Connect with us

National News

Railway vandalism: NSCDC arrests 13 suspects, impounds railings, sleepers worth N800m

Published

on

Railway vandalism: NSCDC arrests 13 suspects, impounds railings, sleepers worth N800m

By: Michael Mike

The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) has arrested 13 suspected railway vandals with large quantities of long rails and sleepers worth N800 million Naira.

The suspects were paraded alongside five trucks conveying the large quantities of vandalised rails and sleepers at the NSCDC Headquarters, Abuja on Tuesday.

The NSCDC National Public Relations Officer, Babawale Afolabi, during the parade said that the suspects were arrested by the Commandant General’s Special Intelligence Squad (CGs SIS).

Afolabi said that the arrests took place around Manchock area of Kaura local government area, Zonkwa area in Zango Kataf local government area, and Kaffanchan area in Jama’a local government area of Kaduna State.

He said: “The 13 suspects and 5 trucks impounded have been taken into custody for profiling and further investigation and prosecution.

“The 13 suspects are still being interrogated and cross examined after which other accomplices will be arrested and charged to court.”

He disclosed that upon arrest, the CGs SIS were offered a huge sum but they refused to accept the proposed bribe.

“When they were apprehended the Commander of the squad was offered the sum of N30million which was rejected.”

According to the PRO, the NSCDC Commandant General (CG),Dr.Ahmed Audi has decried the continous activities of vandalism across the country by economic saboteurs and their accomplices.

He noted that the CG frowned at the yet to be identified iron and steel companies who always process and melt these vandalized rail track iron and sleepers.

“Efforts are in top gear to smash and unmask these syndicates and make them to face the wrath of the law no matter how highly or lowly placed,” he said.

He said that while interrogating one of the truck drivers, name withheld, he said that he was offered N1.2million upon delivery of the stolen items to Ilorin.

The suspect said that he was however given N200,000 advance payment which at which he gave N100,000 to the agent who contacted him for the job.

Federal Railway Corporation, North Central District Manager, Mr Austin Ashibekong said that the arrests were made within his jurisdiction.

“I want to confirm to you that these are vandalised long railways that had been cut into pieces and everywhere in the North-Central district is experiencing surge in vandalisation of track materials.

“They vandalize the long rails, the sleepers, android clips and other railway components which has been a major hurt in our management ,” he said.

According to Ashibekong, these materials run to hundreds of millions, bearing in mind that no railway material can be sourced locally.

“Even the nuts can not be sourced locally and all these costs the Federal Government a great deal and somebody will come overnight to vandalise them for selfish and personal interest.

He further commended the efforts of the NSCDC in curbing such crimes as he called for continous partnership.

“ We welcome any other security agency that will join in this fight so that we try as much as possible to curb the vandalisation that has surged in the recent years.

These team set up by the CG is a laudable achievement and we are out here to support them, the Apex management of the Corperation are happy to see these arrests being carried out.

“We should come out to support these exercise, the efforts and encourage the management of the corps to further empower personnel,” he said.

Railway vandalism: NSCDC arrests 13 suspects, impounds railings, sleepers worth N800m

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

Interior Minister Signs Performance Contracts, Urges Agencies to Boost Service Delivery

Published

on

Interior Minister Signs Performance Contracts, Urges Agencies to Boost Service Delivery

By: Michael Mike

In a significant move to bolster public service efficiency, Nigeria’s Interior Minister, Hon. Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo has formalized performance contracts with heads of agencies under the Ministry of Interior. This initiative aims to strengthen institutional legacy and ensure measurable improvements in service delivery.

Speaking in Abuja on Saturday at the conclusion of the 2025 retreat of the Ministry of Interior, the minister highlighted the event, which also featured the signing of performance contracts by all board members.

He said: “This initiative is about the effect on Nigerians and on Nigeria as a whole.”

Tunji-Ojo during the signing ceremony, said: “Our Ministry signed a performance contract with Mr. President last year, and after executing that for a year, it is time to extend this level of accountability to each agency.”

The performance contracts, which include measurable timelines for delivery, are designed to improve services to Nigerians and align with President Bola Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda, he noted.

The Minister also emphasized that this exercise is not merely symbolic but is intended to have a meaningful impact on Nigeria’s security landscape.

Challenging common stereotypes, Tunji-Ojo commended the ministry’s staff for their commitment and hard work. He said: “Some people often say civil servants are ‘evil servants.’ Personally, I do not share that view. I have had the privilege of working with some of the best people God has created here in the Ministry of Interior.”

The Minister paid tribute to M.T. Umar, who retired after 35 years of service, describing him as central to Nigeria’s passport reforms. “The story of our passport revolution cannot be told without his name,”

He further stated that retirement does not depriving your nation of your knowledge, your character, or your service.

He urged staff to emulate Umar’s loyalty and integrity, stressing that “talent and brilliance are important, but it is loyalty and integrity that sustain a career.”

Addressing the agencies under the ministry the Nigeria Immigration Service, NSCDC, NCoS, FFS, and NIMC the minister commended their achievements but called for greater efforts in immigration reforms, protection of critical assets, correctional transformation, emergency response, and data security.

He said: “Our task is to ensure Nigerians feel our impact in their daily lives through safer communities, efficient services, and systems that inspire trust,” while further reminding the agencies that their collective output contributes directly to President Bola Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda.

Meanwhile, heads of key agencies pledged to scale up performance following the retreat.

Commandant-General of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Ahmed Audi, said the exercise offered a chance to review past achievements and correct lapses. “From the contracts we signed last year, we have fared very well. But of course, there are areas for correction, and that is the essence of this retreat,” he said.

Acting Controller-General of the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS), Sylvester Nwakuche, described the retreat as timely. “Sometimes when you are busy trying to improve performance, you need to take time to measure yourself. By the first part of next year, we should be able to appraise our progress,” he said.

For his part, Controller-General of the Federal Fire Service, Samuel Olumode, said the exercise was an “eye-opener” for his agency. “By the next retreat, there will be positive impact, and Nigerians will know there is a new fire service in place,” he assured.

Olumode stressed that the performance contracts were a pledge of accountability. “It’s all about signing a bond to let the Nigerian public know it’s not business as usual. We must strengthen mechanisms that make us perform and give real value to our jobs.”

Interior Minister Signs Performance Contracts, Urges Agencies to Boost Service Delivery

Continue Reading

National News

Kaduna police rescue kidnapped woman, arrest two suspects

Published

on

Kaduna police rescue kidnapped woman, arrest two suspects

By: Zagazola Makama

The Kaduna State Police Command has rescued a kidnapped woman and arrested two suspects in connection with the crime in Kachia Local Government Area of the state.

Sources said the incident followed a report by one Williams Ayuba of Azara village, who disclosed that his wife, Theresa Williams, was abducted while working on their farm at Bishini village on Aug. 27.

Zagazola learnt that the operatives from Katari Division, in collaboration with sister security agencies, launched a search operation in the surrounding forests.

Sources added that on Aug. 29, acting on credible information, the Assistant Commissioner of Police in charge of Jere mobilised a rescue team which successfully rescued the victim unhurt.

The sources saod two suspects, Ibrahim Abdullahi, of Nasarawa Toto, and Kabiru Abdullahi, of Mallam Tanko village, were arrested.

“The suspects have confessed to the crime and provided useful information to the police. Efforts are ongoing to arrest other fleeing members of the gang,” it added.

The victim, the sources said, was taken to Abaku Hospital for medical attention and has since been reunited with her family.

Kaduna police rescue kidnapped woman, arrest two suspects

Continue Reading

National News

Four Soldiers Injured in Vehicle Accident on Mambilla Plateau

Published

on

Four Soldiers Injured in Vehicle Accident on Mambilla Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Four Nigerian soldiers have sustained injuries in a vehicle accident on the Mambilla Plateau in Taraba State.

The accident occurred on Thursday while the troops were moving across the mountainous terrain of the area, Zagazola reports.

The Emir of Mambilla, Dr. Shehu Audu Baju, was said to have personally joined in the rescue operation to ensure that the soldiers received prompt assistance.

Following the rescue, the injured personnel were evacuated to the 20 Battalion Barracks in Serti for urgent medical care.

Community members and traditional leaders in the area have expressed sympathy and prayed for the speedy recovery of the soldiers, while also calling for the safety of other security operatives on duty.

Four Soldiers Injured in Vehicle Accident on Mambilla Plateau

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights