Connect with us

News

Zulum distributes N250m to 25,000 widows, vulnerable women in Gwoza

Published

on

Zulum distributes N250m to 25,000 widows, vulnerable women in Gwoza

By: Our Reporter

Borno State Governor Babagana Umara Zulum supervised the distribution of N250 million to over 25,000 widows and vulnerable women through the Borno Renaissance Microfinance Bank in Gwoza Local Government Area on Wednesday.

The distribution took place in four centres, including Central Stadium, Mega Primary School, Government Secondary School and Government Day Secondary School, all in Gwoza town.

The distribution, according to Zulum, was to support women who were victims of the Boko Haram insurgents, some of whom has lost their husbands due to the crisis.

“About 25,000 women benefited from today’s distribution exercise; each of them received N10,000 through the microfinance Bank; we have facilitated the opening of Bank accounts to them to drive financial inclusion,” Zulum said.

He added, “Gradually, we intend to cover all the 27 Local Government Areas and ensure that a sizable number of the population have bank accounts.”

.. Inspects nursing school, approves high Islamic college

Meanwhile, Governor Zulum paid an inspection visit to assess the level and quality of work at the ongoing construction of the school of Nursing in Gwoza.

Zulum, who expressed satisfaction with the quality of the work, directed that the project be completed and put to use in six months.

He explained that his administration decided to establish two new schools of nursing, one in southern Borno and another in Borno north, to address the healthcare needs of Borno’s increasing population.

“The Borno State Government has decided to establish two additional schools of nursing in the state, one in Gwoza and the other in Monguno. This bridges the manpower gap in the health sector, especially in terms of nursing services.

“You have seen the progress, and in sha Allah, this project will be completed in six months. We will ensure hostels are constructed and teachers recruited and, most importantly, enhance the capacity of the General Hospital, Gwoza, to provide a learning environment for the student nurses,” he said.

Before leaving for Maiduguri, Governor Zulum announced a plan to construct a new high Islamic college in Gwoza town that aims to streamline the formal and informal education sectors.

Zulum noted that by establishing the high Islamic college, the government intends to impart proper Islamic comprehension, thereby combating violent extremism among young people.

The governor visited the proposed site for the high Islamic College, which was donated to the Borno State Government by the late Alhaji Muhammad Lawan Buba.

Zulum distributes N250m to 25,000 widows, vulnerable women in Gwoza

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

Published

on

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 7, Sub-Sector 71 of Operation Enduring Peace have foiled a kidnapping attempt along a highway in Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

Security sources told Zagazola that the incident occurred at about 12:15 a.m. on May 21 when troops deployed at Ungwan Gora checkpoint responded to distress information on suspected kidnappers operating along the road at Ungwan Dariya village.

The troops reportedly moved swiftly to the location, forcing the suspected kidnappers to abandon their mission and flee into surrounding areas.

During the operation, one victim was rescued with injuries sustained during the attack.

The victim was immediately evacuated to Confidence Hospital, Fadan Karshi, for medical treatment.

Security sources said efforts were ongoing to track and apprehend the fleeing suspects, while patrols had been intensified along the axis to prevent further incidents.

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

Continue Reading

News

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

Published

on

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

By: Zagazola Makama

A suspected collaborator of kidnappers has died after becoming unconscious while in military custody in Nasarawa State.

Security sources said troops of Sector 2 under Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) intercepted the suspect at about 7:00 a.m. on May 19 at Ancha community in Akwanga Local Government Area.

The suspect was reportedly apprehended at Anguwan Makama following allegations of involvement in activities linked to kidnapping operations in the area.

During preliminary interrogation, the suspect reportedly became unconscious.

He was immediately evacuated to Nunku Primary Health Care Centre for medical attention, where he was confirmed dead by health officials.

Sources added that the remains of the deceased were released to his family for burial in accordance with local customs.

Security authorities said further assessment would continue in line with standard procedures, while operations against kidnapping networks in the area remain ongoing.

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

Continue Reading

News

U.S. AFRICOM Delegation Visits Maiduguri, Reaffirms Counterterrorism Cooperation

Published

on

U.S. AFRICOM Delegation Visits Maiduguri, Reaffirms Counterterrorism Cooperation

By: Zagazola Makama

A delegation from the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) has visited the Headquarters Joint Task Force North East Operation Hadin Kai in Maiduguri to strengthen ongoing counterterrorism cooperation in the Lake Chad region.

Security sources said the delegation, led by the Deputy Director of Operations/Cyber, Rear Admiral Cameron Chen, arrived at Maimalari Cantonment on May 20, where they were received by the Deputy Theatre Commander, Air Vice Marshal O.F. Akinboyewa.

The visit featured a detailed briefing on the current threat assessment in the North-East and ongoing counterterrorism and counter-insurgency operations across the theatre of operations.

Discussions during the engagement focused on enhancing intelligence sharing, intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) support, logistics interdiction, and improved operational coordination within the Lake Chad basin.

The delegation also reviewed ongoing multinational efforts aimed at degrading terrorist capabilities and disrupting logistics networks across the region.

Security sources said both sides reaffirmed their commitment to continued collaboration under counterterrorism and counter-insurgency frameworks, including preparations for Operation Lake Sanity III.

The visit was described as successful and conducted without incident.

Authorities noted that international cooperation remains a key component in sustaining pressure on terrorist groups operating in the North-East.

U.S. AFRICOM Delegation Visits Maiduguri, Reaffirms Counterterrorism Cooperation

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights