

“We are very happy because the President and the Vice President have already intervened. We thank God for what they have said, which is expected to bring down the cost of Hajj fare. So, we are happy,” he said

President Tinubu Orders Reduction Of 2026 Hajj Fare

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Uncategorized

Nigerian Navy Chief of Operations, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, dies after illness

Published

on

Nigerian Navy Chief of Operations, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, dies after illness

By: Zagazola Makama

Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, Chief of Operations at the Naval Headquarters (NHQ), has died following a brief illness.

Rear Admiral Katagum, a highly respected officer of the Nigerian Navy, recently served at Defence Headquarters and was formerly the Chief of Naval Intelligence.

He was recently appointed Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, a role in which he oversaw critical operational activities and contributed significantly to Nigeria’s maritime security.

During his distinguished career, Rear Admiral Katagum’s contributions to national security were immeasurable. He played a pivotal role in shaping operational strategies, strengthening intelligence capabilities, and mentoring generations of officers who would go on to emulate his professionalism and dedication.

His insight, foresight, and meticulous approach to operations ensured that the Nigerian Navy remained vigilant, formidable, and ready to defend the nation’s maritime interests. His contributions played a vital role in safeguarding Nigeria’s territorial waters and enhancing the operational readiness of the Nigerian Navy.

The news of his death has sent ripples of grief through the Armed Forces, with his colleagues describing him as a symbol of courage, discipline, and service excellence. Senior naval officers have expressed profound sorrow over the loss of a visionary leader whose legacy will endure within the Navy.

Beyond his professional accomplishments, he will be remembered for his humility, his generosity of spirit, and his unwavering commitment to the welfare of those who served alongside him.

As we mourn this extraordinary officer, we celebrate a life dedicated to the service of Nigeria, a life marked by courage, honor, and excellence.

May his soul rest in perfect peace, and may the Almighty grant comfort to his family, colleagues, and all who had the privilege of serving with him.

Nigerian Navy Chief of Operations, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, dies after illness

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Police arrest 19 suspected bandits, recover 370 cows, 58 goats in Kwara

Published

on

Police arrest 19 suspected bandits, recover 370 cows, 58 goats in Kwara

By: Zagazola Makama

The Police Command in Kwara State has arrested 19 suspected bandits and cattle rustlers during a bush clearance operation around Ekati village, Lade.

Police sources said the operation, carried out in collaboration with Miyetti Allah vigilantes, led to the arrest of 10 suspects, including Mohammed Salihu, 25; Mohammadu Musa, 23; Abubakar Sani aka Siddi, 25; Yusuf Isah aka Lariya, 22; Mohammadu Ibrahim aka Iro, 21; Mohammadu Sani aka Kachalla Ruga, 65; Musa Ado aka Mandu, 65; Abubakar Adamu aka Buba, 26; Mohammadu Zangina, 25; and Abubakar Shaibu aka Jijji, 20.

Most of the suspects were reportedly from Zamfara State, while one hailed from Niger Republic and another from Katsina State.

Police said 370 cows and 58 goats were recovered as exhibits from the suspects.

Investigation into the incident is ongoing, the command added.

Police arrest 19 suspected bandits, recover 370 cows, 58 goats in Kwara

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Police neutralise two suspected kidnappers, recover rifle in Akwa Ibom

Published

on

Police neutralise two suspected kidnappers, recover rifle in Akwa Ibom

By: Zagazola Makama

The Nigeria Police Force in Akwa Ibom State have neutralised two suspected kidnappers and recovered a firearm during a tactical operation along waterways in the state.

Police sources said the operation was conducted at about 11:10 p.m. on Feb. 16 by a SWAT team following credible intelligence on the activities of a militant group identified as the “Blin Blin Marine Strike Force,” allegedly operating along the Uruan waterways and Itu waterfronts.

According to the sources, officers on a clearance mission at Ikot Ika waterfront encountered the suspects in a gun duel. During the exchange, one police inspector sustained gunshot injuries and was rushed to hospital, where he is currently responding to treatment.

Two members of the group were neutralised during the encounter, while others reportedly escaped through the waterways with gunshot wounds.

Items recovered from the suspects included a G3 assault rifle and four rounds of live ammunition.

Preliminary investigation revealed that the group was allegedly led by Ubong Effiong Archibong, also known as “Condiment,” who was on a police wanted list over alleged involvement in multiple kidnapping and violent crime incidents, including attacks on prominent individuals and security personnel.

The police said operations were ongoing to track down fleeing members of the gang and dismantle the remaining criminal network.

Police neutralise two suspected kidnappers, recover rifle in Akwa Ibom

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights