News
Yobe Government Sets to Launch Fresh Research on the Causes of Kidney Disease in Bade Emirate
Yobe Government Sets to Launch Fresh Research on the Causes of Kidney Disease in Bade Emirate
By: Kolo Gulani
The Governor of Yobe State, Hon. Mai Mala Buni has directed the Biomedical Science Research and Training Center (BioRTC) of Yobe State University and Office of the Special Adviser to the Governor on Science, Research and Innovation, Dr. Mahmoud Bukar Maina, to launch another research on the causes of kidney disease and other related ailments in Gashua and it environs.
This was disclosed today, 10th August 2024 during a courtesy call paid on the Emir of Bade, His Royal Highness, Alh. Umar Abubakar Suleiman in his palace in Gashua.
The delegation which was led by the Commissioner, Yobe State Ministry of Health and Human Services, Dr. Mohammed Lawan Gana, said they were at the palace with a group of International Scientists from renowned institutions across the globe mainly to notify the Emir on the fresh launching of another research on the kidney disease and other related ailments in the state.
Speaking during the visit, the Special Adviser to the Governor on Science, Research and Innovation, Dr. Mahmoud Bukar Maina who doubled as the Director, Biomedical Research Training Center (BioRTC), said the scholars came from the United Kingdom, Germany, Spain, Algeria, Senegal and Ghana.
Dr. Maina also informed the Emir that the team will deepen their research on the root causes of the kidney disease and find out the lasting solutions, stressing that last year the team were with the Governor of Yobe State, Hon. Mai Mala Buni where they visited renowned research institutes including Crick Institute London, University of York, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, University College London and University of Sussex in the United Kingdom.
He then informed the Emir that BioRTC was established with the backing of His Excellency to address such local health challenges through Scientific research.
The Vice-Chancellor of Federal University Gashua, Prof. Maimuna Waziri, who was also there at the palace, said their University is ready to collaborate with the team so as to find a lasting solutions to the menace.
Prof. Waziri added that many have tried to find out the root causes of kidney disease in Gashua and it environs. But to date, the answer remains obscured
In his response, the Emir of Bade, His Royal Highness, Alh. Umar Abubakar Suleiman, said Gashua and it environs has been battling with kidney disease for years. He informed the team that his doors are always open for support in carrying out their assignments.
The Royal Father then thanked the Governor of Yobe State, Hon. Mai Mala Buni and the team for showing so much concern on Emirate, the state and the country in general.
In their separate remarks, the Deputy Speaker, Yobe State House of Assembly, Hon. Ya’u Usman Dachia, Chief Medical Director, Yobe State University Teaching Hospital, Dr. Baba Goni Waru and Dr. Yaw Aniweh from University in Ghana expressed their readiness in supporting the research.
Yobe Government Sets to Launch Fresh Research on the Causes of Kidney Disease in Bade Emirate
News
European Union Commits €22m to Accelerate Nigeria’s Fibre Network Under BRIDGE Project
European Union Commits €22m to Accelerate Nigeria’s Fibre Network Under BRIDGE Project
By: Michael Mike
The European Union has pledged €22 million in grant funding to support Nigeria’s large-scale fibre-optic expansion, reinforcing the Federal Government’s drive to transform the country’s digital backbone.
The grant, announced in Abuja on Wednesday, will be channelled through the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) and on-granted to the Federal Ministry of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy for implementation of the government’s Project BRIDGE initiative.
The EU funding will sit alongside an €86 million loan from the EBRD’s own resources, pending final approval. The operation represents the EBRD’s first major sovereign financing in Nigeria since the country formally became a shareholder of the bank last year.
Minister of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy, Bosun Tijjani described the agreement as a decisive step toward delivering the BRIDGE project within schedule, noting that Nigeria’s digital transformation agenda depends heavily on robust and inclusive broadband infrastructure.
He said the partnership reflects growing confidence in Nigeria’s digital roadmap and expressed optimism that 2026 would mark a year of tangible progress in cooperation between Nigeria and the EU.
EBRD President, Odile Renaud-Basso, who is on an official visit to Nigeria, said the bank was proud to collaborate with the EU to expand digital infrastructure in Africa’s largest economy. She noted that the technical cooperation embedded in the financing is structured to crowd in private capital while ensuring secure, resilient and inclusive connectivity.
EU Ambassador to Nigeria, Gautier Mignot, underscored the strategic importance of digital networks to both Nigeria and the EU, stressing the need for trusted, high-integrity infrastructure built to international standards.
Project BRIDGE aims to deploy 90,000 kilometres of fibre-optic cables nationwide through a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) that will be capitalised with sovereign loans and private sector participation. In addition to the EBRD financing, the Federal Government is expected to receive support from the World Bank and the African Development Bank.
The EU’s €22 million package combines technical assistance with investment support to speed up project preparation and strengthen implementation capacity. It will fund low-level design work for about 40,000 kilometres of the planned network, including route mapping, crossing surveys, digital planning, quality assurance and security risk assessments aligned with global best practices.
Officials said this groundwork would provide the SPV with a ready-to-execute blueprint, enabling immediate rollout once financing arrangements are finalised and the vehicle is established with at least 51 per cent private sector ownership.
Beyond infrastructure, the grant is expected to deepen Nigeria’s digital skills base. About 2,000 technicians will receive specialised training, while small subcontractors will gain access to pooled procurement systems and equipment subsidies designed to reduce entry barriers.
Authorities estimate that these measures could lower deployment costs by between 20 and 30 per cent, while promoting adherence to Nigerian and EU quality standards and encouraging participation of European technology suppliers in the fibre supply chain.
The intervention forms part of the EU’s broader Global Gateway strategy, which supports investments in digital infrastructure, public services and human capital development across partner countries.
For Nigeria, the partnership signals renewed international backing for its ambition to build a resilient, open-access broadband network capable of driving economic growth, innovation and digital inclusion nationwide.
European Union Commits €22m to Accelerate Nigeria’s Fibre Network Under BRIDGE Project
News
Troops repel insurgents, neutralise suspected informant in Borno
Troops repel insurgents, neutralise suspected informant in Borno
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Operation Hadin Kai have repelled suspected insurgents and neutralised a suspected informant during operations in Ngamdu area of Borno.
Military sources said the action followed signals intelligence indicating that suspected Boko Haram elements were massing.
At about 2:30 a.m. on Feb. 18, troops carried out a fire mission on the identified area, forcing the insurgents to disperse and abort their suspected plan.
Shortly afterward, at about 3:45 a.m., troops engaged and neutralised a suspected insurgent informant who attempted to breach the trench defensive position in Ngamdu.
Sources said the troops immediately conducted a search of the surrounding area after the encounter but made no further contact with fleeing suspects.
Troops repel insurgents, neutralise suspected informant in Borno
News
Yobe: Troops Disperse Terrorists, Arrest Five Suspected Arms Smugglers
Yobe: Troops Disperse Terrorists, Arrest Five Suspected Arms Smugglers
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Operation Hadin Kai have disrupted a suspected terrorist gathering and arrested five suspected arms smugglers during separate operations in Yobe State.
Security sources said that at about 6:21 p.m. on Feb. 17, troops conducted a fire mission following credible intelligence that terrorists were converging in large numbers on motorcycles at Mangari, about 10.6 kilometres from the location of the 135 Special Forces Battalion in Buratai.

The swift action forced the insurgents to disperse in disarray, effectively disrupting their suspected plans.
In a separate development, troops of the Forward Operating Base (FOB) Potiskum apprehended five suspected arms smugglers and abductors at about 4:30 a.m. on Feb. 18 at a checkpoint along the Gombe–Potiskum road.

Those arrested included a 41-year-old suspect, Baba Abare, who was found in possession of an AK-47 rifle, alongside four others identified as Idris Zakari, 33; Nasiru Aliyu, 25; Abdullahi Sulaiman, 35; and Mohammed Idris, 34, all said to be indigenes of Potiskum town.

The suspects were intercepted in two Golf Wagon vehicles bearing registration numbers Borno NGL-506XA and Kaduna DKD16-01.

They were disarmed and handed over to appropriate authorities for further investigation.
Yobe: Troops Disperse Terrorists, Arrest Five Suspected Arms Smugglers
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News10 months agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
