Connect with us

Uncategorized

Wife stabs husband to death in Yobe

Published

on

Wife stabs husband to death in Yobe

By: Our Reporter

The Yobe state police command said it is saddened by the unfortunate actions of a couple that led to the death of a promising young man due to the consequences of an abusive marriage.

A statement from DSP DUNGUS ABDULKARIM, Mnipr, on Wednesday said that on 26-06-24, at about 1000 hrs, the C Divisional Police Headquarters received a complaint from a neighbor in Abbari Ward, Damaturu, about a couple, Ibrahim Yahaya, 25 years old, and Zainab Isa, 22 years old.

The couple had a violent argument on the same date at about 0900 hours, which escalated into a scuffle. The wife used a knife to stab the husband in the chest, and he subsequently died from his grievous injury before the police rescue team arrived.

The assailant was brought to the state CID for a discreet investigation and subsequent arraignment before the court for determination.

According to her confession, she did not intend to kill her husband but stabbed him in self-defense during a beating and kicking incident resulting from the husband while she was still recovering from a recent medical operation from childbirth.

She further stated that their marriage had been marred by violence from the outset, often occurring when she requested food or money, and had continued even after the birth of their first child and the arrival of their second child, despite her husband’s inability to provide for their needs.

The Commissioner of Police, CP Garba Ahmed, urges couples to report abuse to the authorities for a durable solution or file a complaint with the nearest Sharia or family court for possible redress. The command calls on community members to address marital relationship issues with keen interest and a socioeconomic perspective to prevent escalation from minor crises to larger ones, such as homicide.”

Wife stabs husband to death in Yobe

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Uncategorized

Bandit attack in Zamfara leaves one dead, three abducted

Published

on

Bandit attack in Zamfara leaves one dead, three abducted

By: Zagazola Makama

Armed bandits have killed a man, injured another, and abducted three people during attacks in Magazu and Fadama areas of Zamfara State, sources said.

According to sources, the attack occurred in the early hours of Feb. 17 when gunmen invaded the western part of Magazu Village, shooting and injuring Aliyu Musa. His neighbour, Ibrahim Haruna, who reportedly came to assist, was shot dead.

In a separate raid later in the same area, gunmen stormed Fadama, abducting three persons, including Abdulhakim Salmanu, 46, and two others whose identities are yet to be confirmed.

Troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA were mobilized to the scene, but the attackers had fled before their arrival. Efforts to rescue the abducted victims and track down the perpetrators are ongoing.

Bandit attack in Zamfara leaves one dead, three abducted

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Civil Society Storms National Assembly, Demands Mandatory Real-Time Election Result Transmission

Published

on

Civil Society Storms National Assembly, Demands Mandatory Real-Time Election Result Transmission

By: Michael Mike

Civil society groups intensified pressure on the National Assembly on Tuesday, staging a second day of protests demanding that the proposed Electoral Act (Amendment) Bill 2026 enshrine mandatory real-time electronic transmission of election results from polling units to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

The demonstrations, spearheaded by ActionAid Nigeria alongside other civic organisations, come amid concerns that the Senate version of the bill dilutes provisions for e-transmission, in contrast to the House of Representatives’ version, which civil society groups have endorsed.

Addressing the crowd, Country Director of ActionAid Nigeria, Andrew Mamedu,, stressed that the demand was absolute. “Real-time electronic transmission of results. Mandatory. Without any condition,” warning that manipulation often occurs at the transmission stage, undermining the credibility of elections.

Mamedu cited India as a global example, highlighting that even with nearly one billion registered voters and limited network coverage, the country successfully implements electronic voting and results transmission — a model Nigeria can emulate. He urged citizens to hold senators and representatives accountable for supporting the mandatory provision.

Convener of Lawyers in Defence of Democracy and Human Rights, Okere Nnamdi, described the protest as a “people’s parliament” rallying behind the House version of the bill. He called on the harmonisation committee of both chambers to adopt the House proposal in full.

Nnamdi warned of legal challenges if the final version falls short, stating, “If anything less than the House of Representatives version is endorsed and signed into law, there will be over 1,000 public interest litigations challenging the 2026 electoral bill.”

On his part, the CEO of TAF Africa Jake Epelle, representing persons with disabilities, reinforced the argument, insisting that credible elections are impossible without real-time result transmission. “No real-time transmission, no credible election. Enough is enough,” he said, pledging continued civic action until the law guarantees electoral integrity.

Protesters emphasised that mandatory e-transmission would enhance transparency, level the playing field for all political actors, and restore public confidence in Nigeria’s electoral system. They vowed to maintain sustained pressure on lawmakers as the National Assembly works to harmonise the Senate and House versions of the amendment bill.

The demonstrations signal a growing civic insistence that Nigeria’s electoral reforms must prioritise technology-driven transparency to safeguard democracy and reflect the genuine will of the people.

Civil Society Storms National Assembly, Demands Mandatory Real-Time Election Result Transmission

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Chairman of hunters killed in checkpoint attack in Kwara

Published

on

Chairman of hunters killed in checkpoint attack in Kwara

By: Zagazola Makama

Mohammed Ndajeba, Chairman of Hunters in Gbugbu, Kwara state has been killed following an attack on a military and Vigilante Group of Nigeria (VGN) checkpoint along the Gbugbu–Garin Daji Road.

Security sources said Ndajeba was reported missing after the incident, prompting a joint search operation by army troops, police and local vigilantes to locate him.

The search team later discovered his body in a nearby bush at about 6:30 p.m. on the same day. The remains were released to his family for burial in accordance with Islamic rites.

Authorities said investigation into the incident was ongoing to determine the circumstances surrounding the attack and bring the perpetrators to justice.

Chairman of hunters killed in checkpoint attack in Kwara

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights