Security

Bandits kill 15 soldiers, other security Operatives in Sokoto

Published

on

Bandits kill 15 soldiers, other security Operatives in Sokoto

Bandits allegedly attacked a joint military base code named “Burkusuma camp” in Sabon Birni Local Government Area of Sokoto State, northwest Nigeria killing 15.

NEWSng learnt that the base was located at Dama village of Sabon Birni Local Government Area.

The attack was said to have taken place in the early hours of Friday last week. But the military kept it and due to lack of network residents could not relate what was happening to Newsmen on time.

“The bandits, who came in large number, surrounded the camp and started firing from different directions,” A source said

A former Chairman of Sabon Birni LGA, Engr. Idris Muhammad Gobir, also confirmed the attack, said many security operatives in the camp were still missing.

The marauders also burnt down two patrol vehicles and carted away another one which was used to convey food items stolen from the villagers.

Also Read: Saraki Tasks Nigerian Pharmacists On Excellent Service…

Danchadi said that they received a report about the attack from a resident of the area who was using the Nigerien network.

It could be recalled that the mobile network around the area was shut down to give room for further operations by security agencies.

“But I will still contact him for more updates and get back to you,” he assured.

Also a prominent traditional ruler in the area confirmed that some vehicles were sent to evacuate corpses of soldiers.

He said: “Over 10 trucks loaded with well-armed soldiers are currently in the forest trailing the bandits.”

Personnel of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, who sought anonymity, confirmed that three of their operatives were among the casualties.

“As I am talking to you, we are at the morgue to claim and recover their corpses for burial,” he said.

It was learnt that the bandits also attacked Katsira village and shot four persons.

Two of the victims were said to have died instantly, while the other two are receiving treatment at the undisclosed hospital.

The bandits were also said to have whisked away three persons from the village.

The spokesman of the 8 Division of the Nigerian Army, Major Yahaya Ngulde, could not comment on the issue, but directed that the Director Defence Media Operations, Brigadier General Benjamin Onyeoku be contacted.

However, the General did not pick calls or respond to a text message sent by Newsmen.

Similarly, the Public Relations Officer of the Sokoto State Police Command, ASP Sanusi Abubakar, said he was not aware of the attack.

But the Sokoto State Commissioner for Security Matters, Colonel Garba Moyi (rtd), confirmed the attack on the military base, he said he was not however aware of the number of casualties.

Bandits kill 15 soldiers, other security Operatives in Sokoto

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending

Exit mobile version