News
Women Radio 91.7 hosts ReportHer Awards

Women Radio 91.7 hosts ReportHer Awards
By: Michael Mike
Women Radio 91.7 is set to host the maiden edition of “The ReportHer Awards” a gender balanced awards in recognition of media organisations and journalists who report women more and give prime time to women related issues. The awards which will select winners in 5 Categories of Television, Radio, Print, Digital and a Journalist, seeks to recognise the representation of women, address the need for an objective and gender sensitive reporting and encourage gender balanced reportage which is essential to nation building.
A total number of 104 entries were received and currently being assessed by a panel of 4 independent judges.
An analysis of data on media reportage on women by the International Press Centre (IPC) at a media dialogue organised by Women Radio in 2022 revealed that only a small percentage of print media increased their reportage on female candidates.
According to Toun Okewale Sonaiya CEO Women Radio 91.7, the media remains the most powerful tool in shaping public perception and only the media can make the public perceive women more by giving adequate media coverage, using more women as sources, analysts, guests and giving them primetime as their male counterparts. Okewale Sonaiya stated that “while we thank the media for the efforts made so far in reporting women, we should aim for a 50:50 balance reportage by deliberately making women an integral part of editorials and features”. She added that, the ReportHer Awards will allow for the opportunity to publicly acknowledge the media that were deliberate and intentional in reporting Women.
The maiden edition of the ReportHer Awards is scheduled for 8 July 2023 at Radisson Blu Lagos Nigeria and is strictly by invitation. The ReportHer awards is an initiative of Women Radio 91.7 in partnership with Wole Soyinka Centre for Investigative Journalism with support from UNWomen and the Government of Canada.
Women Radio 91.7 hosts ReportHer Awards
News
Man Killed in Accidental Shooting During Joint Security Operation in Adamawa

Man Killed in Accidental Shooting During Joint Security Operation in Adamawa
By: Zagazola Makama
A tragic incident occurred on April 3, 2025, during a joint security operation in Girei Local Government Area (LGA) of Adamawa State.
The operation, which involved personnel from the Police, Military, Department of State Security Services (DSS), and Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), aimed to raid criminal hideouts in the area.
Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that during the operation, one of the security personnel accidentally discharged their firearm, striking 21-year-old Bara Adamu of Wuro Bulama, Girei LGA.
The victim was immediately rushed to Specialist Hospital for medical attention but was sadly confirmed dead by the doctor on duty.
Man Killed in Accidental Shooting During Joint Security Operation in Adamawa
Crime
Armed Bandits Kill One in Attack on Commercial Vehicle in Sokoto

Armed Bandits Kill One in Attack on Commercial Vehicle in Sokoto
By: Zagazola Makama
On April 3, 2025, at approximately 1130 hours, a group of armed bandits riding motorcycles, opened fire on a commercial vehicle traveling from Kebbi to Sokoto.
The attack resulted in the death of one Dan Gande Usman, who was shot in the head. The victim succumbed to his injuries while being transported to the hospital.
In response to the attack, troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA were deployed to the area to ensure sanity.
Armed Bandits Kill One in Attack on Commercial Vehicle in Sokoto
Crime
Bandits Attack Rijiya Village in Zamfara, Kill Eight, Set School Ablaze

Bandits Attack Rijiya Village in Zamfara, Kill Eight, Set School Ablaze
By: Zagazola Makama
A deadly bandit attack on Rijiya Village in Gusau Local Government Area of Zamfara State has left eight people dead and a primary school set on fire.
Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that at approximately 1600 hours, on April 3, a group of armed bandits, heavily armed with AK-47 rifles and other dangerous weapons, invaded the village.
The assailants opened fire indiscriminately, resulting in the deaths of two members of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CPG) and six civilians.
In addition to the loss of lives, the bandits set fire to a primary school that was being occupied by the CPG members.
Bandits Attack Rijiya Village in Zamfara, Kill Eight, Set School Ablaze
-
News1 year ago
Roger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions3 years ago
THE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year ago
EYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions3 years ago
POLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
Columns1 year ago
Army University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
ACADEMICS1 year ago
A History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Opinions1 year ago
Tinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
-
Politics8 months ago
Kashim Shettima: Of Sentiments, Their Opinions, and the 21 billion Naira VP’s Official Resident