Military
2023 Budget Defence: State House gets nearly 50 per cent cut

2023 Budget Defence: State House gets nearly 50 per cent cut
The Permanent Secretary, State House, Tijjani Umar, says the State House 2023 budget proposal of N21.1bn is comparatively lower than the 2022 appropriation of N40.1 billion by 19.01billion.
Umar revealed this when he led other top management staff of the State House to defend the 2023 budget proposals before the Senate Committee on Federal Character and Intergovernmental Affairs, on Thursday in Abuja.
In his submission, which also included details of the 2022 budget performance, the Permanent Secretary noted that there was a marginal decrease in the personnel cost due to the anticipated retirement of 40 staff in 2023.
According to him, the recurrent expenditure levels in the various cost centres have been maintained except for marginal increases in the Office of the President, Vice President and the Chief of Staff to the President.
On capital expenditure for 2023, Umar explained that the major areas of expenditure in the State House under capital appropriation include the annual routine maintenance of the facilities in the Presidential Villa, Abuja and the State House Complex, Lagos.
It also includes the purchase of operational motor vehicles, State House Clinic and the proposed National Centre for Coordination for Early Warning and Response Mechanism (NCCRM) in the office of the Vice President for Strategic Preparedness and Resilience (OSPRE) .
The facilities in Abuja and Lagos include but are not limited to buildings and infrastructure in the President’s and Vice President’s residences, Offices, State House Auditorium, State House Gymnasium and Presidential Banquet Hall.
Others are, Council Chamber, State House Conference Centre, Presidential and Ministerial Airport Chalets and Airport Lounge in Abuja as well as State House, Dodan Barracks Complex in Lagos.
While noting that commitment to these facilities take 65 per cent of the total appropriation, Umar disclosed that in order to keep them in optimal working condition, N7.20 billion had been proposed for year 2023 as against N7.76 billion in 2022.
‘‘Closely following this, is the dire and urgent need for the complete replacement and upgrading of the communication/telephony system and electronic visitors record management in the Presidential Villa,’’ he said.
He added that N150 million had been proposed for the completion of the telecommunications infrastructure in 2023.
On the facilities and buildings in the Lagos Liaison Office Complex and Guest Houses, the permanent secretary told the Committee that ‘‘they are old and require not only maintenance, but renovation and renewal.’’
He, therefore, expressed concern that the provision of N59 million for maintenance of State House Lagos Complex and Guest Houses was inadequate.
He said that an estimated sum of N644 million would be required to upgrade the facilities.
On the purchase of operational motor vehicles and following discussions with the Budget Office of the Federation, Umar said N1.96billion had been proposed under the phased replacement of vehicles in the Presidential Ground Fleet and those in the Conference Coordination Unit (CCU).
‘‘It is noteworthy that most of the vehicles being proposed for replacement were procured more than 10 years ago and have since exceeded their useful economic lives.
‘‘This has resulted in frequent breakdowns and an unsustainable expenditure on repairs/replacements of parts,’’ he said.
He maintained that the released amount of N800 million was inadequate to procure the required numbers that need to be replaced partly because some of the vehicles are treated and very expensive.
On State House Clinic, Umar thanked the Committee members for their support in getting the Presidential/VIP Wing of State House Clinic off the ground.
He expressed delight that the project which was flagged off on Nov. 1, 2021, was at an advanced stage of completion.
‘‘This level of progress was attained given the full support of Mr President and the assistance of key stakeholders especially this distinguished Committee which has appropriated funds needed with the backing of and support of the Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning,’’ he added.
According to him, the project, which is 80 percent completed, will be delivered by the end of Dec., 2022 or latest during the 1st quarter of 2023.
Speaking on behalf of the Committee, the Chairman, Sen. Abba Moro, before adjourning the meeting sine die, said:
‘‘I am not unmindful that the State House is the hub of the government and everything radiates from there.
”We would do the needful and if there is a need for us to see you again, we will invite you.
”But so far with what has been discussed and presented to us, we will be able to do the needful to the satisfaction of all.’’
2023 Budget Defence: State House gets nearly 50 per cent cut
Military
TROOPS OF OPERATION SAFE HAVEN ARREST KILLERS OF REVEREND FATHER IN KADUNA

TROOPS OF OPERATION SAFE HAVEN ARREST KILLERS OF REVEREND FATHER IN KADUNA
By: Samson Nantip
Troops of Sector 7 Operation SAFE HAVEN have arrested killers of a Reverend Father, Sylvester Okechukwu murdered after he was kidnapped in Tachira village in Kaura local government area (LGA) of Kaduna State.

The suspects were arrested on 25 March 2025 following a raid on the prime suspect’s hideout located at Ruga settlement in Warsa-Piti village in Lere LGA of Kaduna State. During preliminary investigation, the prime suspect, Pate Yau 33 year-old confessed to have been contracted by one Douglas Henry living in the same house with the slain priest to kidnap him.
Troops in a follow-up operation arrested Douglas Henry at Agwan Sariki Tachira in Kaura LGA of the State. The arrested suspects are in custody undergoing further interrogation.
TROOPS OF OPERATION SAFE HAVEN ARREST KILLERS OF REVEREND FATHER IN KADUNA
Military
Troops Foil Bandit Attack in Katsina, Recover Motorcycle

Troops Foil Bandit Attack in Katsina, Recover Motorcycle
By Zagazola Makama
The troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA successfully foiled a banditry attack along Inono Feeder Road, near Gidan Zuma, after a swift response by security forces forced the assailants to flee into the Saminaka Forest in Giwa LGA of Kaduna State.
Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that at about 8:08 p.m., a large number of bandits armed with sophisticated weapons attempted to block the road, likely targeting travelers and local residents.
Upon receiving the distress call, security agencies swiftly mobilized to engage the assailants in a gun duel.
The bandits, overwhelmed by superior firepower, fled into the nearby Saminaka Forest, sustaining severe gunshot injuries in the process.
Security forces recovered one Honda motorcycle, suspected to belong to the fleeing bandits.
Troops Foil Bandit Attack in Katsina, Recover Motorcycle
Crime
Hoodlums Invade Nigerian Army Liaison Office in FCT, One Killed

Hoodlums Invade Nigerian Army Liaison Office in FCT, One Killed
By: Zagazola Makama
A suspected hoodlum was fatally injured while attempting to escape after he and two others invaded the Nigerian Army Liaison Office in Maitama, Abuja.
Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that the incident occurred at about 8:20 p.m. when three unidentified hoodlums stormed the facility located at No. 38 Euphrates Street, Maitama. Upon sighting soldiers on duty, they attempted to flee.
One of the suspects sustained fatal injuries during the escape attempt and was rushed to Maitama District Hospital, where he was confirmed dead by the medical doctor on duty. The remaining two suspects managed to escape.
The corpse has been deposited at the hospital morgue, while investigations into the incident are ongoing.
The Maitama Division of the FCT Police Command is leading efforts to track down the fleeing suspects.
Hoodlums Invade Nigerian Army Liaison Office in FCT, One Killed
-
News1 year ago
Roger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions3 years ago
THE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year ago
EYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions3 years ago
POLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
Columns1 year ago
Army University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
ACADEMICS1 year ago
A History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Opinions1 year ago
Tinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
-
Politics8 months ago
Kashim Shettima: Of Sentiments, Their Opinions, and the 21 billion Naira VP’s Official Resident