News
UNICEF Hands Over Medical Equipment Worth Over $300,000 To Borno Govt
UNICEF Hands Over Medical Equipment Worth Over $300,000 To Borno Govt
By Francis Okoye
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), has handed over health supplies and equipment worth over $300,000 US dollars to Borno state government.
Speaking at a brief handover ceremony held at UNICEF Central Store in Maiduguri on Thursday, the UNICEF Chief of Borno Field Office, Phuong Nguyen, said a quarter of health facilities in north-east Nigeria have been destroyed, while a shortage of health workers and essential equipment and drugs has impeded the delivery of quality health services to pregnant women, newborns and children.
She noted that the intervention was to ensure that
pregnant women, newborns and vulnerable children are getting better healthcare services to fulfill their potential.
According to her, women and children have paid the highest cost of armed conflict in north-east Nigeria, especially in 2020, with each day of conflict claiming the lives of 170 children from direct and indirect causes in northeast Nigeria, which reduced access to health services, based on the United Nations Developement Programme ( UNDP) agency report.
She explained that UNICEF will soon hand over a newly built primary health care center and supplies worth over $15,000 already installed at the Hajj Camp Clinic to strengthen healthcare delivery for children and adults affected by conflict in Borno state.
She said, “Protracted conflict has continued to contribute to disease outbreaks and high maternal and child mortality rates, including child malnutrition in north-east Nigeria.
“With this intervention, pregnant women, newborns and children affected by conflict in Borno State will be able to access qualitative healthcare services in their communities, through the provision of essential health supplies in primary health care facilities located in their communities.”
“This support is in addition to other essential health and nutrition services UNICEF and donors is providing to conflict-affected women and children through the government and other partners.
She further explained that UNICEF will continue to work with governments across the north-east to ensure the survival and wellbeing of women and children.
Receiving the the medical supplies, the Borno state commissioner of health, Prof. Malam Gana said the equipment will go a long way in reducing neonatal morbidity and mortality rate in the Borno.
He explained that Borno state is one of the state in Nigeria with highest indices of maternal and neonatal mortality but said UNICEF is committed to seeing that every child and pregnant woman gets the best healthcare delivery in the state.
“I will like to recall the generosity of UNICEF in terms of assisting the Borno state government especially in this 13th years of insurgency which had resulted in the lost of 45 % per cent of our health care facilities .
“”Some of them were partially damaged and some of them were neglected by the insurgents and it has led to lost of a lot of personnel . Some were kidnapped, some were killed and some have suffered from distress disorder, that left Borno state in a callous and critical situation.
“But with the assistance from UNICEF, we have gotten some succour for our people, ” Gana said.
UNICEF Hands Over Medical Equipment Worth Over $300,000 To Borno Govt
News
Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau
Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 3 of Operation Enduring Peace intervened in a reported case of farm destruction caused by cattle grazing in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State.
Security sources said the troops responded at about 1:30 p.m. on May 19 following a report that farmland belonging to one Bitrus Isah had been damaged by cattle allegedly owned by one Abdul Abu at Rigochongo village.

On arrival at the scene, the troops reportedly intercepted 49 cows and nine sheep grazing on the farmland without any herder present.
The livestock were secured to prevent further destruction and escalation of tension in the community.
Security sources said both parties involved were subsequently invited for amicable resolution of the dispute in order to maintain peace and prevent reprisal actions.
Authorities added that the intervention formed part of ongoing efforts to manage farmer-herder-related conflicts and sustain harmony across communities in Plateau State.
Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau
News
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 7, Sub-Sector 71 of Operation Enduring Peace have foiled a kidnapping attempt along a highway in Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
Security sources told Zagazola that the incident occurred at about 12:15 a.m. on May 21 when troops deployed at Ungwan Gora checkpoint responded to distress information on suspected kidnappers operating along the road at Ungwan Dariya village.
The troops reportedly moved swiftly to the location, forcing the suspected kidnappers to abandon their mission and flee into surrounding areas.
During the operation, one victim was rescued with injuries sustained during the attack.
The victim was immediately evacuated to Confidence Hospital, Fadan Karshi, for medical treatment.
Security sources said efforts were ongoing to track and apprehend the fleeing suspects, while patrols had been intensified along the axis to prevent further incidents.
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
News
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
By: Zagazola Makama
A suspected collaborator of kidnappers has died after becoming unconscious while in military custody in Nasarawa State.
Security sources said troops of Sector 2 under Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) intercepted the suspect at about 7:00 a.m. on May 19 at Ancha community in Akwanga Local Government Area.
The suspect was reportedly apprehended at Anguwan Makama following allegations of involvement in activities linked to kidnapping operations in the area.
During preliminary interrogation, the suspect reportedly became unconscious.
He was immediately evacuated to Nunku Primary Health Care Centre for medical attention, where he was confirmed dead by health officials.
Sources added that the remains of the deceased were released to his family for burial in accordance with local customs.
Security authorities said further assessment would continue in line with standard procedures, while operations against kidnapping networks in the area remain ongoing.
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
