News
Tinubu Supports Direct Election into ECOWAS Parliaments, Asks Member Statrs to be Unitedl
Tinubu Supports Direct Election into ECOWAS Parliaments, Asks Member Statrs to be United
By: Michael Mike
President Bola Tinubu has thrown his weight behind direct election of members of Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Parliament, even as he emphasized the need for members of the subregional organisation to speak with one voice in order to cement the unity and prosperity of the area.
Members of ECOWAS Parliament have always emerged through selection from elected parliamentarians of member states. This has created endless agitation that they should instead emerge through specific direct election for places across the region.
Speaking at the inauguration of the sixth Legislature of the ECOWAS Parliament in Abuja on Thursday, the Nigeria’s President and Chairman of ECOWAS Heads of State and Government on Thursday charged leaders in the Economic Community of West African States on the need to speak with one voice for the unity and prosperity of the region.
He said: “Honourable Members as we inaugurate the sixth legislature, it is evident that we are faced with profound challenges in our region that demand our unified efforts.
“Recent political development have consequential effect on each of our member states.The wider international context in terms of security, access to markets, and climate change also presents profound challenges.
“Three Member States considering withdrawal from the community is a challenge to us.
“We must preserve the unity and integrity of our organisation. The ball is in your court as well as mine.
“At this critical junction, regional solidarity is imperative to strengthening our resilience and effectiveness as a bloc, particularly against forces that aim to divide us.
“We must not allow this. We cannot afford to remain persive and ordinary spectators, while our Community faces the threat of disintegration. We stand united against such forces and are committed to ensuring that our unity remains unshaking.
“We must ensure that cooperation among us is strengthened with a view to building a sense of common destiny and purpose.
“No one can do this for us, we are the ones to do it, please.l take that seriously.
“In your legislative consideration and in your interaction it is very imperative that you take seriously that we have to build the economic prosperity of our region by ourselves.
“Let us forget what has happened to us in the past, we have matured and of age to build our intellectual curiosity to develop our region.
To this extent, reinforcing the legitimacy of decisions taken by authority of Heads of States, is key in sending a message that ECOWAS is one body.
“It is also very important that the executives, on the other hand, must show similar confidence in Parliament, respect the parliament’s resolutions, which will indeed deepen democracy in our region.
“Meanwhile, in the midst of ongoing challenges, our partnership can be a driving force for stability, growth and prosperity in our region.
“Like I said earlier on, it is upon us. It is upon us. It is our responsibility to speak with one voice and make African Union from ECOWAS a central point of economic reform and foreign policy achievement. “
Declaring his support for direct election of members of the regional Parliament, Tinubu said the process will help actualize the vision 2050, which will ensure the people involvement in decision making process in the region.
He said:Am aware that the ECOWAS parliament is seeking an enhanced powers primarily through the election of its members by direct universal suffrage.
“This will increase the role the parliamentarians must play and the responsibilities they will assume in advancing our regional development objectives, particularly in harmonising laws and regulations across the member states.
“Indeed, the practice of directly electing public officers aligns with the democratic principles that Nigerians upholds as it enhances the legitimacy of democratic institutions.
“This principle is also in line with the spirit of ECOWAS protocol on democracy and good governance. As one time legislature myself, I look forward to reviewing the proposal regarding this matter.
“We stand to support the election into the ECOWAS Parliament.
“We believe this will ensure that citizens have direct say in their representation and legitimacy and credibility it will provide.
” Thank you for thinking very carefully on this subject. “
The president also promised that Nigeria will continue to support the regional body.
“I want to assure you, that Nigeria as the host of this very important community’s institutions, will continue to support you to achieve your objectives.”
Tinubu also added, “I am aware of the plan to have all ECOWAS’s institutions in one complex and all the good progress that has been made, Nigeria is also working to meet its responsibility to construct the ECOWAS Parliament headquarters in Abuja at the same complex.
” In conclusion, I would like to emphasise that as you conduct the business of six legislature It is my hope that your discussions will provide me the opportunity to address the prime concerns of the region and come up with resolutions that will lead to the attainment of peace and the advancement of all.
“You can stand assured that Nigeria is always ready to support the ECOWAS. The parliament in particular will be made effective and democracy will flourish if we support it and we fight for it.
The inaugural session of the Sixth Legislature of the Parliament which formally marks the commencement of the business of the legislature, is being convened in pursuant to Article 28 of the Supplementary Act on the Enhancement of the Powers of the ECOWAS Parliament of 2016, following the end of the Fifth Legislature of the ECOWAS Parliament on March 8, 2024.
The president of the ECOWAS Commission Dr. Omar Alieu Touray raised alarm of danger of disintegration of the regional body, which he said will affect all facet of life of the community.
He also noted the amount of investment made by the regional body in the three want away countries-Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger Republic which runs into $321 million.
The Senate President, Godswill Akpabio in his remark urged members of the regional Parliament to work in unity.
He saod, “Let us use ECOWAS to ensure that national boundaries are not Berlin walls separating kith and kin, but bridges of unity and progress.
“The road ahead is filled with new challenges and opportunities. Our task is to build upon the foundation laid by our predecessors and to forge a path towards a more inclusive, equitable, and prosperous future. We must strive to deepen regional integration, enhance trade and investment, and promote the free movement of goods, services, and people within our Community.
“Together, we can harness the power of collaboration, innovation, and dialogue to overcome the obstacles that lie before us. Let us remember that the strength of our Community lies in our diversity, and it is through unity and solidarity that we can overcome any adversity and achieve our shared goals.
“It is concerning that in spite of our region’s abundant natural resources and deep human capital, our region has not attained the heights envisioned by our founding fathers.
“I believe the time has come in ECOWAS and in the ECOWAS Parliament for us to play the role of Ghede, and show to each country her devil. This way we will drive all the devils of tribalism, corruption, nepotism, despotism, out of our region.
“Your participation and engagement are vital as we navigate the challenges and seize the opportunities that lie ahead. I have no doubt that together, we will build a stronger, more prosperous, and more united West Africa.”
The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yusuf Tuggar on his part stressed the role of the ECOWAS Parliament in fostering unity in the region.
He also urged members of the regional Parliament to ensure that their positions on key issues are harmonized with the decisions of the Authority of ECOWAS.
He said, “In the face of the various challenges confronting our region, including peace, stability, security, as well as the unity of our region, the role of the Parliament is more important than ever.
” The balance between executive, judicial and legislative arms is critical for effective, responsive and transparent governance. This was recently demonstrated by the key role played by Senegal’s judiciary in ensuring that national elections were not delayed. ECOWAS is no different. Let us remember that democracy is a process not an event. The Parliament, and other Community Institutions, are of vital importance in promoting democracy and regional stability.
” It is, therefore, imperative that the Parliament continues to work in synergy with the ECOWAS Commission and other Institutions that serve as the executive and judicial arms of our organization. Collaboration between the Commission, Court and Parliament is essential to ensure the smooth implementation of policies and programs that benefit our citizens. I encourage you to maintain constructive dialogue with other bodies and to align your efforts with the broader objectives of ECOWAS.
“Furthermore, I urge the new members of Parliament to ensure that your positions on key issues are harmonized with the decisions of the Authority of ECOWAS Heads of State and Government. Consistency in our collective stance will strengthen our voice on the international stage and prevent any perception of disunity within our organization.”
The outgoing Speaker of the 5th Parliament, Mohamed Tunis pleaded with the members of the Sixth parliament to pursue direct election of members.
He said, “While it is customary for each legislature to set its own agenda, I passionately appeal that the campaign for the election of Members into the ECOWAS Parliament by direct universal suffrage remains at the top of your agenda. The 5th Legislature raised a lot of awareness about the matter, and I can only hope that
the 6th Legislature will strengthen the fight for direct election, as it is a requirement for representative governance.”
Tinubu Supports Direct Election into ECOWAS Parliaments, Asks Member Statrs to be United
News
Spate in Bloodshed in the North: KACRAN Calls for Diplomatic Solution
Spate in Bloodshed in the North: KACRAN Calls for Diplomatic Solution
By: Michael Mike
As fresh waves of violence leave communities in mourning across Northern Nigeria, the Kulen Allah Vitality Self-Reliance Association (KACRAN) has called for an immediate diplomatic surge to end the spiraling insecurity that has claimed more than 200 lives in recent attacks in Niger and Kwara states.
In a statement issued on Sunday, the association condemned what it described as a relentless cycle of killings, kidnappings and livestock rustling that has devastated families and crippled rural economies.
It also decried the reported abduction of 176 persons in parts of Kwara State, urging security agencies to ensure their swift and unconditional release.
KACRAN said while the military has continued to confront armed groups across the region, force alone cannot deliver lasting peace.
“Permanent peace is built on trust, dialogue and unity of purpose, not bullets alone,” the association said, warning that prolonged militarisation of internal conflicts risks creating more complex and entrenched crises.
The group acknowledged ongoing security interventions under President Bola Tinubu and commended the leadership of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, as well as the Chief of Defence Staff, Christopher Musa.
It praised the sacrifices of troops on the frontlines but expressed concern that despite a defence budget exceeding N5 trillion in 2026, attacks continue in several communities.
According to KACRAN, the persistence of violence suggests the need for a complementary political and diplomatic framework to address the root causes of instability, including poverty, youth unemployment, communal mistrust and competition over land and grazing resources.
The association proposed what it termed a “diplomatic roadmap” anchored on three key pillars: coordinated leadership among Northern governors and stakeholders; structured dialogue to rebuild trust between affected communities; and economic reinvestment in agriculture and youth empowerment.
It stressed that redirecting resources toward job creation, infrastructure and holistic agricultural development — spanning crop farming, livestock and fisheries — would undercut the economic incentives driving criminality.
“Peace and security in the North is the bedrock of peace in Nigeria,” said Hon. Khalil Bello, National President of KACRAN, urging Northern leaders to close ranks and take collective responsibility for restoring stability.
The North has faced years of overlapping security challenges, from banditry and kidnapping to farmer-herder clashes and organized criminal networks. Entire villages have been displaced, schools shut down and farmlands abandoned, worsening food insecurity and economic hardship.
Security analysts note that while military operations have recorded tactical successes, the absence of sustained dialogue and socio-economic reforms has allowed violence to resurface in cycles.
KACRAN warned that Nigeria must avoid the prolonged instability seen in conflict-ridden nations, emphasizing that unity and inclusive engagement remain the only viable path to sustainable peace.
Spate in Bloodshed in the North: KACRAN Calls for Diplomatic Solution
News
Nigerians in Diaspora Commission Boss Demands Justice Over Killing of Nigerian Driver in South Africa
Nigerians in Diaspora Commission Boss Demands Justice Over Killing of Nigerian Driver in South Africa
By: Michael Mike
The Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NiDCOM), Abike Dabiri-Erewa, has strongly condemned the killing of a 22-year-old Nigerian e-hailing driver, Isaac Satlet, in Pretoria, South Africa, describing the incident as deeply troubling and unacceptable.
In a statement issued in Abuja on Sunday, Dabiri-Erewa called on South African authorities to ensure the immediate arrest and prosecution of all those involved in the crime. She said the recurring cases of violence and criminal attacks against Nigerians living in South Africa have become a serious source of concern.
The NiDCOM boss noted that Nigeria and South Africa share a long history of diplomatic, economic and historical ties, rooted in solidarity during the anti-apartheid struggle, however expressing disappointment that despite this relationship, some individuals continue to perpetrate violent crimes against fellow Africans.
Dabiri-Erewa urged South African authorities to guarantee the protection of lives and property of non-indigenes, stressing that justice must not only be done but be seen to be done in the case of the murdered driver.
She reiterated the Commission’s resolve to strengthen rapid response protocols and institutionalise structured escalation mechanisms for handling diaspora-related emergencies. According to her, NiDCOM will intensify risk mapping strategies and deepen structured engagement with host authorities to improve the safety of Nigerians abroad.
Meanwhile, South African police have reportedly arrested a female suspect in connection with the brutal murder of Satlet, which occurred on February 11, 2026, in Pretoria West. The suspect is expected to appear before the Atteridgeville Magistrate’s Court on February 16, 2026, on charges of car hijacking and murder.
Police reports indicate that Satlet had picked up two passengers — a male and a female — through an e-hailing platform before he was attacked and his vehicle hijacked. His body and the stolen car were later discovered in Atteridgeville.
Dashcam footage reportedly captured part of the incident and played a crucial role in the swift arrest of the female suspect. Authorities are still searching for the male suspect, with further arrests anticipated.
The killing has sparked widespread outrage within the Nigerian community in South Africa and back home, with renewed calls for improved safety measures for e-hailing drivers who often operate in high-risk environments.
Satlet, described by friends and associates as hardworking and ambitious, was a student preparing to graduate next month. He had reportedly planned to pursue further studies in Canada, making his death even more devastating for his family and loved ones.
Over the past decade, diplomatic relations between Nigeria and South Africa have occasionally come under strain due to recurring xenophobic attacks and criminal incidents involving foreign nationals, including Nigerians. Several bilateral meetings and joint commissions have been convened to address concerns over citizens’ safety and promote cooperation on migration and security issues.
NiDCOM, established to engage and protect Nigerians in the diaspora, has repeatedly advocated structured frameworks with host countries to respond swiftly to emergencies affecting Nigerian nationals abroad. The Commission has also called for improved documentation, safety awareness, and collaboration between diaspora groups and local law enforcement agencies.
Dabiri-Erewa reaffirmed that while Nigeria respects the sovereignty of South Africa, the safety and protection of Nigerian citizens abroad remain non-negotiable.
Nigerians in Diaspora Commission Boss Demands Justice Over Killing of Nigerian Driver in South Africa
News
Kidnapped worshippers of St. John Catholic Church regain freedom in Benue, four suspects arrested
Kidnapped worshippers of St. John Catholic Church regain freedom in Benue, four suspects arrested
By: Zagazola Makama
The Benue State Police Command has confirmed the release of worshippers abducted during a night vigil at St. John Catholic Church, Ojeji, in Ado Local Government Area of the state.
Sources disclosed that the victims were freed unhurt following sustained search and rescue operations mounted by security operatives in the area.
In connection with the incident, two suspects, Abubakar Jibril and Ashiru Ibrahim, were earlier arrested on Feb. 11, 2026, by the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) in Ado. The suspects were reportedly found in possession of five rounds of 7.62mm ammunition at the time of their arrest.
Further follow-up operations by the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) from Abuja, in collaboration with tactical teams, led to a raid on a hideout linked to one of the suspects. During the operation on Feb. 14, an AK-47 rifle and eight rounds of 7.62mm ammunition were recovered, while two additional suspects were arrested.
The suspects are believed to be involved in the kidnapping of worshippers during the church’s night vigil.
Authorities said investigations by the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID) and the IRT are ongoing, with efforts intensified to track down other members of the syndicate.
Kidnapped worshippers of St. John Catholic Church regain freedom in Benue, four suspects arrested
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News10 months agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
