News
UNESCO postpones world heritage meet in Russia indefinitely

UNESCO postpones world heritage meet in Russia indefinitely
A meeting of the UN cultural agency’s World Heritage Committee scheduled to have been hosted by Russia in June has been postponed indefinitely, a source said Thursday, after weeks of intense diplomatic wrangling prompted by the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
The Russian ambassador to UNESCO had proposed postponing the meeting, to have been hosted by the Russian city of Kazan, and its indefinite postponement has now been formally agreed, a senior UNESCO source told AFP, asking not to be named.
READ ALSO: 2023: Again, PDP Extends Sales Of Nomination Forms
The ambassador, as the current president of the World Heritage Committee, had made the proposal in a letter to fellow committee member states and it was formalised as no objections were forthcoming, the source added.
The meeting is notably tasked each year with deciding which sites and monuments will be given the organisation’s coveted World Heritage status — and which could be stripped of the label if countries have fallen short on looking after them.
The meeting from June 19-30 was one of the few international events that Russia was still scheduled to host after President Vladimir Putin invaded Ukraine.
But a coalition of mainly Western nations — led by the UK — had launched a campaign urging the current committee members not to let Russia host the event.
The issue became particularly controversial as UNESCO has made clear the invasion has caused damage to almost 100 cultural sites in the country.
“This consensus makes it possible to approach things calmly and to avoid that world heritage, which is normally a cause for harmony, does not find itself caught up in a war,” said one diplomat at the Paris-based cultural agency, who asked not to be named.
The UK and its allies had earlier this month called for a different solution, urging that the committee meeting take place, but not in Russia or under a Russian presidency.
News
Nigeria aims at strengthening conflict-sensitive climate adaptation

Nigeria aims at strengthening conflict-sensitive climate adaptation
By: Michael Mike
The Federal Ministry of Environment, through its Department of Climate Change, in collaboration with the NAP Global Network, has launched an inception workshop aimed at strengthening Nigeria’s capacity for conflict-sensitive climate adaptation while unveiling a new report on integrating peacebuilding into the country’s National Adaptation Plan (NAP) process.
The event, held in Abuja, brought together senior government officials, development partners, security experts, and representatives from various ministries, departments, and agencies (MDAs). It marked a critical step in mainstreaming conflict-sensitivity into Nigeria’s climate policies and development planning.
Delivering the welcome address, the Director, Department of Climate Change, Dr. (Mrs) Iniagbong Abiola-Awe, stressed the urgency of addressing climate impacts that are increasingly exacerbating insecurity across Nigeria.
“Climate change is already driving extreme weather events, threatening biodiversity, damaging infrastructure, and fueling security challenges.
While mitigation efforts continue, adaptation is equally crucial so that we can adjust systems without undermining daily life,” she said.
She explained that Nigeria’s ongoing NAP formulation will provide a medium to long-term strategy for addressing climate vulnerabilities in a transparent and participatory manner.
Representing the NAP Global Network, Ms. Katrina underscored the importance of linking adaptation with peacebuilding.
“Unpredictable rainfall, rising temperatures, and resource stress often intersect with social and political tensions. If poorly managed, these pressures can worsen inequalities and deepen conflicts.
But if addressed thoughtfully, they can foster cooperation, dialogue, and peace,” she noted, adding that Nigeria’s leadership in this space sets an example for other countries grappling with similar challenges.
The Permanent Secretary of the Ministry, in his opening remarks, recalled Nigeria’s commitment under international agreements such as the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change and the Kyoto Protocol, highlighting the country’s pledge under its Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC 3.0) to cut greenhouse gas emissions by 47% with international support.
He explained that beyond mitigation, Nigeria’s NAP process—supported by the Green Climate Fund—is focusing on adaptation strategies in 13 thematic areas, including climate risk and vulnerability assessments, to strengthen community resilience.
He emphasized that conflict-sensitivity is vital, given Nigeria’s security challenges such as farmer-herder clashes, cattle rustling, and banditry.
“Ignoring medium and long-term adaptation needs in a fragile, conflict-prone context would be a mistake.
Climate action, if conflict-sensitive, can break cycles of fragility by tackling root causes, improving social well-being, and promoting peace,” he said.
The new report launched at the workshop outlines practical guidance for integrating peacebuilding into adaptation processes, identifying enabling factors such as leadership, data, financing, institutional arrangements, stakeholder engagement, and skills development.
Stakeholders were urged to provide meaningful input into the materials being developed and to ensure that climate activities undertaken by their institutions are conflict-sensitive.
The workshop concluded with a call for stronger collaboration, capacity building, and inclusive approaches that position Nigeria as a global leader in linking climate resilience with peacebuilding.
Nigeria aims at strengthening conflict-sensitive climate adaptation
News
NSCDC Calls for Collaboration to Tackle Illegal Mining in Nigeria

NSCDC Calls for Collaboration to Tackle Illegal Mining in Nigeria
By: Michael Mike
The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps Commandant General, Prof. Abubakar Audi has called for collaboration with security agencies to combat the cases of illegal mining in the country.
Speaking at a high-level National Stakeholders and Civil Society Summit in Abuja, where he addressed on the need of expanded role of the Corps in combating illegal mining and protecting national asset, Audi noted that the fight against illegal mining cannot be won by security forces alone, but requires grassroots engagement, local intelligence, and community buy-in.

At the event which was held at the Nigerian Army Resource Centre, where senior officials from government, civil society, and security agencies sat to examine pressing threats including terrorism, oil theft, violent extremism, illegal mining, and human rights violations, Audi who served as the Guest Speaker, anchored his address on the theme: “The Role of Community Leaders and Civil Society Organisations in Tackling Illegal Mining in Nigeria.”
Represented by the Mining Marshals Commander; Assistant Commandant Attah Onoja, delivered remarks that drew attention from participants, and underscored the Corps’ record of success under his watch.
Onoja said: “Under the leadership of the Commandant General, Prof. Audi, the Corps has recorded tremendous success in disrupting illegal mining operations across various states,” adding that: “This has not only safeguarded Nigeria’s mineral resources but has also positively impacted government revenue and local economic development.”
He noted that the Mining Marshals, established during Audi’s tenure, have spearheaded intelligence-led operations against illicit resource extraction. Officials say their work—ranging from strategic deployments and arrests to seizures and prosecutions—has reshaped enforcement in a sector long plagued by criminal activity and revenue losses.

Onoja also called for greater inter-agency collaboration, coordination and cooperation, stressing that threats such as banditry and terrorism demand collective responses. “Security challenges…require collective action and sustained policy implementation,he noted, while reaffirming the Corps’ commitment to professionalism and integrity.
The summit agreed that the Nigeria’s security institutions—including the NSCDC—must be further empowered to confront the array of crimes undermining the country’s economic stability and democratic order.
NSCDC Calls for Collaboration to Tackle Illegal Mining in Nigeria
News
Police probe alleged abduction, release of TikTok influencer Peller in Lagos

Police probe alleged abduction, release of TikTok influencer Peller in Lagos
By: Zagazola Makama
The police in Lagos are investigating the circumstances surrounding the alleged abduction and safe release of a TikTok influencer, Habeeb Hamzat Adelaja, popularly known as Peller.
Security sources told Zagazola Makama that the incident was reported at about 1:30 a.m. on Aug. 28 by one Uthman Bello of Platinum Rows Estate, Lekki.
“Bello reported that on Aug. 27, at about 10:40 p.m., while he was on a live video call with his friend, Habeeb Hamzat Adelaja, he received information that the victim had been forcefully dragged into a commercial bus, popularly called Korope, along Nike Art Gallery, Ikate, Ilasan.
“He immediately drove to the scene, where he found the victim’s vehicle untouched.
“However, the victim was later released unhurt by his captors at Jubilee Bridge, Ajah, at about 12:30 a.m. without any ransom paid,”said the sources.
The sources added that detectives visited the scene and the victim was reunited with his family, while investigation was ongoing to unravel the truth behind the alleged abduction.
Police probe alleged abduction, release of TikTok influencer Peller in Lagos
-
News1 year ago
Roger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years ago
THE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
Opinions4 years ago
POLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
News1 year ago
EYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Columns1 year ago
Army University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
ACADEMICS2 years ago
A History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Opinions2 years ago
Tinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
-
Politics3 months ago
2027: Why Hon. Midala Balami Must Go, as Youths in Hawul and Asikira/Uba Federal Constituency Reject ₦500,000 as Sallah Gift