Connect with us

National News

Borno PDP alleges APC sponsoring thuggery, electoral violence ahead of polls

Published

on

2023: PDP Reschedules National Caucus, NEC, BOT Meetings For Wednesday

Borno PDP alleges APC sponsoring thuggery, electoral violence ahead of polls

…… Is not true, Says APC Legal Adviser

By: Our Reporter

The Gubernatorial and Legislators Campaign Council of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) in Borno State has alleged that the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC is instigating electoral violence by sponsoring political thugs to disrupt the forthcoming general elections, despite the peace accord earlier signed by all political parties in the state.

This wild allegation was disclosed in a three- page Press statement signed by the

Legal Adviser, PDP Gubernatorial and Legislators Campaign Council, Barrister Kashim Mustapha Haruna, which was made available to our Correspondent in Maiduguri on Sunday.

Barely two weeks ago, similar allegations were levelled against the ruling APC by the New Nigeria People’s Party, NNPP leadership that it’s campaign billboards and posters were destroyed in strategic locations across the state.

But in a swift reaction to the allegations, the Borno APC Legal Adviser, Barrister Baba Shehu Zanna said, PDP in the state is doing everything possible to incite members of the general public, as it has became glaringly clear that all PDP candidates would not win any elective position in the forthcoming general elections slated to take place in all the 27 local government areas of the state.

Barrister Zanna said, it is even unfortunate that the same PDP which sponsored some political thugs to destroy APC political campaign structures, such as APC posters and billboards in Bama local government area last week, is concocting lies against the ruling party under the leadership of governor Babagana Zulum.

The PDP’s statement reads: “We wish to bring to the attention of the general public the unfortunate actions of thuggery and violence that is continuously being perpetrated by the APC against the legitimate and peaceful campaigns of the PDP in Borno State. 

“On Sunday, 12th February, 2023, the convoy of the PDP comprising the Gubernatorial and other candidates of the party was attacked by sponsored thugs of the APC in Gwange I, II & III wards of Maiduguri, injured many PDP supporters and vandalized an uncountable number of vehicles in the convoy.

READ ALSO: https://newsng.ng/of-zulum-and-2023-the-usual-drama-as-election-year-returns-in-borno/

“Equally, on Tuesday, 14th February, 2023, the campaign rally of the party was disrupted and attacked by the same sponsored thugs of the APC in Bolori II ward of Maiduguri, as a result of which several party supporters sustained various degrees of injuries and more than 10 vehicles were vandalized by the APC thugs.

“The general public may wish to recollect the Peace Accord signed by all political parties inclusive of the APC, under the auspices of the General Abdulsalam Abubakar Peace Committee, where all parties agreed to undertake their campaigns peacefully and not to attack the campaigns of other political parties. 

“However, the APC in Borno State has never respected the Accord, which is clear from their actions when they attacked the convoy of the PDP Presidential Candidate, Atiku Abubakar GCON during his visit to Maiduguri on his Presidential Campaign Tour of Borno State. Since then the APC in Borno has continued to attack PDP supporters and burnt offices and flags of the party across the state. 

“During the campaign tour of the APC Senatorial candidate for Borno Central Senatorial District, one Kaka Shehu Lawan, thugs in his convoy attacked and burnt PDP offices, flags and other assets in Bama and Ngala Local Governments. Eye witnesses have confirmed that the attacks were carried out jointly by members of the Civilian JTF in Kaka Shehu’s convoy in association with the APC thugs. We have reported these attacks to the security agencies in Borno State but no action has been taken yet.” Barrister Haruna lamented.

Continuing: “It is worthy of note that the Inspector General of Police (IGP) has banned all vigilante organizations such as the Borno state Civilian JTF from participating in political campaigns and election activities. The Civilian JTF in Borno State is still being used by the APC candidates such as Kaka Shehu Lawan and the Governor of Borno State, Prof Babagana Umara Zulum in their campaigns, in outright violation of the IGP’s directive.

“On Friday, January 27th the PDP campaign rally in Mafa Local Government was attacked by APC thugs. We reported the incident to the police authorities, but no single APC thug was arrested nor prosecuted. All these incidences occurred within the Borno Central Senatorial District where Kaka Shehu Lawan who has been the coordinator of the Civilian JTF in Borno State is contesting for the Borno Central Senate seat. 

“We call on the security agencies to apprehend all perpetrators of the incidences of violence and specifically invite the APC Borno Central Senatorial Candidate, Kaka Shehu Lawan for interrogation in order to establish his role in these acts of violence. 

“Only yesterday, the APC thugs in the convoy of Prof. Babagana Umara Zulum burnt one of our offices in Konduga local government area as they were passing through the town. 

“All the incidences of attacks on our supporters and arson committed against PDP assets by the APC in Borno State have been brought to the notice of the security agencies and our party and supporters are still awaiting the actions to be taken by the security agents. 

“We wish to specifically state that the Borno State Police Command under the leadership of CP Abdu Umar has failed the PDP as no single action has been taken to apprehend and prosecute the perpetrators of these crimes, including the attack on the convoy of the Presidential Candidate, Atiku Abubakar.

“We call on the Governor of Borno State, Prof Babagana Umara Zulum who is the leader of the APC in the State to call his party thugs to order and to respect the directive of the IGP not to use the Civilian CTF in their political campaigns and in the elections proper.

“We also wish to also call the attention of the AIG Zone 15, in charge of Borno State Yahaya Abubakar and the new Commissioner of Police posted to Borno State Haruna G. Garba to investigate these crimes and prosecute all the culprits. 

“We also call on them to ensure that the elections of 25th February and 11th March 2023 are free of violence and thuggery as we unfortunately witnessed during the campaigns.

Thank you and remain blessed.” The statement concluded.

Meanwhile, the APC Legal Adviser , Barrister Baba Shehu Zanna disclosed that the allegations levelled against the ruling party by the opposition PDP Gubernatorial and Legislators Campaign Council is baseless, unfounded and far from the truth.

“The allegations levelled against our Party  by the opposition PDP Gubernatorial and Legislators Campaign Council is baseless, unfounded and far from the truth.

Mr. Haruna’s  allegations is just a figment of his own imagination. This is not the first time the failing PDP has been making such allegations and writing frivolous petitions against our party but to no avail, because all their allegations and petitions were investigated by relevant security agencies, and were found to be false. 

“The APC under the leadership of governor Babagana Zulum has zero- tolerance for thuggery. The PDP is intimidated by the humongous crowd that came out to welcome our Presidential Candidate and his running mate, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Senator Kashim Shettima last Saturday 18th, February, 2023 at the Elkanemi sport Centre and other locations in Maiduguri, which forced them to ran made.

“It is even unfortunate that the same PDP which sponsored some political thugs to destroy our political campaign structures such as APC posters and billboards in Bama local government area last week, is concocting lies against our ruling party under the leadership of governor Babagana Zulum.

“The APC in Borno therefore demand with immediate effect from the security agencies to arrest and investigate Mr. Haruna for volunteering with false information capable of leading to break down of law and order in the state.

“The Civilian Joint Task Force has no hand in any thuggery whatsoever as alleged by Mr. Haruna and his PDP who have benefited from the fragile peace brought by the CJTF across nooks and crannies of Borno. 

Borno PDP alleges APC sponsoring thuggery, electoral violence ahead of polls

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

UNILORIN Alumni Commences Tinubu on Appointment of Nandap, Omotowa, Aribisala

Published

on

UNILORIN Alumni Commences Tinubu on Appointment of Nandap, Omotowa, Aribisala

By: Michael Mike

The National Headquarters of University of Ilorin Alumni Association has lauded President Bola Tinubu for appointing three of its members into various leadership positions in the country.

Those appointed were Comptroller General of Immigration, Mrs Kemi Nandap,, whose tenure was elongated till December 2026, Non Executive Director of NNPC, representing North Central, Mr Babs Omotowa- and the Pioneer Vice Chancellor of Federal University of Technology and Environmental Sciences, Iyin-Ekiti, Prof. James A. Aribisala.

In a congratulatory message to the trio, the National President, Prof. AbdulRasaq Kilani, and the National Secretary, Dr Barakat Raji, said the Association received the news of the appointments with excitement.

The Alumni, who commended President Tinubu for selecting the best for their various positions, assured him that the three alumni would not disappoint him in attaining the goals set for them to achieve.

While felicitating with the appointed members on their well-deserved appointment, the Association charged them to always show the excellence in them in surpassing the targets set for them by Mr President.

The Association who extolled the pedigrees of the appointed members in their various fields, implored them to live up to the expectations of the slogan of the institutions “better by far” in all ramifications.

The Alumni then prayed for their successful tenure and tasked them not to hesitate to reach out to them whenever their services are needed in any capacity towards national development.

UNILORIN Alumni Commences Tinubu on Appointment of Nandap, Omotowa, Aribisala

Continue Reading

National News

President Tinubu reconstitute NNPC Board, remove Kyari Mele

Published

on

President Tinubu reconstitute NNPC Board, remove Kyari Mele

By: Our Reporter

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has approved a sweeping reconstitution of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited board, removing the chairman, Chief Pius Akinyelure and the group chief executive officer, Mallam Mele Kolo Kyari.

In a statement signed by Bayo Onanuga,
Special Adviser to the President (Information & Strategy), President Tinubu removed all other board members appointed with Akinyelure and Kyari in November 2023.

The new 11-man board has Engineer Bashir Bayo Ojulari as the Group CEO and Ahmadu Musa Kida as non-executive chairman.

Adedapo Segun, who replaced Umaru Isa Ajiya as the chief financial officer last November, has been appointed to the new board by President Tinubu.

Six board members, non-executive directors, represent the country’s geopolitical zones. They are Bello Rabiu, North West, Yusuf Usman, North East, and Babs Omotowa, a former managing director of the Nigerian Liquified Natural Gas( NLNG), who represents North Central.

President Tinubu appointed Austin Avuru as a non-executive director from the South-South, David Ige as a Non-executive director from the South West, and Henry Obih as a non-executive director from the South East.

Mrs Lydia Shehu Jafiya, permanent secretary of the Federal Ministry of Finance, will represent the ministry on the new board, while Aminu Said Ahmed will represent the Ministry of Petroleum Resources.

All the appointments are effective today, April 2.

President Tinubu, invoking the powers granted under Section 59, subsection 2 of the Petroleum Industry Act, 2021, emphasised that the board’s restructuring is crucial for enhancing operational efficiency, restoring investor confidence, boosting local content, driving economic growth, and advancing gas commercialisation and diversification.

President Tinubu also handed out an immediate action plan to the new board: to conduct a strategic portfolio review of NNPC-operated and Joint Venture Assets to ensure alignment with value maximisation objectives.

Since 2023, the Tinubu administration has implemented oil sector reforms to attract investment. Last year, NNPC reported $17 billion in new investments within the sector. The administration now envisions increasing the investment to $30 billion by 2027 and $60 billion by 2030.

The Tinubu administration targets raising oil production to two million barrels daily by 2027 and three million daily by 2030. Concurrently, the government wants gas production jacked to 8 billion cubic feet daily by 2027 and 10 billion cubic feet by 2030.

Furthermore, President Tinubu expects the new board to elevate NNPC’s share of crude oil refining output to 200,000 barrels by 2027 and reach 500,000 by 2030.

The new board chairman, Ahmadu Musa Kida, is from Borno State. He is an alumnus of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, where he received a degree in civil engineering in 1984. He also obtained a postgraduate diploma in petroleum engineering from the Institut Francaise du Petrol (IFP) in Paris

He started his career in the oil industry at Elf Petroleum Nigeria and later joined Total Exploration and Production as a trainee engineer in 1985.

Musa became Total Nigeria’s Deputy Managing Director of Deep Water Services in 2015. Last year, he became an Independent Non-Executive Director at Pan Ocean-Newcross Group.

Apart from his oil industry career, Ahmadu Musa Kida is a former basketballer and the president of the Nigerian Basketball Federation(NBBF) board.

Ojulari, the new NNPC Limited Group CEO, hails from Kwara State. Until his new appointment, He was Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of Renaissance Africa Energy Company. His Renaissance recently led a consortium of indigenous energy firms in the landmark acquisition of the entire equity holding in the Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria (SPDC), worth $2.4 billion.

Like Kida, Ojulari is also an alumnus of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria. He graduated with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. He worked for Elf Aquitaine as the first Nigerian process engineer to begin a stellar career in the oil sector. From Elf, he joined Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Ltd in 1991 as an associate production technologist.

Apart from working in Nigeria, he worked in Europe and the Middle East in different capacities as a petroleum process and production engineer, strategic planner, field developer, and asset manager. In 2015, he became the managing director of Shell Nigeria Exploration and Production Company (SNEPCO).

During his career, he was chairman and member of the board of trustees of the Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE Nigerian Council) and a fellow of the Nigerian Society of Engineers.

President Tinubu thanked the old board members for their dedicated service to NNPC Limited, particularly their efforts in rehabilitating the old Port Harcourt and Warri refineries, which enabled them to resume petroleum product production after prolonged shutdowns. He wished them well in their future endeavours.

President Tinubu reconstitute NNPC Board, remove Kyari Mele

Continue Reading

National News

Uromi Killing: NHRC Demands Protection for All Nigerians

Published

on

Uromi Killing: NHRC Demands Protection for All Nigerians

The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has condemned the recent gruesome killing of 16 traveling hunters in Edo State, who were mistook for kidnappers.

The Executive Secretary of the Commission Dr. Tony Ojukwu expressed deep concern over the horrific incident, which highlights the dangers of mob justice and the urgent need for effective law enforcement and respect for human rights.

He said: “We commend Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, for his swift and decisive action in suspending the Commander of the Edo State Security Corps, CP Friday Ibadin (Rtd.), and banning all illegal vigilante groups operating in the state, but more need to be done.”

Ojukwu said the Commission wishes to use this opportunity to remind the government and the people of Nigeria that every individual has the right to life, as enshrined in Chapter 4 of the 1999 Constitution as amended as well as Article 4 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights and Article 6 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.

He equally said the Commission emphasized that the freedom of movement, as guaranteed by the Constitution and Article 12 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights and Article 12 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, has been grossly violated in this dastardly incident.

Ojukwu said: “We at the Commission demand that all the perpetrators be fished out and brought to justice. We call on the government to take concrete steps to prevent such incidents in the future, there is no justification for jungle justice anywhere in the world.”

He emphasized that every Nigerian has the right to life, dignity, and freedom from violence, regardless of their ethnicity, religion, or occupation, assuring that the Commission will continue to advocate for the protection of human rights and the rule of law in Nigeria.

Ojukwu said: “We urge the Edo State Government to continue its investigation into the killings and ensure that all perpetrators face the full wrath of the law. On our part, we will continue to monitor the process of investigation to ensure that justice is served. This will serve as a deterrent to others.

“Promotion and protection of human rights is paramount to national development, let’s all imbibe the culture of respect for human rights and fundamental freedom to make Nigeria a better place.”

Uromi Killing: NHRC Demands Protection for All Nigerians

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights