Connect with us

Crime

17 suspects nabed over Mangu attacks by suspected bandit militia

Published

on

17 suspects nabed over Mangu attacks by suspected bandit militia

By: Bodunrin Kayode 

17 suspects have been apprehended over the Christmas Eve and recent Mangu massacre, the plateau state command of the Nigerian police has said.

Briefing newsmen in Jos today, the AIG Zone 4 Ebong Eyibo said that as of Thursday, nine suspects were arrested in connection with the massacre of 30 people in Mangu so far, and manhunts are going on for more.

Parading the suspects in jos, Eyibo went on: “Before you are the eight suspects from the December 24th 2023 attack and the nine suspects arrested in connection with the recent attacks in the state.

He said that exhibits recovered from the suspects include dangerous weapons, such as machetes, kegs containing gasoline, and other items.

The area remains highly secured by security forces, and strict compliance with the curfew is being recognized, according to him.

The AIG said that: “On January 24 at about 2200 hrs, we received intelligence concerning an attack that was targeted on the Ntam community and the ASTC Company, both of Mangu LGA.

“Our team of agile police officers from the IGP Special Intervention Squad stationed at the ASTC, in conjunction with Area Commander Pankshin and the DPO, swung into action and thwarted the attempted attack.”

He said that in a separate incident, an attempt by some criminal arsonists in Panyam District to set fire to some worship centers was prevented by swift intervention from the police and with the help of some elders of the community.

“Also, in another development, to further strengthen the existing security architecture in the Mangu Council area, ensure compliance with the curfew imposed by the government, and prevent further escalation of the incidence, which is almost snowballing into an ethno-religious crisis, I have ordered the deployment of additional Special Intervention personnel to Mangu LGA to be commanded by the Area Commander, Pankshin, and restore normalcy in that area.

In another development, he said that a delegation from the Plateau State Government led by the Security Adviser to the Governor, heads of other security agencies, and leaders from both the Christian and Muslim communities gathered at the Mangu Township Stadium and the Miskam Mwaghavul Palace in Mangu yesterday, the 24th day of January 2024, to deliberate and chart a way forward to put a stop to the menace.

“We called on the leadership of both faiths to call their followers to order and ensure total compliance with the government-imposed curfew.

“Both parties have promised to comply in the interest of peace in their communities. So far, over 10 corpses have been recovered from various locations; two injured persons are currently receiving treatment at the hospital; one car; and ten houses were burned down,” he said.

The AIG commiserated with the government and people of the Mangu council area over the loss of lives and properties as a result of these attacks, adding that he will bear zero tolerance for any act of criminality and will continue to intensify efforts towards restoring peace, public confidence, and normalcy within the state.

He then urged the public to remain calm and cooperate with the security agencies, as they are working tirelessly to maintain peace and order in the region.

Meanwhile, the curfew imposed on Mangu still stands, as pockets of attacks are reported to be taking place in the wee hours of the night.

MUTFWANG CONVENES SECURITY MEETING TO TACKLE UNREST IN MANGU

Meanwhile, in response to the escalating security challenges resulting in the loss of lives and property in Mangu Council Area, the Governor of Plateau State, Caleb Mutfwang, has convened an emergency State Security Council meeting.

The meeting, which took place at the New Government House in Little Rayfield, Jos, had in attendance heads of security agencies in the state.

A statement from his spokesman, Gyang Bere, stated that the primary focus of the meeting was a comprehensive review of the security situation in the state, with special attention given to the affected communities for swift and effective intervention.

Governor Mutfwang reiterated his administration’s unwavering commitment to safeguarding the lives and property of citizens of the state.

“He pledged to pursue justice for all citizens affected by the recent incidents,” said the release.

17 suspects nabed over Mangu attacks by suspected bandit militia

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

NSCDC Parades 51 Suspected Illegal Miners, 3 Telecommunications Mast Vandals

Published

on

NSCDC Parades 51 Suspected Illegal Miners, 3 Telecommunications Mast Vandals

By: Michael Mike

The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) has arrested 51 suspected illegal miners and three suspected telecommunication mast vandals in the federal capital territory (FCT).

The NSCDC FCT Commandant, Olusola Odumosu made the disclosure on Monday while briefing journalists.

He said that the three suspected vandals were apprehended by the men of Critical National Assets and infrastructure unit of his command, following a tip-off of the dismantling activity at Giri area by the FCT Command intelligence and undercover operatives

He told the public that before the decommissioning of any mast, an approval of such act must be obtained from the NSCDC being the lead agency in the protection of critical national asset and infrastructure in the country.

Odumosu disclosed that the suspects during interrogation by the command’s Anti-vandal Unit, were unable to show an approval from the Corps.

He said: “Neither do they have any proper means of identification showing who they are and the company they are working for.

“Upon further questioning, they revealed that a a certain business man had already been paid the sum of N4 million ahead for the dismantling which raised suspicion of a premeditated act of vandalism.

“Ongoing investigation is being carried out to determine his level of culpability and ownership claim after which necessary action will be taken.”

The Commandant disclosed that in a similar operation, 51 suspects were arrested in Gwagwalada area of the FCT for engaging in illegal mining activities.

Odumosu explained that the suspects, all male, had been profiled and had no evidence of a registered company they were operating under as well as no exploration and mining licence.

“All acts of illegal mining encroaches on the soil and causes environmental degradation and erosion and that is why most of these areas are no longer useful for agricultural and human activities.”

He said that after thoroughly investigating both cases, the suspects would be charged to court for further disciplinary action that will serve as deterrence to others.

Exhibits recovered from the 54 suspects were dismantled metal mast parts, five pumping machines.

“Un-quantified amount of substance alleged to be gold dust, pumping hoses, ten litres of fuel, shovels, diggers and head- pan.

According to Odumosu, henceforth, we will not relent to arrest any form of sabotage on the economy; the Federal Government is trying so hard to provide infrastructure to make life easy.

“And some miscreants in the name of vandalism and illegal mining are trying to destroy what has been provided.

“People are quick in condemning government but people like these are the ones destroying the efforts of the Federal Government,” the Commandant added.

The Command Head warned vandals and criminals in the FCT to relocate, stressing that, the NSCDC was out for them as there is no hiding place left for them in the territory.

NSCDC Parades 51 Suspected Illegal Miners, 3 Telecommunications Mast Vandals

Continue Reading

Crime

Five Top Bandit Leaders and Dozens of Fighters Killed by Ado Allero in Deadly Clashes in Zamfara

Published

on

Five Top Bandit Leaders and Dozens of Fighters Killed by Ado Allero in Deadly Clashes in Zamfara

By: Zagazola Makama

In a series of violent clashes in Zamfara State, at least five prominent bandit leaders and 48 of their fighters were killed by the Ado Allero group. The confrontations took place on Sunday in Mada village in Gusau, Yan Waren Daji, and Munhaye in the Tsafe Local Government Area (LGA).

Zagazola Makama, a counterinsurgency expert and security analyst in the Lake Chad region, reported that the conflicts began in the early hours of Sunday. They were initiated by the Dogo Bali and Kachallah Mai Yankuzu groups, leading to a significant number of casualties, including the leader Dogo Bali who orchestrated the initial attack.

Intelligence sources informed Makama that Dogo Bali’s death prompted retaliatory strikes from other rival factions. These groups advanced into the forest area from Hayin Alhaji to Munhaye within the Tsafe LGA, seeking vengeance for Bali’s demise.

In response, Kachalla Mai Yankuzu reached out to Ado Allero, who quickly amassed hundreds of fighters, preparing them for the confrontation. However, upon their arrival at the Yan Ware camp in Tsafe, they were caught in a deadly ambush laid by Allero’s forces.

The ensuing gunbattle lasted several hours, during which Ado Allero’s group managed to kill numerous fighters, including four prominent bandit leaders: Dan Makaranta, Malam Gainaga, Mallam Tukur, and Malam Jaddi. Injured fighters were taken to a clinic in Mada village for treatment.

Allero’s forces didn’t stop there; they also attacked the camp of Alhaji Dan Nigeria, another notorious bandit leader, in Yan Ware. Dan Nigeria and his fighters abandoned the site, leaving behind over 150 AK47 rifles, which were then seized by Allero’s group.

On the evening of Sunday, Feb 25, various bandit factions converged on the camp in Munhaye village in Tsafe, where Ado Allero and his men were based. However, the bandit leader had already evacuated the area.

Around 11 pm, several other bandit leaders from the western part of Zamfara, including Yellow Jambros from Dansadau, Damina, Nagala, and Kawaji, arrived in Tsafe for a major confrontation with Ado Allero, who was, however, nowhere to be found. It was also noted that Dogo Gide did not respond to the call to arms nor sent any representatives.

The situation described above suggests a potential escalation in inter-group conflict among the bandit groups, which the military can use to effectively weaken and dismantle the bandit organizations.

Five Top Bandit Leaders and Dozens of Fighters Killed by Ado Allero in Deadly Clashes in Zamfara

Continue Reading

Crime

NDLEA arrests port terminal operator, dock worker over 1,044.29kg Cocaine, Colos

Published

on

NDLEA arrests port terminal operator, dock worker over 1,044.29kg Cocaine, Colos

By: Michael Mike

Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) have begun to unmask members of an organized criminal network behind the recent importation of two containers laden with illicit drugs as well as assorted arms and ammunition from Durban, South Africa to the Tincan seaport in Lagos.

A press statement on Sunday by the spokesman of the anti-narcotics agency, Femi Babafemi said among those already arrested as members of the syndicate are: a clearing and notify party of the two containers, Falowo Kayode; a dock worker, Anjorin Idowu and Uzairu Iguda who is in charge of the five star terminal at the port. Another dock worker at the terminal, Mohammed Sule (alias organizer) who is equally linked to the syndicate is currently at large.

Babafemi said based on credible intelligence, the agency had requested for a 100 percent joint examination of two containers marked MSCU 4581770 and TRHU 7968071 from South Africa. As a result, the exercise was conducted with other stakeholders on 18th and 19th of January, 2024 during which 56.39 kilogrammes cocaine and 795 kilogrammes Colorado, a synthetic strong strain of cannabis among other illegal items were recovered from the containers.

He said following a tasking order by the Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of NDLEA, Brig Gen Buba Marwa (Retd) to a combined team of specialized units of the agency to unravel those behind the importation of the large consignments of the illicit drugs, ongoing investigations have led to the discovery of more bags of Colorado weighing 192.7 kilogrammes, a pistol, and rounds of ammunition removed from the container, MSCU 4581770 and hidden in an empty container before the 100 percent joint examination at the five star terminal.

He said as a result, two suspects: Uzairu Iguda who is in charge of the terminal’s container positioning and stacking, and Anjorin Idowu who is a dock worker in the terminal have been arrested. Another suspect, Mohammed Muktar Sule (alias organizer) now at large, is also a dock worker in the terminal. Investigations revealed that the three suspects conspired with the agent and notify party, Falowo Kayode to remove the 192.7 kilogrammes Colorado, pistol and rounds of ammunition from the container to an empty container in the terminal.

He noted that the latest seizure brings the total recovered from the two containers to 56.39 kilogrammes of cocaine and 987.9 kilogrammes of Colorado with a combined weight of 1,044.29 kilogrammes .

He added that investigations have also revealed three kingpins believed to be based in South Africa and connected with the importation of the containers are Odeyemi Taiwo; Akinyemi Olayinka and Adebayo Adewole who are now on the agency’s wanted list.

In Edo state, NDLEA officers last Tuesday 20th raided a drug joint under powerline off Etete road, GRA Benin city where they arrested a salesgirl, Jessica Destiny, 24, and recovered assorted illicit drugs. A follow up operation the following day led to the arrest of the owner of the joint, 36-year-old Ibrahim Sani who is the Commander, Arewa Association Vigilantes in the area.

A consignment of 179 kilogrammes cannabis was recovered by operatives at Badagry Waterside, Lagos last Wednesday, while a 67-year-old grandpa, Rafiu Ogunro was nabbed last at Magbon, Ogun state with 57 kilogrammes cannabis, 2,700 pills of tramadol, and 231 bottles of Codeine syrup, weighing 2.31 litres.

In Borno, a 25-year-old lady, Zara Mele was arrested with quantities of cocaine and heroin at Baga checkpoint last Tuesday, while Usman Shuaibu, 26, and Mohammed Lawan, 22, were also nabbed with quantities of the same class A drug at Meri and Babban Layi areas of Maiduguri the same day respectively.

Babafemi said no less than 44,820 pills of opioids being taken to Zamfara state by Tasiu Mohammed, 25, and Abubakar Tanko, 54, were intercepted along Jega-Sokoto road by NDLEA officers in Kebbi state, while a farmer Ali Abdulhamid, 35, was arrested in his farm where he grows tomatoes and some stems of cannabis sativa weighing 73 kilogrammes at Bakin Kasuwa village, Birnin Yero area of Igabi local government area of Kaduna state.

Two suspects: Shuaibu Ahmed, 38, and Tanimu Abdullahi, 29, travelling in a commercial bus from Lagos to Kano with 99 blocks of cannabis weighing 37 kilogrammes were intercepted by NDLEA officers along Kwali-Gwagwalada express road, Abuja on Monday 19th Feb, while one Michael Okefi was arrested at Upper Iweka area of Onitsha, Anambra state with 483 bottles of codeine-based cough syrup concealed in two 50-litre kegs. A follow up operation led to the arrest of the suspected actual owner, Osinachi Jasper.
You
Babafemi also revealed that at least 540 grammes of cocaine concealed in canvas shoes heading to the United Kingdom were intercepted at a courier firm in Lagos last Friday by NDLEA operatives of the Directorate of Operation and General Investigation, DOGI.

Equally, a consignment of tramadol 225mg hidden in ladies headgear going to the United Kingdom was also seized same day at the courier house, while another parcel containing ecstasy concealed in body cream container meant for Cyprus was also intercepted.

In Kano state, different quantities of opioids and other illicit drugs were recovered from at least 12 young men arrested in parts of Kano between Monday 19th and Friday 23rd February. Some of the suspects include: Yusuf Abdullahi,20; Usman Muhammed,18; Sadiq Jibrin, 20; Ibrahim Lawan, 25; Ukasha Usaini,19; Sahabi Lamini,15; Isiyaka Mohammed, 28; Bashir Ayuba, 36; Ahmad Idris,18; Abubakar Sani,29; Bashir Mohammed, 21 and Udochukwu Ezekiel, 35.

He said NDLEA Commands across the country continued to intensify their War Against Drug Abuse (WADA) advocacy lectures.

Meanwhile, the Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of NDLEA, Brig. Gen. Buba Marwa (Retd) has applauded officers of the agency across the country for continued arrest of drug traffickers and intensifying the WADA advocacy lectures, thus creating parity between their drug supply reduction and drug demand reduction activities.

NDLEA arrests port terminal operator, dock worker over 1,044.29kg Cocaine, Colos

Continue Reading

Trending