Connect with us

News

85 Nigerians receive UK Chevening and Commonwealth Scholarships

Published

on

85 Nigerians receive UK Chevening and Commonwealth Scholarships

By: Michael Mike

The United Kingdom has awarded 85 Nigerians, the prestigious Chevening and Commonwealth scholarships to study a wide range of master’s degrees and PhD programmes in the UK in 2025.

This year, 39 scholars and a fellow received the Chevening scholarships, while 45 scholars have been awarded the Commonwealth scholarship so far. A pre-departure ceremony was held in Abuja for scholars based in Abuja and environs, while a similar ceremony will hold in Lagos in September, for scholars in Lagos and nearby cities.

At the Abuja pre-departure reception, the British Deputy High Commissioner, Mrs. Gill Lever, congratulated beneficiaries who succeeded in securing a scholarship through the highly competitive application and interview process.

Speaking at the ceremony, the British Deputy High Commissioner, Mrs Gill Lever said: “We are proud to see another batch of scholars depart over the next few weeks for the UK knowing that they will come back and add to a very strong Chevening network in Nigeria.

“They will return with a lasting positive disposition towards the UK, acting as ambassadors by sharing their understanding of systems, policies, and life in the UK– and then bringing those experiences back to Nigeria and doing great things while creating a positive change in this country and the world.”

Speaking at the Reception, Director Programmes, British Council Nigeria, Chikodi Onyemerela, said: “As you leave for the United Kingdom for further studies, you carry with you not only your personal aspirations but also the hopes of your communities and the promise of contributing to Nigeria’s future. We are confident that the knowledge, skills, and networks you will acquire in the UK will return as seeds of innovation, leadership, and progress for our nation, particularly, at this phase of its development.”

Chevening fellow, Tijjanni Mukaddas, who will study at the Oxford Centre of Islamic Studies, said: “I feel truly humbled and grateful that with over 18 million Nigerian children denied education, the Chevening Fellowship enables me to craft impactful policies that will integrate them into education. It’s a dream come true; I’m honoured to embark on this journey at Oxford University.”

Commonwealth scholar, Cynthia Okoli, who will study at the Royal Veterinary College (RVC) and London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM), said: “I look forward to developing my interpersonal and professional skills, as well as building lasting friendships and networks that cut across disciplines and cultures through the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC) events and interactions with classmates and faculties from both schools. These experiences will broaden my perspective and strengthen my ability to work effectively in multidisciplinary settings.”
Enda

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

SOJA Condemns Alleged Abduction of Teachers, Students in Oyo, Demands Urgent Rescue Efforts

Published

on

SOJA Condemns Alleged Abduction of Teachers, Students in Oyo, Demands Urgent Rescue Efforts

By: Michael Mike

A human rights organisation, Speak Out for Justice Advocacy Ltd./Gte. (SOJA), has condemned the reported abduction of teachers and students in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, describing the incident and the alleged killing of a teacher, Mr. Michael Oyedokun, as “a case too many.”

In a statement issued on Thursday, the group expressed deep concern over reports that armed attackers abducted teachers and students from schools within the council area around May 15, 2026, while Mr. Oyedokun, a Mathematics teacher at Community High School, Ahoro-Esiele, was reportedly killed during the incident.

The organisation said several victims were still believed to be in captivity awaiting rescue.

SOJA, led by its Founder and Executive Director, Hameed Ajibola Jimoh, commiserated with the affected families and communities, warning that repeated attacks on schools and civilians across parts of the country were becoming alarming.

According to the advocacy group, the incident, if confirmed, raises serious constitutional and human rights concerns under both Nigerian law and international treaties to which Nigeria is a signatory.

Citing Section 14(2)(b) of the 1999 Constitution, SOJA stressed that “the security and welfare of the people shall be the primary purpose of government,” while Sections 33, 34 and 35 guarantee the rights to life, dignity and personal liberty.

The group also referenced Nigeria’s obligations under several international and regional legal frameworks, including the United Nations-backed International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC), the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ACHPR), and the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (ACRWC).

SOJA argued that the obligations imposed by these instruments go beyond symbolic commitments, requiring authorities to take practical and preventive steps to protect lives, especially those of vulnerable groups such as school children and teachers.

“The implication of these obligations in the present circumstances is that government responsibility extends beyond merely reacting after tragic events occur,” the statement said.

The organisation acknowledged reports that security agencies had intensified rescue operations and investigations, but maintained that recurring attacks on schools demanded more decisive and proactive measures.

“This is a case too many,” the statement added.

SOJA therefore called for the immediate intensification of lawful rescue efforts for those still in captivity, a thorough investigation into the incident, prosecution of perpetrators, strengthened security around schools and vulnerable communities, and adequate support for affected victims and families.

The group further urged the government to undertake a comprehensive review of strategies aimed at preventing future attacks on educational institutions.

“Teachers should not become targets. Schools should not become zones of fear. Children should not bear the burden of insecurity,” the organisation stated.

SOJA Condemns Alleged Abduction of Teachers, Students in Oyo, Demands Urgent Rescue Efforts

Continue Reading

News

Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau

Published

on

Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 6, Operation Enduring Peace have recovered a suspected stolen motorcycle following a pursuit of suspected motorcycle snatchers in Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau.

Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 6:30 p.m. on May 21 along the Bachi-Banghai road after troops received reports on the activities of suspected motorcycle snatchers in the area.

The sources said the troops immediately mobilised and pursued the suspects, who abandoned the motorcycle and fled upon sighting the security personnel.

According to the sources, the recovered motorcycle has been secured, while efforts were ongoing to identify the rightful owner and apprehend the fleeing suspects.

The military said the operation formed part of sustained efforts to combat criminal activities and enhance security across Plateau.

Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau

Continue Reading

News

Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau

Published

on

Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 1, Operation Enduring Peace have launched a rescue operation following the abduction of a resident in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau.

Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 11:00 p.m. on May 21 when gunmen reportedly abducted Mr Eze Emeka from his residence at Agingi village.

The sources said troops swiftly responded to the distress report and commenced rescue operations in collaboration with other security agencies.

According to the sources, efforts were ongoing to track down the kidnappers and secure the safe release of the victim.

The military assured residents that security forces were intensifying operations to curb criminal activities in the area.

Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights