Connect with us

News

At least 31 killed in Yatakala attack in Niger Republic

Published

on

At least 31 killed in Yatakala attack in Niger Republic

By: Zagazola Makama

No fewer than 31 persons have been killed following a deadly attack by suspected terrorists in Yatakala, Tillaberi Region of the Republic of Niger, near the tri-border area with Mali and Burkina Faso.

Sources told Zagazola Makama that the attack occurred on Jan. 18 in the Yatakala/Bolsi area of Tera Commune, where the assailants reportedly gathered residents together and opened fire on them.

The sources said that several other people, believed to be mostly women, were abducted during the attack, while five persons were injured as they tried to escape.

“They went from house to house, rounded people up and shot them. Those who managed to flee sustained injuries.

“Residents were rounded up and summarily executed, while an uncertain number mostly women, were abducted. At least 31 people were killed and five others injured as they fled,”one of the sources said.

The sources noted that Yatakala and surrounding villages toward the Burkinabe border had already been deserted by many inhabitants due to persistent attacks by armed groups.

No organisation had formally claimed responsibility for the latest atrocity, but the pattern and area of operation point strongly to Jama’at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimin (JNIM), the Al-Qaeda-linked group active across the Liptako-Gourma axis

The area had previously come under attack on Jan. 3, 2026, when Yatakala/Garoul was assaulted and about 17 soldiers were reportedly killed.

Zagazola report that the Tillaberi theatre is under sustained pressure. The enemy appears intent on clearing large swathes of territory, forcing communities to abandon their homes and creating humanitarian corridors of displacement that terrorists then exploit for further expansion.

The attacks also draws to the attention of the accelerating expansion of jihadist violence across the Sahel and its dangerous spillover implications for Nigeria and the wider West African sub-region.

The attack fits into a broader campaign by both Al-Qaeda- and ISIS-aligned factions to dominate borderlands, forest reserves and riverine routes, particularly around the W Park–Panjari complex, with a creeping approach toward Niamey.

The strategic objective was to degrade state presence, terrorise civilians into flight, and establish uncontested movement and recruitment zones.

Its draws parallels with past atrocities, including the January 2025 killings in Kasuwan Daji in Borgu area of Niger State, allegedly carried out by JNIM in collaboration with JAS/Ansaru networks, as well as recent mass abductions at worship centres in Kurmin Wali, Kajuru LGA, Kaduna State.

These are not isolated incidents. They form part of a synchronised regional campaign aimed at destabilisation, psychological dominance and narrative warfare.

Zagazola warned that beyond the kinetic dimension, insurgents were also leveraging disinformation, including the manipulation of religious and ethnic narratives, to internationalise their cause and weaken regional cohesion.

The humanitarian crisis generated by these attacks will push refugees and internally displaced persons toward north-west and north-central Nigeria, with attendant security, social and economic consequences.

Therefore, Nigeria’s response must go beyond internal counter-terrorism operations to include strengthened diplomatic and security cooperation with Niger, Benin and other frontline states.

Border challenges cannot be curbed unilaterally. There must be deeper intelligence sharing, coordinated patrols and joint operations. ECOWAS and the Alliance of Sahel States (AES) must urgently re-engage on collective security mechanisms to contain this expanding threat,” he said.

Yatakala massacre was both a warning and a call to action.

If proactive regional measures are not taken, the Sahelian conflict arc will continue to bend southward, with Nigeria increasingly in the line of fire.

At least 31 killed in Yatakala attack in Niger Republic

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau

Published

on

Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 6, Operation Enduring Peace have recovered a suspected stolen motorcycle following a pursuit of suspected motorcycle snatchers in Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau.

Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 6:30 p.m. on May 21 along the Bachi-Banghai road after troops received reports on the activities of suspected motorcycle snatchers in the area.

The sources said the troops immediately mobilised and pursued the suspects, who abandoned the motorcycle and fled upon sighting the security personnel.

According to the sources, the recovered motorcycle has been secured, while efforts were ongoing to identify the rightful owner and apprehend the fleeing suspects.

The military said the operation formed part of sustained efforts to combat criminal activities and enhance security across Plateau.

Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau

Continue Reading

News

Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau

Published

on

Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 1, Operation Enduring Peace have launched a rescue operation following the abduction of a resident in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau.

Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 11:00 p.m. on May 21 when gunmen reportedly abducted Mr Eze Emeka from his residence at Agingi village.

The sources said troops swiftly responded to the distress report and commenced rescue operations in collaboration with other security agencies.

According to the sources, efforts were ongoing to track down the kidnappers and secure the safe release of the victim.

The military assured residents that security forces were intensifying operations to curb criminal activities in the area.

Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau

Continue Reading

News

JNIM attack in Tillaberi signals deepening jihadist rivalry and expanding Sahel instability

Published

on

JNIM attack in Tillaberi signals deepening jihadist rivalry and expanding Sahel instability

By: Zagazola Makama

The reported deadly attack on a Nigerien Army engineering unit near Garbougna in the Tillaberi Region marks a significant escalation in the evolving security dynamics of western Niger and the wider Sahel.

With an estimated 67 soldiers and civilians reportedly killed and a military camp destroyed, the incident underscores both the intensity and increasing sophistication of militant operations in the region.

Beyond the immediate casualties, the attack is notable for its attribution to Jama’at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimin (JNIM), which swiftly claimed responsibility. Tillaberi have long been considered a stronghold of Islamic State in the Sahel (IS Sahel), suggesting a possible shift in operational influence or encroachment into contested territory.

The incident reflects an emerging pattern of geographic diffusion of jihadist violence across the Tera–Niamey corridor, an axis that has repeatedly come under pressure from armed groups. The corridor connects several vulnerable departments, including Tera, Torodi, Say and Ayorou, all of which have experienced repeated attacks in recent years.

The Garbougna attack also fits into a broader sequence of high-casualty operations across Niger since early 2026, including reported strikes near Niamey airport in January and Makalondi in February. These incidents collectively indicate sustained pressure on Nigerien security forces and an expanding operational reach of armed groups closer to strategic population centres.

Of particular concern is the apparent intensification of competition between IS Sahel and JNIM. While both groups have historically operated in overlapping zones, recent claims of responsibility and counter-claims suggest a more overt struggle for influence, recruitment, and territorial control. The reported clash between the two factions near Petel Kole earlier in the year further supports this assessment.

The implications of this rivalry are significant. Rather than reducing violence through competition, the fragmentation of jihadist groups in the Sahel has in some cases resulted in increased attacks, as factions seek to demonstrate operational strength and legitimacy.

At the same time, the weakening of state presence in rural and border communities is compounding the crisis. Reports of closed schools, non-functional health facilities, and inactive markets point to a gradual erosion of governance structures in affected areas. This vacuum continues to facilitate militant mobility and recruitment.

Another critical dimension is the increasing use of improvised explosive devices (IEDs), which has reportedly hindered post-attack clearance operations in the Garbougna area. Such tactics not only slow military response but also expand the risk zone for civilians and security forces alike.

Strategically, Tillaberi remains the epicentre of Niger’s insecurity challenges, given its proximity to the Mali and Burkina Faso border regions. The corridor’s proximity to Niamey raises additional concerns, particularly regarding potential spillover effects into the capital’s security perimeter.

The Garbougna attack, therefore, illustrates a convergence of three destabilising trends: escalating casualty levels, intensified jihadist competition, and shrinking state control in border regions. Taken together, these dynamics suggest a deteriorating security outlook for western Niger, with implications that extend beyond national boundaries into the wider Sahel security architecture.

JNIM attack in Tillaberi signals deepening jihadist rivalry and expanding Sahel instability

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights