Connect with us

News

Borno Speaker, other lawmakers salute VP Shettima @ 58

Published

on

Borno Speaker, other lawmakers salute VP Shettima @ 58

By Salihu Inusa

The Speaker of Borno State House of Assembly (BOSHA), Rt. Hon. Abdulkarim Lawan and other Lawmakers have felicitates with Vice President of the federal republic of Nigeria, Senator Kashim Shettima as he marks his 58th birthday celebration on 2nd September, 2024.

The Lawmakers in a glowing tribute eulogized the number two citizen for his natural attributes, courage, passion and determination to ensure his Boss, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu actualize his Renewed Hope Agenda to all Nigerians and those in diaspora.

In a press statement signed by the Speaker, Rt. Hon. Abdulkarim Lawan on Monday in Maiduguri, the Lawmakers described Shettima “as a visionary leader who transcends human comprehension.

“It is indeed with no doubt that VP Shettima is a de-tribalized leader, which could be attest to the fact that most of his aides, friends and associates are more of another tribe than his own tribe (Kanuri).

“The Borno State House of Assembly members, management and staff took the opportunity as a honor to join your family, friends and well -wishers, to celebrate with you as you clock 58 years old.
“From your days as Borno state Governor to Senator and now as VP, your stories have been exceptional examples of perseverance with patience, moving up the ladder with grace and humility, managing people with wisdom, and above all, living with a large, open and welcoming heart -very typical of strong and great man.

“Your courage and consistency stand you out as an inspiration, role model, patriot and great nationalist. It is our prayer that Allah (God) Almighty will continue to uphold you as you continue to serve the good people of Nigeria with determination and honesty.

“We are proud to associate with your leadership qualities and pray for your good health, long life and prosperity, as we all navigate towards achieving the desired transformation and the Renewed Hope Agenda of Mr. President”. The Speaker concluded.

Borno Speaker, other lawmakers salute VP Shettima @ 58

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

European Union Commits €22m to Accelerate Nigeria’s Fibre Network Under BRIDGE Project

Published

on

European Union Commits €22m to Accelerate Nigeria’s Fibre Network Under BRIDGE Project

By: Michael Mike

The European Union has pledged €22 million in grant funding to support Nigeria’s large-scale fibre-optic expansion, reinforcing the Federal Government’s drive to transform the country’s digital backbone.

The grant, announced in Abuja on Wednesday, will be channelled through the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) and on-granted to the Federal Ministry of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy for implementation of the government’s Project BRIDGE initiative.

The EU funding will sit alongside an €86 million loan from the EBRD’s own resources, pending final approval. The operation represents the EBRD’s first major sovereign financing in Nigeria since the country formally became a shareholder of the bank last year.

Minister of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy, Bosun Tijjani described the agreement as a decisive step toward delivering the BRIDGE project within schedule, noting that Nigeria’s digital transformation agenda depends heavily on robust and inclusive broadband infrastructure.

He said the partnership reflects growing confidence in Nigeria’s digital roadmap and expressed optimism that 2026 would mark a year of tangible progress in cooperation between Nigeria and the EU.

EBRD President, Odile Renaud-Basso, who is on an official visit to Nigeria, said the bank was proud to collaborate with the EU to expand digital infrastructure in Africa’s largest economy. She noted that the technical cooperation embedded in the financing is structured to crowd in private capital while ensuring secure, resilient and inclusive connectivity.

EU Ambassador to Nigeria, Gautier Mignot, underscored the strategic importance of digital networks to both Nigeria and the EU, stressing the need for trusted, high-integrity infrastructure built to international standards.

Project BRIDGE aims to deploy 90,000 kilometres of fibre-optic cables nationwide through a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) that will be capitalised with sovereign loans and private sector participation. In addition to the EBRD financing, the Federal Government is expected to receive support from the World Bank and the African Development Bank.

The EU’s €22 million package combines technical assistance with investment support to speed up project preparation and strengthen implementation capacity. It will fund low-level design work for about 40,000 kilometres of the planned network, including route mapping, crossing surveys, digital planning, quality assurance and security risk assessments aligned with global best practices.

Officials said this groundwork would provide the SPV with a ready-to-execute blueprint, enabling immediate rollout once financing arrangements are finalised and the vehicle is established with at least 51 per cent private sector ownership.

Beyond infrastructure, the grant is expected to deepen Nigeria’s digital skills base. About 2,000 technicians will receive specialised training, while small subcontractors will gain access to pooled procurement systems and equipment subsidies designed to reduce entry barriers.

Authorities estimate that these measures could lower deployment costs by between 20 and 30 per cent, while promoting adherence to Nigerian and EU quality standards and encouraging participation of European technology suppliers in the fibre supply chain.

The intervention forms part of the EU’s broader Global Gateway strategy, which supports investments in digital infrastructure, public services and human capital development across partner countries.

For Nigeria, the partnership signals renewed international backing for its ambition to build a resilient, open-access broadband network capable of driving economic growth, innovation and digital inclusion nationwide.

European Union Commits €22m to Accelerate Nigeria’s Fibre Network Under BRIDGE Project

Continue Reading

News

Troops repel insurgents, neutralise suspected informant in Borno

Published

on

Troops repel insurgents, neutralise suspected informant in Borno

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Operation Hadin Kai have repelled suspected insurgents and neutralised a suspected informant during operations in Ngamdu area of Borno.

Military sources said the action followed signals intelligence indicating that suspected Boko Haram elements were massing.

At about 2:30 a.m. on Feb. 18, troops carried out a fire mission on the identified area, forcing the insurgents to disperse and abort their suspected plan.

Shortly afterward, at about 3:45 a.m., troops engaged and neutralised a suspected insurgent informant who attempted to breach the trench defensive position in Ngamdu.

Sources said the troops immediately conducted a search of the surrounding area after the encounter but made no further contact with fleeing suspects.

Troops repel insurgents, neutralise suspected informant in Borno

Continue Reading

News

Yobe: Troops Disperse Terrorists, Arrest Five Suspected Arms Smugglers

Published

on

Yobe: Troops Disperse Terrorists, Arrest Five Suspected Arms Smugglers

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Operation Hadin Kai have disrupted a suspected terrorist gathering and arrested five suspected arms smugglers during separate operations in Yobe State.

Security sources said that at about 6:21 p.m. on Feb. 17, troops conducted a fire mission following credible intelligence that terrorists were converging in large numbers on motorcycles at Mangari, about 10.6 kilometres from the location of the 135 Special Forces Battalion in Buratai.

The swift action forced the insurgents to disperse in disarray, effectively disrupting their suspected plans.

In a separate development, troops of the Forward Operating Base (FOB) Potiskum apprehended five suspected arms smugglers and abductors at about 4:30 a.m. on Feb. 18 at a checkpoint along the Gombe–Potiskum road.

Those arrested included a 41-year-old suspect, Baba Abare, who was found in possession of an AK-47 rifle, alongside four others identified as Idris Zakari, 33; Nasiru Aliyu, 25; Abdullahi Sulaiman, 35; and Mohammed Idris, 34, all said to be indigenes of Potiskum town.

The suspects were intercepted in two Golf Wagon vehicles bearing registration numbers Borno NGL-506XA and Kaduna DKD16-01.

They were disarmed and handed over to appropriate authorities for further investigation.

Yobe: Troops Disperse Terrorists, Arrest Five Suspected Arms Smugglers

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights