Connect with us

Crime

Alleged N950M Fraud: Court Adjourns Trial Of Young Alhaji Foundation Promoter

Published

on

Alleged N950M Fraud: Court Adjourns Trial Of Young Alhaji Foundation Promoter

Justice Mojisola Dada of the Special Offences Court sitting in Ikeja, Lagos, on June 19, 2023, adjourned till June 23, 2023 further hearing in the trial of one Alhaji Usman Abubakar over an alleged N950m fraud.

Abubakar, alongside Young Alhaji Foundation, is being prosecuted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, on a five-count charge bordering on obtaining money by false pretence and stealing to the tune of N950 million.

He pleaded “not guilty” to the charges when he was first arraigned on February 22, 2023.

At today’s proceedings, the first prosecution witness, PW1, Adeniyi Oyewole, Managing Director, Ano Farms Limited, under cross-examination by counsel for the first defendant, Greg Anumenechi, again, asserted that the said Fawaz forwarded the account details of the second defendant to him.

He testified further that he is an ex-banker who, during his time in the banking sector, dealt in FOREX(foreign exchange).

During the proceedings, the defence sought to tender in evidence the original copies of two statements made by the witness to the EFCC in the course of the investigation.

However, the prosecution counsel, S.I. Suleiman, raised an objection to the admissibility of the statements.

“It is inadmissible, my lord, because it can only be for contradiction; and the defence has not pointed out any contradictions in his testimony,” he said.

The objection was sustained by the court.
According to him, the account details of the second defendant was forwarded to him by Fawaz via WhatsApp.

He also affirmed that he was the one who applied that a lien be placed on the said account in which the N950 million was credited into.

“Yes, I’m the one that applied that a lien be made because I suspected the transaction, and I also initiated a recall. I did it through my bank,” he said.

He testified further that Fawaz told him that the account holder was angry that there was a lien on the account.

“Dr. Fawaz said his bosses were also angry, and that the second defendant had been instructed to return the money,” he said.

He said he told Fawaz that if he received the equivalent in Dollars, as agreed, he would apply that the lien be taken off.
He further noted that it was an audio conversation he had with Fawaz, and that it was already before the court as an exhibit.

The case was adjourned till June 23, 2023 for continuation of trial.

Alleged N950M Fraud: Court Adjourns Trial Of Young Alhaji Foundation Promoter

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Armed Bandits Kill One in Attack on Commercial Vehicle in Sokoto

Published

on

Armed Bandits Kill One in Attack on Commercial Vehicle in Sokoto

By: Zagazola Makama

On April 3, 2025, at approximately 1130 hours, a group of armed bandits riding motorcycles, opened fire on a commercial vehicle traveling from Kebbi to Sokoto.

The attack resulted in the death of one Dan Gande Usman, who was shot in the head. The victim succumbed to his injuries while being transported to the hospital.

In response to the attack, troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA were deployed to the area to ensure sanity.

Armed Bandits Kill One in Attack on Commercial Vehicle in Sokoto

Continue Reading

Crime

Bandits Attack Rijiya Village in Zamfara, Kill Eight, Set School Ablaze

Published

on

Bandits Attack Rijiya Village in Zamfara, Kill Eight, Set School Ablaze

By: Zagazola Makama

A deadly bandit attack on Rijiya Village in Gusau Local Government Area of Zamfara State has left eight people dead and a primary school set on fire.

Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that at approximately 1600 hours, on April 3, a group of armed bandits, heavily armed with AK-47 rifles and other dangerous weapons, invaded the village.

The assailants opened fire indiscriminately, resulting in the deaths of two members of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CPG) and six civilians.

In addition to the loss of lives, the bandits set fire to a primary school that was being occupied by the CPG members.

Bandits Attack Rijiya Village in Zamfara, Kill Eight, Set School Ablaze

Continue Reading

Crime

Police Inspector Killed in Terrorist Attack at Gwoza, Borno

Published

on

Police Inspector Killed in Terrorist Attack at Gwoza, Borno

By: Zagazola Makama

A police inspector was killed during an ambush by suspected Boko Haram insurgents at the Police Mobile Force Training College (PMFTC) Camp Limankara, Gwoza.

Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that the incident occurred at approximately 0600 hours on April 3, 2025, while a team of officers, including those from Mopol Training School Gwoza and various Mobile Police Force units, were on foot patrol.

Inspector Andrawus Musa, attached to 6PMF Maiduguri, was fatally injured during the attack. His service rifle, an AK-47, was taken by the assailants.

The victim was immediately evacuated to the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH) but was pronounced dead upon arrival. The body has been deposited at the hospital for autopsy.

Police Inspector Killed in Terrorist Attack at Gwoza, Borno

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights