News
Reuters Allegation, 84 persons have witnessed so far- NHRC
Reuters Allegation, 84 persons have witnessed so far- NHRC
By: Michael Mike
The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has disclosed that 84 witnesses have so far given testimonies to the panel saddled with the duty of investigating the allegation of the international media organisation Reuters against the Nigerian Army of involvement in abortion of 10,000 pregnancies, massive killing of children and deliberate violation of rights of women and girls in its counter-insurgency operation in the North East.
The panel after visits to the North East to take testimonies and conduct on the ground investigations in the troubled region, has resumed its work in Abuja where further testimonies were being collected.
A Senior Human Rights Adviser to Chief Tony Ojukwu, the Executive Secretary of the National Human Rights Commission, (NHRC), Hillary Ogbonna, who doubles as the Secretary, Special Independent Investigative Panel on Human Rights Violations in the counter Insurgency Operations in the North East, (SIIP:NE), said the Reuters Report indicated that 40 soldiers, most of whom were officers, were interviewed in the course of the reports.
He said: “December last year, Reuters published reports alleging abortion of ten thousand pregnancies, infanticide and other forms of Sexual and Gender Based Violence against the Nigeria Military but the military has since denied the allegations saying it was a deliberate attempt to rubbish the counter insurgency operation.”
Ogbonna noted that the latest report highlighted how Reuters arrived at their publications and the allegations against the Nigeria Military in their counter insurgency operations in the North East.
According to him, the report which was the follow up to the first reports released by Reuters last year December was released on the 19th of April and was named Abortion Assault II.
Meanwhile, Colonel Yakubu Ibrahim of the Nigerian Defence College who was at a twine in charge of a battalion in the Northeast theatre of operation, said the allegations of Reuters was laughable.
Ibrahim said the story of Reuters is a fiction, adding that when he read the report, he thought the writer was mistaking Nigeria for somewhere else.
Also, the Force Commander, United Nations mission to South-Sudan, Major General Benjamin Sawyer urged the investigative panel to everything within its power to unravel the matter; saying the military has a key goal of combating insurgency and restoring peace in the troubled region. It therefore could not have embarked on secrete acts alleged in the Reuters report.
“What they have written is completely false, misleading and degrading to the image of Nigerians and the Nigerian Army despite what the military has done to restore normalcy in restive regions.”
Also testifying, Retired Major General Jame Komolafe, Former Commander, 21 Brigade, North East, described the Reuters report as deliberate falsehood circulated to rubbish the integrity of the military.
He added that the military was law abiding and no military medical facility will subject itself to such illicit medical practice.
The Panel, chaired by a retired justice of the Supreme Court, Justice Abdul-Aboki, is officially known as Special Independent Investigative Panel on Human Rights Violations in the implementation of counter insurgency operations in the North East.
Reuters Allegation, 84 persons have witnessed so far- NHRC
News
Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau
Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 3 of Operation Enduring Peace intervened in a reported case of farm destruction caused by cattle grazing in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State.
Security sources said the troops responded at about 1:30 p.m. on May 19 following a report that farmland belonging to one Bitrus Isah had been damaged by cattle allegedly owned by one Abdul Abu at Rigochongo village.

On arrival at the scene, the troops reportedly intercepted 49 cows and nine sheep grazing on the farmland without any herder present.
The livestock were secured to prevent further destruction and escalation of tension in the community.
Security sources said both parties involved were subsequently invited for amicable resolution of the dispute in order to maintain peace and prevent reprisal actions.
Authorities added that the intervention formed part of ongoing efforts to manage farmer-herder-related conflicts and sustain harmony across communities in Plateau State.
Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau
News
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 7, Sub-Sector 71 of Operation Enduring Peace have foiled a kidnapping attempt along a highway in Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
Security sources told Zagazola that the incident occurred at about 12:15 a.m. on May 21 when troops deployed at Ungwan Gora checkpoint responded to distress information on suspected kidnappers operating along the road at Ungwan Dariya village.
The troops reportedly moved swiftly to the location, forcing the suspected kidnappers to abandon their mission and flee into surrounding areas.
During the operation, one victim was rescued with injuries sustained during the attack.
The victim was immediately evacuated to Confidence Hospital, Fadan Karshi, for medical treatment.
Security sources said efforts were ongoing to track and apprehend the fleeing suspects, while patrols had been intensified along the axis to prevent further incidents.
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
News
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
By: Zagazola Makama
A suspected collaborator of kidnappers has died after becoming unconscious while in military custody in Nasarawa State.
Security sources said troops of Sector 2 under Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) intercepted the suspect at about 7:00 a.m. on May 19 at Ancha community in Akwanga Local Government Area.
The suspect was reportedly apprehended at Anguwan Makama following allegations of involvement in activities linked to kidnapping operations in the area.
During preliminary interrogation, the suspect reportedly became unconscious.
He was immediately evacuated to Nunku Primary Health Care Centre for medical attention, where he was confirmed dead by health officials.
Sources added that the remains of the deceased were released to his family for burial in accordance with local customs.
Security authorities said further assessment would continue in line with standard procedures, while operations against kidnapping networks in the area remain ongoing.
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
