Connect with us

News

Ahidjo commends vigilance of security team at the UMTH gate

Published

on

Ahidjo commends vigilance of security team at the UMTH gate

By: Bodunrin Kayode

Chief Medical Director of the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH) Prof Ahmed Ahidjo has commended the vigilance of the security personnel who stopped the suicide bombers from entering the facility last week.

Prof Ahidjo said that he was satisfied with the tightness of the security mounted by the personnel at the main entrance who helped save the hospital from clear damnation cooked up by boko haram suicide bombers on that black Monday night.

Prof Ahidjo who chatted casually with this reporter last week during iftah said that if the security whose name is being withheld for security reasons was not vigilant enough, it was the intention of the suicidal criminals to drive to a sensitive area in the facility and unleash worse damnation than was witnessed on that day.

” I have a strong feeling that these criminals were headed for somewhere more sensitive and busy in the facility. But God used the young man to stop them from wasting peoples lives.

“The young security was very brave because he was quite vigilant. They came with an unmarked keke napep not registered with us and were so desperate to drive into our environment by force.

” when the young man stopped them, out of desperation, they threw a food flask containing the improvised explosive device (IED) on him. But he quickly picked the thing and returned it to them. By the time the flask landed on the criminal, it exploded and sent the security boy on the ground tearing some parts of his legs.

” He sustained some injuries and we are treating him. We are happy with his performance and will surely do more for him and all his colleagues to stay alert and to continue doing more for the hospital. ” said Ahidjo

Day two, stabilizing the hospital after the daring attempt

After the entire mop up exercise in the city of Maiduguri, several people were admitted in all the major secondary hospitals in the capital city with UMTH alone treating about 100 patients with 70 on admission in different departments including the heart centre depending on where the fragments pierced into their bodies.

A youth corp member name withheld serving in Damaturu was one of those who lost his life in the Monday market explosion while several others were wounded at the third site under the post office bridge too.

As I drove into the UMTH on the second day, calm had been restored and every one went about their lives as has always being the case.

The trauma centre gate was locked and restricted with policemen making things easy for anyone who is authorized to be there for any reason.

Counting the costs through a press release

A release signed by the spokesperson of the facility Justina Anaso indicated that management was excited about the goodwill it received from well meaning Nigerians who stopped by to sympathize with them at such a trying time.

The UMTH had survived throughout the insurgency and it will not fall now.

The release went on: “The Management of the UMTH regrets to state that an unfortunate incident occurred Monday night at the hospital’s main gate involving two suicide bombers who came in with Keke Napep and were turned back twice from entering the hospital by a security guard because it was not registered.

“On their third attempt, they disembarked and wanted to force themselves in by jumping the search queue. When the guard asked them to go back and join the queue, one of them threw a food flask he was carrying at the security guard who picked it up and threw it back at him.

“It was at this point that the flask exploded bringing the security man down and the second man immediately detonated his explosive device he was wearing.

“The explosion,which took place at about 7:20 pm Monday night, resulted in casualties and varying degrees of injuries.

“Emergency response teams were immediately activated, and all affected individuals were promptly attended to and taken to appropriate care units within the hospital.

“The hospital had over 100 victims, with 25 confirmed dead and 70 patients on admission with some others discharged. These figures are what the hospital received from the Metropolis except two who were casualties at the gate of the hospital.

“We wish to assure the general public that the situation has been brought under control. Security agencies are currently on ground, working closely with the Hospital Management to secure the premises and commence full investigation into the incident.

“Hospital Services within the Facility remain operational although access may be temporarily restricted as a precautionary measure to ensure the safety of patients, staff and well-wishers.

” The Hospital Management and the entire staff appreciates and are profoundly grateful to the Federal government through his Excellency,the Vice President, the Governor of Borno State, represented by the Deputy Governor, the Honorable Minister of Health and Social Welfare who were very supportive and in touch with the hospital throughout the night of the event.

” We thank the Secretary to the State Government, Hon Commissioners, Committee of Chief Medical Directors, Medical Directors and Security forces, our hospital workers, partners with us throughout this trying period.” Said the release.

Management condemns the attack by the criminals

The release also aligned with the Governor Prof Babagana Zulum in condemning the dastardly act which was meant to forcefully send many more souls to the great beyond at a time when they were celebrating the end of the Ramadan fast.

“We would like to state that the Management strongly condemns this act of violence and extends its deepest sympathy to the families of those affected.

“We urge members of the public to remain calm and co-operate with security operatives during this period.

“The Hospital remains committed to providing the highest level of care to all victims and ensuring the safety of everyone within our facility.” Said the release.

As the days rolled by people started coming in for treatment from all corners of the town, Umaru Shehu, Nursing home and the specialist hospitals respectively at the very centre of one of the explosion sites.

The Trauma centre became like a barracks with all the seas of white coated professionals depicting the sub sectors working as a team to save lives.

Eye witnesses told this reporter that humanity was at play because we all share a common humanity with those who had died instantly and non of the team workers wanted it to be recorded that these vulnerable people came to the biggest hospital in the country and died in the process.

As at the time of writing this report more people had fallen from the different hospitals due to lack of blood to keep them going but sources said that “they went all out to get O negative from anyone” they could get to save lives because the blood bank was overwhelmed.

While some reliable sources say the mortality figure has reached 28 as at today, others told this reporter that the UMTH has recorded only 26 from the initial figure of 25.

The big questions observers keep asking about this wicked lingering war

The big questions observers keep asking about this war now is when will all this madness stop? Can’t the security managers in this country seek for help from military contractors since we don’t have enough boots on ground? Is it shameful to seek for help in terms of boots on ground to clear these criminals away? Is it not time for the chief of operations himself to create a second office here in Maiduguri and come motivate his men here himself?

Responding to the Defence Chief Oluyede who came here last week on the orders of the commander in chief, What else have we not done to support the military to win this war? Or is it really time for the government through the minister of defence to call for a seize fire and begin talks with these insurgents? Why do we pretend to be on top of the situation as the Americans did in Afghanistan until they had to leave ignominiously?

Ahidjo commends vigilance of security team at the UMTH gate

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

SOJA Condemns Alleged Abduction of Teachers, Students in Oyo, Demands Urgent Rescue Efforts

Published

on

SOJA Condemns Alleged Abduction of Teachers, Students in Oyo, Demands Urgent Rescue Efforts

By: Michael Mike

A human rights organisation, Speak Out for Justice Advocacy Ltd./Gte. (SOJA), has condemned the reported abduction of teachers and students in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, describing the incident and the alleged killing of a teacher, Mr. Michael Oyedokun, as “a case too many.”

In a statement issued on Thursday, the group expressed deep concern over reports that armed attackers abducted teachers and students from schools within the council area around May 15, 2026, while Mr. Oyedokun, a Mathematics teacher at Community High School, Ahoro-Esiele, was reportedly killed during the incident.

The organisation said several victims were still believed to be in captivity awaiting rescue.

SOJA, led by its Founder and Executive Director, Hameed Ajibola Jimoh, commiserated with the affected families and communities, warning that repeated attacks on schools and civilians across parts of the country were becoming alarming.

According to the advocacy group, the incident, if confirmed, raises serious constitutional and human rights concerns under both Nigerian law and international treaties to which Nigeria is a signatory.

Citing Section 14(2)(b) of the 1999 Constitution, SOJA stressed that “the security and welfare of the people shall be the primary purpose of government,” while Sections 33, 34 and 35 guarantee the rights to life, dignity and personal liberty.

The group also referenced Nigeria’s obligations under several international and regional legal frameworks, including the United Nations-backed International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC), the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ACHPR), and the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (ACRWC).

SOJA argued that the obligations imposed by these instruments go beyond symbolic commitments, requiring authorities to take practical and preventive steps to protect lives, especially those of vulnerable groups such as school children and teachers.

“The implication of these obligations in the present circumstances is that government responsibility extends beyond merely reacting after tragic events occur,” the statement said.

The organisation acknowledged reports that security agencies had intensified rescue operations and investigations, but maintained that recurring attacks on schools demanded more decisive and proactive measures.

“This is a case too many,” the statement added.

SOJA therefore called for the immediate intensification of lawful rescue efforts for those still in captivity, a thorough investigation into the incident, prosecution of perpetrators, strengthened security around schools and vulnerable communities, and adequate support for affected victims and families.

The group further urged the government to undertake a comprehensive review of strategies aimed at preventing future attacks on educational institutions.

“Teachers should not become targets. Schools should not become zones of fear. Children should not bear the burden of insecurity,” the organisation stated.

SOJA Condemns Alleged Abduction of Teachers, Students in Oyo, Demands Urgent Rescue Efforts

Continue Reading

News

Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau

Published

on

Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 6, Operation Enduring Peace have recovered a suspected stolen motorcycle following a pursuit of suspected motorcycle snatchers in Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau.

Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 6:30 p.m. on May 21 along the Bachi-Banghai road after troops received reports on the activities of suspected motorcycle snatchers in the area.

The sources said the troops immediately mobilised and pursued the suspects, who abandoned the motorcycle and fled upon sighting the security personnel.

According to the sources, the recovered motorcycle has been secured, while efforts were ongoing to identify the rightful owner and apprehend the fleeing suspects.

The military said the operation formed part of sustained efforts to combat criminal activities and enhance security across Plateau.

Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau

Continue Reading

News

Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau

Published

on

Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 1, Operation Enduring Peace have launched a rescue operation following the abduction of a resident in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau.

Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 11:00 p.m. on May 21 when gunmen reportedly abducted Mr Eze Emeka from his residence at Agingi village.

The sources said troops swiftly responded to the distress report and commenced rescue operations in collaboration with other security agencies.

According to the sources, efforts were ongoing to track down the kidnappers and secure the safe release of the victim.

The military assured residents that security forces were intensifying operations to curb criminal activities in the area.

Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights