Security
Boko Haram: Day Terrorists Abduct IRC Staff, Others in Monguno
Boko Haram: Day Terrorists Abduct IRC Staff, Others in Monguno
By: James Bwala
Hundreds of humanitarian workers were shocked and frightened with the report last week of the abduction of a staff of International Rescue Committee, IRC and three other security personnel attached to the staff quarters in Monguno town, northeast Nigeria.
Many questions were asked regarding the security arrangements put in place by the organization. The incident happened around 3:00 am. It was therefore an incident begging for answers as to how the terrorists made their way to the staff quarters and pick only one staff – a Manager.
Also Read: ECOWAS develops National Strategy to enhance protection,…
No one has the answer yet because he was taken alongside the local security on guard at the staff quarters. There was also no sound of a gunshot when this incident happened to suggest a forceful entry.
Aid Workers, who spoke to NEWSng on this sad event stand could not say whether this was a coincident or targeted abduction. Monguno is well secure going by security reports with the presence of all forms of security operatives on operations. Since last week when this incident occurred there have been no reports on which group is responsible for the abduction. Aside from the internal security exposition on the matter, the IRC had not made any public announcement on the abduction of its staff.
Being a former journalist, however, rumour mills soon filter about the occurrence and journalists also are seeking explanation about how it happened in a place like Monguno where it was said to be a security tight environment.
This similar situation recently took place at Fotokol, where three Expatriates were reportedly abducted and to this day, there was no news of their whereabouts. Fotokol is a town and commune in Logone-et-Chari Department, Far North Region, Cameroon. It is home to Fotokol High School. The town is about 300 metres across a small river from the Nigerian village of Gamboru.
More disturbing is the style in which these humanitarian workers were being abducted. And unlike the usual way as in the past where at least a video of the victims are sent out a day or two after such an incident, there are no video to know the proof of life and those responsible for the atrocious crime against innocent persons such as humanitarian workers, who are neutral to the ongoing conflict in the northeast, Nigeria.
Humanitarian workers, who spoke to NEWSng said that there are crises ranging from lack of enough food for IDPs as well as a policy by the Borno state government stopping NGOs from providing food for the displaced persons. According to them, this situation has further given birth to a high rate of crime among the Internally Displaced Persons, IDPs and that there are possibilities for them to get involved with the insurgents.
Speaking on Monday, a staff of f one of the organization said they are yet to know whether the abduction of the IRC staff and others were carried out by ISWAP or members of the late Shekau’s faction of the terrorists group. According to him, there are no signs that the abductors force their way into the compound that house the IRC staff Quarters. Adding that there are also no signs that they break into the room to bundle the staff.
NEWSng reports that, if that is the case of a coincidence, why would the gate at that time of the night be still open when staff are there on assignments? If perhaps it was a target, why had the attackers not opened other doors in the building to be sure of their target? Unless of course, if they know him and someone leads them to his room, if he had been taken from inside his room or unless at that time of the night he decided to be outside and was taken in that manner.
A staff member also said that there are rumours that the NGO staff may not have been abducted by either group but some criminal elements are acting in order to confuse people and get attention.
“I am not saying this is correct however, but lack of food here in Monguno has push a lot of IDPs into disguising as terrorists to commit. There are 12 IDP camps currently in Monguno with thousands of displaced persons seeking humanitarian assistance. Criminals can easily get guns to perpetrate their evils.
“Why we are not immediately suspecting either group of the terrorists is because this thing happened within town. It has never happened like this. Most of the time people are being abducted on the road but this one they were in their house when the attackers came. Our confusion is that where were the security operatives when this was happening?” He said.
Also Read: Drug Scandal: Wife Of Abba Kyari Slumps In Court
Another aid worker said he believed the terrorists that abducted the IRC staff and other humanitarian workers in Monguno are either members of the ISWAP or JAS group.
According to him, it is not as if the town is well protected that these elements cannot penetrate to commit crime.
“It is only God that has been saving us here. We are constantly living in fear since the incident last week. In fact, we are weak because this incident happened within town. Forget about what the organisations are saying. We should pray for their safe return because this is not the first time aid workers are abducted.
“Ours is to pray because there is nothing these organisations are doing when it comes to issues of local staff. We are doing this work because there are no jobs.” He said.
Boko Haram: Day Terrorists Abduct IRC Staff, Others in Monguno