Connect with us

International

U.S. Vice President says Joe Biden intends to seek re-election

Published

on

U.S. Vice President says Joe Biden intends to seek re-election

U.S. Vice President says Joe Biden intends to seek re-election

U.S. Vice-President Kamala Harris created new uncertainty on Wednesday about President Joe Biden’s intentions to run for re-election in 2024, pulling back from a definitive statement she had made earlier in the week.

“The president intends to run and if he does, I will be his ticket mate.

“We will run together,’’ Harris told an LA Times reporter as she prepared to depart for California aboard Air Force Two.

Advisors had told the reporter that Harris wanted to come to the back of the plane to clarify what she told CNN on Monday.

In an interview with CNN’s Dana Bash, Harris was asked about speculation that Biden would not run and about her own potential candidacy.

“Joe Biden is running for re-election, and I will be his ticket mate,’’ Harris told CNN.

The deliberate clarification on Wednesday is certain to raise questions about Biden’s intentions, which have been the subject of speculation since the 2020 election.

Biden, 79, is already the oldest president in American history.

A prominent Democrat, who is close to the White House, said Harris’ comments Wednesday were not an indication that Biden’s thinking has changed about seeking re-election.

Biden and other White House officials have said repeatedly that he expects to run in 2024.

Harris’ follow-up statement was intended to avoid using trigger words that would set off requirements for Biden to establish a formal campaign with the Federal Election Commission and begin fundraising.

The Democrat who requested anonymity to convey internal discussions said.

Still, many Democrats have speculated privately about Biden’s future and whether Harris, who has low public approval ratings, is still the favourite to lead the ticket if Biden declines to run.

Harris’ equivocation over Biden’s intentions two days after her initial comments to CNN was likely to add to that speculation. 

U.S. Vice President says Joe Biden intends to seek re-election

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

International

UK Expresses Commitment to Restoration of Peace in Northeast

Published

on

UK Expresses Commitment to Restoration of Peace in Northeast

By: Michael Mike

The United Kingdom has expressed its commitment to the restoration of peace, stability and sustainable solutions to the troubled Northeast region which has been bedeviled by insurgency.

The British Deputy High Commissioner, Gill Atkinson made the commitment on Monday when she paid a courtesy call on Borno State Governor Babagana Zulum in Maiduguri.

Atkinson who commended Zulum for his commitment to fighting insurgency in Borno, said: “On behalf of the British Government, I recognise the effort of His Excellency, the Governor, in tackling insurgency and supporting the people of Borno State, particularly aiming to secure a prosperous future for the people displaced by insurgency.

“I want to reaffirm the UK’s commitment to supporting peace, stability and sustainable solutions, particularly through the ongoing regional stabilisation facility.”

Responding, the Secretary to Borno State Government who received the Deputy High Commissioner on behalf of Governor Zulum, expressed appreciation to the UK Government for their partnership and support.

He said,: “With the UK Government to start with, we have quite a number of very strong partnerships. His Excellency appreciates it, and he specifically instructed me to convey the special message of appreciation.”

The meeting was attended by the Commissioner for Environment, Engr Emet Kois, Education, Engr Lawan Abba Wakilbe, Work and Housing, Engr Mustapha Gubio, Transport and Energy, Aliyu Mohammed Bamanga and Inter-Governmental and Special Duties, Tukur Shani.

Others in attendance include Special Adviser on Security to the Governor, Abdullahi Ishaq, the Senior Technical Assistant, Political, to the Governor, Alhaji Tahiru Shettima, Permanent Secretary of political and cabinet, Danjuma Ali, and the Executive Secretary of Borno State Agency for Coordination of Sustainable Development and Humanitarian Response (BOACSDHR), Babakura Mamman Gadai.

UK Expresses Commitment to Restoration of Peace in Northeast

Continue Reading

Crime

Troops Foil Bandit Attack in Dabai Town, Kebbi

Published

on

Troops Foil Bandit Attack in Dabai Town, Kebbi

By: Zagazola Makama

A swift response by the Nigerian troops in Kebbi has foiled a bandit attack on Dabai Town, forcing the assailants to flee after a gun battle with security operatives.

Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that the attack occurred around 2 a.m. when suspected bandits attempted to invade the town.

“Security forces were immediately dispatched to intercept the assailants and engaged them in a fierce exchange of gunfire,” the source said. “Overwhelmed by superior firepower, the bandits abandoned their mission and escaped.”

While no casualties were reported, security operatives have intensified patrols in the area to prevent further attacks.

Troops Foil Bandit Attack in Dabai Town, Kebbi

Continue Reading

International

U.S. Condemns Killing of Catholic Priest in Kaduna

Published

on

U.S. Condemns Killing of Catholic Priest in Kaduna

By: Zagazola Makama

The United States Mission in Nigeria has condemned the brutal killing of Reverend Father Sylvester Okechukwu in Kaduna State, describing it as a senseless act of violence.

In a statement posted on its official X (formerly Twitter) account, the U.S. Mission expressed deep distress over the incident and extended condolences to the family, congregation, and community of the late cleric.

“We strongly condemn this horrific act of violence. Our thoughts are with them during this time of profound grief,” the statement read.

The mission also called on Nigerian authorities to ensure that those responsible are brought to justice.

Father Okechukwu’s killing has sparked outrage and renewed calls for enhanced security measures, especially in regions affected by banditry and violent attacks.

The Kaduna State Police Command has yet to issue an official statement on the incident, but security agencies are reportedly investigating the circumstances surrounding his death.

U.S. Condemns Killing of Catholic Priest in Kaduna

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights