News
Flooding: FG Warns Nigerians Against Indiscriminate Dumping of Waste
Flooding: FG Warns Nigerians Against Indiscriminate Dumping of Waste
By: Michael Mike
The Federal government has cautioned Nigerians to refrain from dumping waste indiscriminately and to promote good hygiene practices in order to arrest the ravaging flood.
The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) had recently raised an alarm that 14 states and 31 communities across the country may witness heavy rainfall that may lead to flooding between July 4 and 8.
There have also been instances of flooding in some part of the country so far
The Ministry of Environment has also promised to immediately commence sensitization of residents of the federal capital territory (FCT) on the need to curb indiscriminate dumping of waste.
The Permanent Secretary in the ministry, Mallam Ibrahim Yusufu made the revelation at a news briefing in Abuja towards the commemoration of this year’s national environmental sanitation day.
Yusufu, who attributed the recent flood in parts of the capital city to lack of awareness on sustainable environmental practices, said something drastic needed to be urgently done to arrest flooding during this rainy season.
He also said it has become necessary to improve access to clean water and hygiene among the people, while noting that government would provide functional facilities for the management of both hazardous and non-hazardous waste.
He said the theme for this year’s National Environmental Sanitation Day which is “Promoting Sustainable Waste Management for a Healthy Environment: Stop Open Dumping”, was apt and timely, as underscores the necessity for sound structures to be put in place for containment, collection, treatment, reuse/recycle and final disposal of all waste types solid, liquid & gaseous, thereby ensuring proper waste management and ending open dumping.
He explained that the National Environmental Sanitation Day Commemoration was established to institutionalize sound environmental sanitation practice as a lifestyle amongst the populace through massive awareness creation and reward for innovative best practices in environmental sanitation.
He said: “The Federal Ministry of Environment in collaboration with key stakeholders has been celebrating the NESD since its declaration by Mr. President in 2005 to date and it has promoted behavioural change in sanitation and hygiene practices among the citizenry.
He insisted that the provision of safe, functional sanitary facilities and services in all premises for management of waste materials both hazardous & non-hazardous was necessary for sustainable waste management; noting that “this will go a long way in ensuring high level of behavioural change with respect to SDGs 3, 6, and 7 on good health and well-being, access to clean water and sanitation as well as safe management of the environment.”
Flooding: FG Warns Nigerians Against Indiscriminate Dumping of Waste
News
Operation Whirl Stroke arrests cow rustling suspects fuelling violence in Benue
Operation Whirl Stroke arrests cow rustling suspects fuelling violence in Benue
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of the Joint Task Force (JTF) Operation WHIRL STROKE have arrested suspects linked to cattle rustling in Benue State, following two separate security incidents in Guma Local Government Area.

Security sources said that on Feb. 15, troops responded to an attack on herders at Amua Village, located between Daudu and Umenger/Ukpiam. The attack left one herder dead, while another sustained gunshot wounds and was evacuated to Keana in neighbouring Nasarawa State for urgent medical attention. The remains of the deceased were handed over to community representatives for burial according to local customs.

In a related operation on the same day, troops stationed at Ukpiam acted on intelligence provided by vigilant youths concerning suspected cattle rustling. The troops arrested a 23-year-old suspect, Terngu Aondohemba, who reportedly confessed to killing two cattle belonging to Fulani herders. He also implicated two accomplices, Akpehe and Ashinge, who are still at large.
Further investigation led security operatives to Korje Village in Daudu, where Mrs. Mercy Onban, wife of the alleged buyer of the stolen meat, was apprehended along with the recovered meat exhibits. Both suspects remain in custody pending further investigation.

The Force Commander of the Joint Task Force, Major General Moses Gara, condemned the attacks and criminality, affirming the commitment of Operation WHIRL STROKE to halting killings and cattle rustling in the Joint Operations Area.
He urged community leaders to strengthen collaboration with security agencies, stressing that timely intelligence sharing is critical to restoring lasting peace. Major General Gara also reassured law-abiding residents of the strong resolve of the Joint Task Force to protect lives and property across the region.
Operation Whirl Stroke arrests cow rustling suspects fuelling violence in Benue
News
Federal Government arraigns Nasir El-Rufai over alleged phone interception
Federal Government arraigns Nasir El-Rufai over alleged phone interception
By: Zagazola Makama
The Federal Government has charged former Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, before the Federal High Court, Abuja, over alleged unlawful interception of phone communications belonging to the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.
Court documents showed that El-Rufai, 65, appeared as a guest on Arise TV’s Prime Time Programme on Feb. 13, 2026, where he reportedly admitted to involvement in the interception and to knowing individuals who carried out the act without reporting them to security agencies.

The charges, filed under TABU DET CR/99/2026, include: Count One, Allegedly admitting during the television interview that he and his associates unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, contrary to Section 12 (1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
Count Two, Allegedly stating that he knew individuals who unlawfully intercepted the same communications but failed to report them, in violation of Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024. Count Three, Allegedly using technical systems to compromise public safety and national security, and instilling apprehension among Nigerians, in breach of Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.
The case, filed by a team of Federal Government lawyers led by ME Ernest, OM Owan, UM Bulla, CS Eze, and VE G. Orubor, is set to proceed with investigations and trial proceedings.

Authorities said the matter falls under the jurisdiction of the Abuja Judicial Division of the Federal High Court, where the accused will be required to respond to the charges.
The trial is expected to attract significant public attention given the high-profile nature of the accused and the sensitive security issues involved.
Federal Government arraigns Nasir El-Rufai over alleged phone interception
News
Clash over graveyard access leaves several injured in Kaduna
Clash over graveyard access leaves several injured in Kaduna
By: Zagazola Makama
A disagreement between youths over access to a graveyard escalated into violence on Monday in parts of Kaduna South area of Kaduna State, leaving several persons injured and two houses burnt.
Security sources said a distress call received at about 9:00 a.m. indicated that youths from Makera Village had gone to Ungwan Mission to clear bushes around an abandoned Muslim graveyard in an effort to reopen it.
During the exercise, a youth from Ungwan Mission was reportedly prevented from passing through the site, a development that led him to mobilise others from his community to confront those clearing the graveyard.
The confrontation degenerated into a free-for-all fight, during which some participants sustained injuries and were rushed to hospitals for treatment. Two houses were also set ablaze in Ungwan Mission, though no loss of life was recorded.
Authorities said an emergency stakeholders’ meeting was convened by the Kaduna State Government and led by the Speaker of the State House of Assembly.
The meeting was attended by the Commissioner for Internal Security, representatives of the police, military and Department of State Services (DSS), chairmen of Kaduna South and Chikun Local Government Areas, as well as leaders of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Jama’atu Nasril Islam (JNI), youth leaders and other stakeholders.
Security agencies said efforts were ongoing to identify and arrest those involved in the violence, while measures had been put in place to prevent further breakdown of law and order in the area.
Clash over graveyard access leaves several injured in Kaduna
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News10 months agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
