News
Benue killings: Journalist raises alarm over threat to life
Benue killings: Journalist raises alarm over threat to life
By: Michael Mike
A journalist with Vanguard Newspaper, Ms Victoria Ojeme has appealed to the authorities to protect her from the “hands of faceless, unscrupulous and callous individuals” who have continued to send threat messages to her over the alarm she raised about the senseless killing of her kinsmen in a bloody communal crisis.
Ojeme had in February this year raised an alarm over the crisis in her community following the bloody clashes between the people of Mbarvu and Mbasombo communities in Gwer East Local Government Area of Benue state claimed the lives of many including those of her loved ones.
According to her, among those killed in one of the attacks was her Aunt, the only surviving woman in her father’s house.
She had called for an end to the senseless crisis which had led to the sacking of communities and displacement of the people from their ancestral homes over disputed farmlands.
She said some faceless persons have not been comfortable with her outburst and outcry and have been sending threat massages to her.
Ojeme, in a statement in Abuja on Wednesday, said she had already reported the matter to the police, after an unknown person sent her a message in her place of residence in Abuja, that she should know that they were aware of where she lives and that they were coming for her soon.
She lamented that: “I no longer feel safe living in my home in Abuja and even in the country; some criminal elements have on few occasions sent verbal messages through people I did not know, that I am being watched.”
She called on the authorities to investigate the ongoing killings in her hometown, adding that from there, they might trace the people threatening her life.
She said the threats to her life heightened immediately after the story of the atrocities in her hometown of Benue was published.
She said that she only raised the alarm in order to have the relevant authorities sit up to their responsibilities to end the carnage going on in her community and also have the displaced persons return to the ancestral homes.
Ojeme added that: “But what I get in return are threats to my life for daring to speak out which has left me vulnerable to attack by unknown persons who drop threat massages for me even in front of my residence.”
Benue killings: Journalist raises alarm over threat to life
News
NIMC Pushes Digital Identity Reforms to Boost Service Delivery, Security
NIMC Pushes Digital Identity Reforms to Boost Service Delivery, Security
By: Michael Mike
The National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) has reaffirmed its commitment to strengthening Nigeria’s Digital Public Infrastructure (DPI) through the deployment of secure digital identity systems aimed at improving governance, enhancing national security, and expanding access to public services.
Speaking at a digital conference in Abuja themed “Building Africa’s Digital Foundations Together,” the Director-General and Chief Executive Officer of NIMC, Abisoye Coker-Odusote, represented by the Head of Infrastructure Technology and Identity Databases, Mr. Sulaiman Falade, said the commission is driving reforms and institutional partnerships to build an inclusive and interoperable digital identity ecosystem.
According to her, the National Identification Number (NIN) has become central to Nigeria’s digital transformation agenda, serving as a key tool for identity verification, biometric authentication, and access to both government and private sector services.
She noted that following the Presidential Directive issued on April 5, 2024, Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) were mandated to integrate the NIN into digital services, particularly in areas involving data capture, identity verification, and authentication processes.
Coker-Odusote stated that NIMC has already established implementation structures to ensure compliance with the directive and to deepen the adoption of digital identity solutions across the country.
She further stressed that the Federal Government’s vision is to establish a unified, secure, and transparent digital identity framework capable of supporting efficient service delivery and accountability in governance.
The NIMC boss added that the commission is also advancing Nigeria’s broader digital governance goals through the deployment of the National Public Key Infrastructure (nPKI), a system designed to strengthen trust in digital transactions, safeguard citizens’ data, and promote secure online interactions.
She called on stakeholders in both the public and private sectors to continue supporting the implementation of Nigeria’s digital identity ecosystem, noting that the initiative is critical to national development and economic growth.
According to her, NIMC remains committed to leveraging technology and innovation to build a more connected, efficient, and resilient nation.
NIMC Pushes Digital Identity Reforms to Boost Service Delivery, Security
News
Tinubu Sweeps Zulum’s Ward with 100% Votes in APC Presidential Primary
Tinubu Sweeps Zulum’s Ward with 100% Votes in APC Presidential Primary
By: Michael Mike
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu recorded a landslide victory in the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential primary election in Mafa Ward of Borno State, securing all valid votes cast in the exercise held in the home ward of Governor Babagana Umara Zulum.
The direct primary election took place at Mafa Central Primary School under the supervision of the Chairperson of the Presidential Primary Election Committee, Hajiya Inna Alkali Imam.
According to the results announced at the ward level, Tinubu polled 2,175 votes, representing 100 per cent of the valid votes cast during the exercise. Out of the 2,277 registered APC members in the ward, 2,175 were accredited and participated in the voting process.
Tinubu’s challenger, Stanley Osifo, an APC chieftain and businessman from Edo State, failed to secure any vote in the ward.
Governor Zulum, who served as the Coordinator and Collation Officer for the presidential primary in the state, said he participated in the exercise as an indigene of Mafa Ward.
“I am from Mafa Ward, and that is why I am here to witness and participate in the exercise. We have two candidates, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Mr Stanley Osifo,” Zulum stated.
The governor also commended the peaceful conduct of the exercise and the turnout of party members.
“So far so good, we have conducted the presidential primary election for Mafa Ward, and I am very impressed with the turnout. We have a total of about 2,277 registered party members in Mafa Ward, out of which 2,175 were accredited for the voting, and all of them voted for President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, while the other candidate scored zero,” he said.
The APC presidential primary is ongoing in several states across the country, with the party expected to collate and announce final nationwide results at a later date.
Tinubu Sweeps Zulum’s Ward with 100% Votes in APC Presidential Primary
News
I Remember At Age Of 8,General Gowon Would Send Hand Written Letter To Yusuf Signed Uncle Joe-Sanusi
I Remember At Age Of 8,General Gowon Would Send Hand Written Letter To Yusuf Signed Uncle Joe-Sanusi
By: Our Reporter
The 16th Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, has recounted a touching childhood memory about former Nigerian Head of State Yakubu Gowon, portraying him as a compassionate leader who extended personal support to the family of a military officer killed during the 1966 coup.
Speaking during an interview on Signature TV, Sanusi reflected on his early years at St Anne’s Secondary School in Kaduna, where he attended school alongside Yusuf Pam, the son of the late Colonel Joseph Pam, one of the victims of the January 1966 Nigerian coup.
The former governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria recalled that despite the demands of national leadership, Gowon took a personal interest in the wellbeing of Yusuf following the loss of his father. According to Sanusi, the former Head of State frequently sent handwritten letters to the young boy, signing them “Uncle Joe.”
“What I remember at the age of eight was that General Gowon, as Head of State, would send a handwritten letter to Yusuf signed ‘Uncle Joe.’ That is a window into the person you are dealing with,” Sanusi said.
The Emir noted that the gesture has remained vivid in his memory over the years because it revealed a caring and humane side of leadership during one of the most turbulent periods in Nigeria’s history. He suggested that Gowon’s actions reflected empathy and a sense of responsibility toward families affected by the political upheaval of the time.
Colonel Pam was among several prominent figures who lost their lives during the 1966 coup, a pivotal event that reshaped Nigeria’s political landscape and contributed to years of instability and conflict that followed.
I Remember At Age Of 8,General Gowon Would Send Hand Written Letter To Yusuf Signed Uncle Joe-Sanusi
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Politics12 months ago2027: Why Hon. Midala Balami Must Go, as Youths in Hawul and Asikira/Uba Federal Constituency Reject ₦500,000 as Sallah Gift
