Connect with us

Crime

Tension over alleged blasphemy in Bauchi, pastor injured, houses burnt

Published

on

Tension over alleged blasphemy in Bauchi, pastor injured, houses burnt

Tension over alleged blasphemy in Bauchi, pastor injured, houses burnt

A pastor has allegedly been injured and many houses burnt by irate youths who went on the rampage over alleged blasphemy in the Katangan area of Warji Local Government Area of Bauchi State.

Newsmen gathered that the trouble started when a message was allegedly circulated on social media that a Christian girl in the town allegedly engaged in blasphemy of Islam.

A source, who spoke to our correspondent confirmed the incident, saying, “Yes, the incident is true. It is an aftermath of the incident of the alleged blasphemy that happened in Sokoto last week.

“What I learnt was that a Christian girl allegedly posted and commented on something on social media which has to do with the incident in Sokoto and that was how it started.

“The situation there is more than tension since many houses have been burnt down. But no life that was lost, to the best of my knowledge.

“A shop which belongs to an ECWA Church in the area was also burnt down. And I learnt that the District Head of the area and the leaders are on top of the situation. The police have also been informed about it.”

Another source said, “We were at home this evening when we heard shouts from some muslim youths in their numbers who went on the rampage and besieged an ECWA Church in the area.

“But Christian youths and others resisted and repelled them but that was after they had burnt down a shop attached to the church. Many houses were burnt down by the rampaging youths.

“In the process, one of the pastors of the ECWA church was seriously wounded; as I speak to you now, efforts are on to save his life.”

One of the leaders of the Christian Association of Nigeria in the state also confirmed the incident to journalists in a telephone interview.

He said that the Commissioner of Police in the state and the Senior Special Assistant to the Bauchi State Governor on Christian Religious Affairs are aware.

He called on the Christian community in the state not to allow the situation to degenarate.

Efforts to get a confirmation on the incident from the Bauchi State Police Command proved abortive.

Several calls put through to the Public Relations Officer, Ahmed Wakil, were neither picked nor returned as of the time of filing this report.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Police investigate alleged rape of UNILAG student by lecturer

Published

on

Police investigate alleged rape of UNILAG student by lecturer

By: Zagazola Makama

The police in Lagos have commenced investigation into the alleged rape of a 20-year-old female student of the University of Lagos (UNILAG), Akoka, by a lecturer in the institution.

Sources said the survivor, identified as Owonifari Fiyinfoluwa, a 300-level student of the university, reported the matter to the police on Aug. 28.

“She alleged that on Aug. 22, at about 12 noon, her lecturer, Dr. Samuel Ojogbo, invited her into his office at the university and forcefully had carnal knowledge of her.

“A team of detectives visited the scene and the survivor was taken to a nearby hospital for medical treatment,” said the sources

The sources added that investigation into the case was ongoing.

Police investigate alleged rape of UNILAG student by lecturer

Continue Reading

Crime

Police arrest fake soldier, recover firearms in Abuja

Published

on

Police arrest fake soldier, recover firearms in Abuja

By: Zagazola Makama

The Police Command in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) has arrested a 40-year-old man who allegedly posed as a soldier to deceive and extort unsuspecting members of the public in Abuja.

Sources said that the suspect, identified as Abdullahi Salisu of Military Pension Board area, was arrested on Monday evening by a police ambush team from Kubwa Division while on routine patrol at FO1, Kubwa.

“On a spot search, one locally made pistol with a cartridge was recovered in his possession.

“A further search conducted at his residence led to the recovery of another locally made gun, as well as clothing and tokens suspected to belong to a civilian JTF unit, which the suspect allegedly used in carrying out criminal activities,” said the sources.

The sources said suspect is currently in custody undergoing interrogation to ascertain his true identity and involvement in other crimes.

Police arrest fake soldier, recover firearms in Abuja

Continue Reading

Crime

Eight hunters killed in bandits’ attack in Niger

Published

on

Eight hunters killed in bandits’ attack in Niger

By: Zagazola Makama

At least eight hunters have been killed during an exchange of gunfire with armed bandits in Mariga Local Government Area of Niger.

It was gathered that the incident occurred when a large number of armed bandits invaded Hunyo/Sabon Wuri village in Dusai Mahoro District of Mariga and rustled an unspecified number of cattle.

Sources said the bandits, while attempting to escape with the stolen cattle, were intercepted by the hunters between Kakihum and Kumbashi villages.

“In the ensuing exchange of fire, eight of the hunters lost their lives. Their names and addresses are yet to be ascertained.

“Police Mobile Force operatives deployed in Bangi, the divisional patrol team, and local vigilantes led by the Divisional Police Officer moved swiftly to the scene. The corpses have since been evacuated to General Hospital, Bangi, for autopsy,” said the sources.

Eight hunters killed in bandits’ attack in Niger

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights