Connect with us

News

Arrangement for Building Permanent Shelters for IDPs in Northeast Concluded-IOM

Published

on

Arrangement for Building Permanent Shelters for IDPs in Northeast Concluded-IOM

By: Michael Mike

United Nations migration agency, the International Organisation for Migration (IOM), has said arrangement has been concluded towards building permanent shelters for those affected by humanitarian crisis in northeast Nigeria as a final step in the Reconstruction, Rehabilitation and Resettlement Plan for the region which was adversely impacted by the over a decade Boko Haram crisis.

Chief of Mission, IOM Nigeria, Laurent de Boeck made this known at a media briefing on Wednesday ahead of the launch of the durable solutions housing project design competition, tagged ‘Home After Crisis’, in Abuja.

He said: “Since 2015, the North-East of Nigeria has faced escalating violence leading to an unprecedented housing emergency.

“As of 2023, an estimated 3.5 million has lost their homes or lived in precarious conditions.

“Nigeria currently experiences an acute housing deficit estimated at around 23 million, requiring the construction of one million housing units annually for the next 20 years

He disclosed that the IOM has designed a plan to come to the aid of those affected by this humanitarian crisis through the ‘home after crisis’ funded by the Nigerian Humanitarian Fund, (NHF). He added that competition which brought together 1,600 designers, architects and engineers across 100 countries was held for the housing project.

He said: “Those architects have developed 250 design proposals for low-cost and innovative housing.The housing competition targets the housing challenges linked to Nigeria’s rapidly growing population

“The aim is to provide access to affordable housing built with the goal of delivery climate proof housing with local materials. The housing competition paves way to engage the world in addressing these challenges.”

De Boeck added that the programme hopes to change mindsets and the way humanitarian intervention is perceived as it transits to durable solutions, a gradual shift from the norm.

He said: “We will be doing this in silos. This is a gradual shift from the norm, it looks at how we can move from dependency on humanitarian intervention intervention to sustainability.”

The project coordinator and International Consultant, IOM, Nicola D’addabro, revealed that the project is a process that will take some years to complete.

He said the project also looks at the globally evolving solutions and how to enable the people own the project by being engaged in the process.

IOM Project Manager, Shelter, Davies Okoko, who also spoke at the Presser, said “9, 000 people have transitioned from our camps and camp-like: settings and have settled into homes.

“Their needs are more focused now on heath and education. We have taken care of their immediate needs of housing and we are also providing livelihood. So housing, water and sanitary facilities are provided.

Arrangement for Building Permanent Shelters for IDPs in Northeast Concluded-IOM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Zulum Appoints Acting Chief of Staff, Assigns Portfolios to New Commissioners

Published

on

Zulum Appoints Acting Chief of Staff, Assigns Portfolios to New Commissioners

By: Michael Mike

Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum, has approved the appointment of Engr. Dr. Babagana Mustapha Mallumbe as the Acting Chief of Staff to the Governor as part of efforts to strengthen governance and accelerate policy implementation in the state.

A statement signed by the Secretary to the Borno State Government, Bukar Tijani, said Dr. Mallumbe, who previously served as Deputy Chief of Staff (DCOS I) to the Governor, would assume the new role with immediate effect.

The governor also approved the posting and allocation of portfolios to the 10 newly sworn-in commissioners, describing the move as part of broader efforts to enhance service delivery and drive the implementation of the administration’s 25-year Development Plan and 10-year Strategic Transformation Initiatives.

According to the statement, Barrister Hauwa Abubakar was appointed Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, while Hon. Bukar Mustapha Dalatu was assigned the Ministry of Budget and Planning.

Hon. Engr. Lawan Abba Wakilbe was posted to the Ministry of Education, Science, Technology and Innovation, while Hon. Umar Lawan Dalorima will oversee the Ministry of Finance and Economic Development.

Professor Baba Mallam Gana was named Commissioner for Health and Human Services, while Professor Usman A. Tar was assigned the Ministry of Information and Internal Security.

The statement further indicated that Hon. Sugun Mai Mele will head the Ministry of Local Government and Emirate Affairs, while Hon. Aliyu Mohammed Lawan Buba was posted to the Ministry of Transport and Energy.

Hajiya Zuwaira Gambo was appointed Commissioner for Women Affairs and Social Development, while Hon. Saina Buba will oversee the Ministry of Youths, Sports and Poverty Alleviation.

The government directed all the commissioners to assume duties in their respective ministries immediately.

The latest appointments come as the Zulum administration intensifies efforts to consolidate reforms in governance, infrastructure, education, healthcare, security coordination and economic recovery in the insurgency-affected state.

Zulum Appoints Acting Chief of Staff, Assigns Portfolios to New Commissioners

Continue Reading

News

Five Militants Killed in Attack Near Ayorou as Local Official Abducted in Niger Republic

Published

on

Five Militants Killed in Attack Near Ayorou as Local Official Abducted in Niger Republic

By: Zagazola Makama

At least five local militia members were killed following an attack by suspected Islamic State-linked gunmen in Seno village near Ayorou in Niger Republic’s Tillabéri region.

Local sources said the attack occurred at about 6:00 p.m. on May 17, 2026, when armed militants stormed the village, located approximately six kilometres from Ayorou, and targeted traders and local security volunteers operating in the area.

According to preliminary reports, at least five members of local self-defence groups engaged in securing the community were killed during the assault.

The incident came hours after the reported abduction of a local official identified as Moussa Koukou, said to be the perimeter manager of Diomana.

Sources disclosed that Koukou was kidnapped at about 11:00 a.m. while travelling in a Toyota RAV4 vehicle within the area.

Security sources believe the attack and abduction may be linked to ongoing activities of extremist groups affiliated with the Islamic State operating across the volatile Tillabéri region near the borders with Mali and Burkina Faso.

No official statement had been issued by Nigerien authorities as of the time of filing this report, while monitoring and security operations were said to be ongoing in the affected communities.

Five Militants Killed in Attack Near Ayorou as Local Official Abducted in Niger Republic

Continue Reading

News

Primaries: Aspirants protest imposition of Reps candidates in Adamawa

Published

on

Primaries: Aspirants protest imposition of Reps candidates in Adamawa

The Forum of House of Representatives Aspirants of Numan /Demsa/Lamurde Federal Constituency under the platform of All Progressives Congress (APC) in Adamawa has protested what it described as imposition of candidates in the just concluded primary elections in the state.

Speaking during the peaceful protest in Numan Local Government Area, Adamawa, Vrati Nzonzo, the spokesperson of the Forum said, the committee responsible for the conduct of the exercise and the party officials failed to abide by the rules of the game.

Nzonzo said the rules for electing candidates were through consensus or direct primaries but stressed that none of the rules were observed.

According to him, with what happened, their mandate was stolen and given to someone who did not deserve the candidacy.

“The election was supposed to be Consensus or Direct primaries but we opposed the consensus and there were no direct primaries across the Constituency”, he said.

PNzonzo called on the National Chairman APC and Governor Ahmadu Fintiri to ensure justice and fairness for the victory of the party else they threatened that they won’t vote for the party at the general elections.

Justina Nkon another aspirant also condemned the conduct of the primary election across the constituency.

According to her, the electorate were at the venue of the primaries from 8:00a.m and no officials showed up until 2:00 p.m and later on they said they had conducted the election without seeing any election materials.

She urged Fintiri to live up to the promise he made at the time of his campaign that he would not betray the people in the state.

“It’s now under your watch as the leader of the party we are witnessing the undemocratic process of primary elections by enforcing candidates who have not been elected by the people in the Constituency”, she said.

According to her, the so-called primary elections are unconstitutional, hence the need to conduct a free, fair and credible primary elections.

Usoko ken-Supule, another aspirant, demanded justice and fairness for every aspirant and for the progress of the party in the constituency, state and the country at large.
“We want justice for the progress of the party and without fairness there is no progress, therefore we are respectful party loyalists.

“We are not happy in view of what happened and we are disappointed; we are calling on the party leadership and the state governor to consider the plight of the masses”, he said.

Primaries: Aspirants protest imposition of Reps candidates in Adamawa

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights