Connect with us

News

Situation Room to be Established at IPCR to Deescalate Crisis in Nigeria

Published

on

Situation Room to be Established at IPCR to Deescalate Crisis in Nigeria

By: Michael Mike

A National Conflict Early Warning Early Response Situation Room is to be launched at the Institute for Peace and Conflict Resolution (IPCR) to prevent and address crisis from escalating.

Director General of IPCR, Dr Joseph Ochogwu announced this on Friday while briefing newsmen on the National Engagement and launch of Early Warning Early (EWER) Response organised by Peace Action for Rapid and Transformative Nigeria Early Response (PARTNER) on Friday in Abuja.

Ochogwu said the Situation Room will serve as a centralised hub for collecting and analysing data related to potential conflict hotspots throughout the country.

He said: “By utiliing advanced technology and data analytics, we aim to identify emerging threats and provide timely responses to prevent escalation.

“The Early Warning and Early Response Situation Room will not only help in identifying potential conflicts before they escalate but also facilitate quick and coordinated responses among relevant stakeholders,”he said.

The DG also noted that the Situation Room staff have also been equipped with the capacity to manage the EWSR effectively that is ready to be launched on October 29.

the Chief of Party PARTNER, Mercy Corps Mr Danjuma Dawop, said that the establishment of this Situation Room is crucial for Nigeria, a country that has faced multiple challenges related to ethnic and communal tensions, insurgency, and violence.

“So far we’ve seen that effective early warning and early response has prevented conflict escalation and mitigated violence extremism across Nigeria,”he said.

He added that the situation room aligns with global best practices in peacebuilding and conflict resolution, and it is hoped that this proactive approach will significantly contribute to sustainable peace in Nigeria.

Situation Room to be Established at IPCR to Deescalate Crisis in Nigeria

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

SOJA Condemns Alleged Abduction of Teachers, Students in Oyo, Demands Urgent Rescue Efforts

Published

on

SOJA Condemns Alleged Abduction of Teachers, Students in Oyo, Demands Urgent Rescue Efforts

By: Michael Mike

A human rights organisation, Speak Out for Justice Advocacy Ltd./Gte. (SOJA), has condemned the reported abduction of teachers and students in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, describing the incident and the alleged killing of a teacher, Mr. Michael Oyedokun, as “a case too many.”

In a statement issued on Thursday, the group expressed deep concern over reports that armed attackers abducted teachers and students from schools within the council area around May 15, 2026, while Mr. Oyedokun, a Mathematics teacher at Community High School, Ahoro-Esiele, was reportedly killed during the incident.

The organisation said several victims were still believed to be in captivity awaiting rescue.

SOJA, led by its Founder and Executive Director, Hameed Ajibola Jimoh, commiserated with the affected families and communities, warning that repeated attacks on schools and civilians across parts of the country were becoming alarming.

According to the advocacy group, the incident, if confirmed, raises serious constitutional and human rights concerns under both Nigerian law and international treaties to which Nigeria is a signatory.

Citing Section 14(2)(b) of the 1999 Constitution, SOJA stressed that “the security and welfare of the people shall be the primary purpose of government,” while Sections 33, 34 and 35 guarantee the rights to life, dignity and personal liberty.

The group also referenced Nigeria’s obligations under several international and regional legal frameworks, including the United Nations-backed International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC), the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ACHPR), and the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (ACRWC).

SOJA argued that the obligations imposed by these instruments go beyond symbolic commitments, requiring authorities to take practical and preventive steps to protect lives, especially those of vulnerable groups such as school children and teachers.

“The implication of these obligations in the present circumstances is that government responsibility extends beyond merely reacting after tragic events occur,” the statement said.

The organisation acknowledged reports that security agencies had intensified rescue operations and investigations, but maintained that recurring attacks on schools demanded more decisive and proactive measures.

“This is a case too many,” the statement added.

SOJA therefore called for the immediate intensification of lawful rescue efforts for those still in captivity, a thorough investigation into the incident, prosecution of perpetrators, strengthened security around schools and vulnerable communities, and adequate support for affected victims and families.

The group further urged the government to undertake a comprehensive review of strategies aimed at preventing future attacks on educational institutions.

“Teachers should not become targets. Schools should not become zones of fear. Children should not bear the burden of insecurity,” the organisation stated.

SOJA Condemns Alleged Abduction of Teachers, Students in Oyo, Demands Urgent Rescue Efforts

Continue Reading

News

Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau

Published

on

Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 6, Operation Enduring Peace have recovered a suspected stolen motorcycle following a pursuit of suspected motorcycle snatchers in Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau.

Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 6:30 p.m. on May 21 along the Bachi-Banghai road after troops received reports on the activities of suspected motorcycle snatchers in the area.

The sources said the troops immediately mobilised and pursued the suspects, who abandoned the motorcycle and fled upon sighting the security personnel.

According to the sources, the recovered motorcycle has been secured, while efforts were ongoing to identify the rightful owner and apprehend the fleeing suspects.

The military said the operation formed part of sustained efforts to combat criminal activities and enhance security across Plateau.

Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau

Continue Reading

News

Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau

Published

on

Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 1, Operation Enduring Peace have launched a rescue operation following the abduction of a resident in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau.

Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 11:00 p.m. on May 21 when gunmen reportedly abducted Mr Eze Emeka from his residence at Agingi village.

The sources said troops swiftly responded to the distress report and commenced rescue operations in collaboration with other security agencies.

According to the sources, efforts were ongoing to track down the kidnappers and secure the safe release of the victim.

The military assured residents that security forces were intensifying operations to curb criminal activities in the area.

Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights