News
Violation of Environmental Law: NESREA to Sanction Erring Facilities in FCT
Violation of Environmental Law: NESREA to Sanction Erring Facilities in FCT
By: Michael Mike
The National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency (NESREA) has embarked on a fresh round of compliance monitoring exercise to facilities in and around the Federal Capital Territory in a move to exact compliance from erring facilities.
According to a statement on Friday, the exercise would be followed by an enforcement action where facilities would be sanctioned for crimes against the environment.
The Director General of NESREA, Prof. Aliyu Jauro, was quoted in the statement signed by the organisation’s Assistant Director (Press), Amaka Ejiofor to have
said, “My office is besieged daily by Nigerians with complaints bordering on the activities of facilities and the negative impact on their health and the environment. Notice of compliance concerns had been served on the facilities and many have refused to abate their infractions on the environment.
“This time, the agency is going ahead to impose sanctions and prosecute defaulters where necessary. We are starting off with the FCT but the exercise will get to all states of the Federation. We are at a point where we must do all it takes to protect our environment because it is a basic necessity for our survival on planet Earth.”
NESREA is the foremost environmental enforcement agency in the country charged with the responsibility of enforcing all environmental laws, guidelines, policies, standards and regulations in Nigeria and also to prohibit processes and the use of equipment or technology that undermine environmental quality and to enforce compliance with the provisions of international agreements, protocols, conventions and treaties to which Nigeria is signatory.
Violation of Environmental Law: NESREA to Sanction Erring Facilities in FCT
News
Chief Imam of Ogbomoso calls for stiff punishment for kidnappers, urges FG to enforce maximum penalties
Chief Imam of Ogbomoso calls for stiff punishment for kidnappers, urges FG to enforce maximum penalties
By: Zagazola Makama
The Chief Imam of Ogbomoso has called on the Federal Government to adopt stricter measures against kidnappers and armed criminals involved in attacks on schools and abduction of children, urging that offenders be made to face the full weight of the law.
The religious leader made the call while reacting to recent cases of school attacks, killings of teachers, and abduction of pupils in parts of the country, describing such acts as grave crimes against humanity and unacceptable under any moral or legal standard.
He stressed that individuals who engage in kidnapping, killing of innocent civilians and terrorising communities should not be granted leniency, amnesty or reintegration, but should instead be prosecuted and subjected to the maximum penalties prescribed under Nigerian law.
The Chief Imam said religious teachings emphasise justice, protection of innocent lives and accountability for those who commit serious crimes, adding that insecurity affecting schools and rural communities must be confronted decisively by the state.
He called on security agencies and judicial authorities to ensure that arrested suspects are properly prosecuted in accordance with due process, while urging government to strengthen protective measures around vulnerable communities, especially schools and rural settlements.
According to him, sustained attacks on teachers, children and civilians undermine national stability and require a firm and coordinated response from both security and justice institutions.
The Imam further urged policymakers to prioritise the safety of citizens over considerations that may weaken deterrence, insisting that justice must be seen to be served in order to restore public confidence in the security system.
He, however, maintained that all actions must remain within the framework of the law, stressing that the rule of law remains central to any sustainable response to insecurity.
Chief Imam of Ogbomoso calls for stiff punishment for kidnappers, urges FG to enforce maximum penalties
News
Security Agencies Conduct Show of Force, Secure Jumat Prayers in Jos-Bukuru
Security Agencies Conduct Show of Force, Secure Jumat Prayers in Jos-Bukuru
By: Zagazola Makama
Security agencies in Plateau State have conducted a coordinated show of force and provided security coverage for Jumat prayers across major locations within the Jos-Bukuru metropolis.
Security sources disclosed that the operation, carried out at about 1:00 p.m. on May 22, involved troops of Operation Enduring Peace personnel of the Nigerian Air Force 551 Station, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), and other sister security agencies.
According to the sources, the joint operation covered key flashpoints within the Jos-Bukuru operational area as part of proactive measures to ensure a hitch-free religious observance.
The exercise also included the provision of adequate security for Jumat prayers at various mosques across different sects and sub-sects within the area.
The sources added that the coordinated deployment was aimed at deterring criminal elements and denying them freedom of action within the metropolis.
Security authorities confirmed that the Jumat prayers were conducted peacefully without any security incident recorded across the covered locations.
Security Agencies Conduct Show of Force, Secure Jumat Prayers in Jos-Bukuru
News
Troops Respond to Isolated Killing of Civilian Guard in Plateau by Militia elements in Mangu
Troops Respond to Isolated Killing of Civilian Guard in Plateau by Militia elements in Mangu
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 8 (Sub-Sector 81), Operation Enduring Peace, have responded to a reported attack and killing of a civilian security guard, Saidu Mohammed, by militia elements in Gindiri area of Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State.
Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 9:30 a.m. on May 22 at a farm near a dam in the area.
According to the sources, troops were mobilised to the scene following a distress call and found the lifeless body of the victim, who was said to have sustained machete cuts.
The remains of the deceased were recovered and subsequently handed over to his family for burial in accordance with Islamic rites.
The sources added that preliminary assessment suggested the attack may have been carried out by suspected militia elements operating in the general area.
Authorities said efforts were ongoing to identify, trail and apprehend those responsible for the killing, while security surveillance in the area had been intensified.
Troops Respond to Isolated Killing of Civilian Guard in Plateau by Militia elements in Mangu
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Politics12 months ago2027: Why Hon. Midala Balami Must Go, as Youths in Hawul and Asikira/Uba Federal Constituency Reject ₦500,000 as Sallah Gift
