News
Borno State Government Pays N494 Million for 2024 SSCE Fees for Public School Students
Borno State Government Pays N494 Million for 2024 SSCE Fees for Public School Students
…Zulum orders completion of permanent NECO office.
By: Our Reporter
In a significant stride towards educational equity, the Borno State Government has announced the payment of N493.9 million to cover the 2024 Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSCE) fees for 25,075 students in public schools.
The Honourable Commissioner of Education, Science, Technology, and Innovation, Hon. Engr. Lawan Abba Wakilbe, made the announcement on Friday during a disbursement ceremony. He emphasized the government’s ongoing commitment to making education accessible to all, underscoring that the initiative subsidizes the exam fees by 75%, thus alleviating the financial burden on students and their families.

For the 2024 academic year, the state government will contribute N326.7 million, while the 27 Local Government Areas will provide a combined total of N167.2 million, paid directly to the National Examinations Council (NECO). This payment is part of a larger effort by the Borno State Government, which has invested over N1 billion this year alone to cover the costs of both the May/June and June/July WASSCE and SSCE exams.
Since the beginning of Governor Prof. Babagana Umara Zulum’s administration in 2019, the state has spent a total of N4.1 billion on examination fees for 138,438 students in public schools. This substantial financial commitment highlights the government’s dedication to ensuring fairness and providing equal educational opportunities for all students, regardless of their socio-economic background.
Hon. Engr. Wakilbe also extended his gratitude to NECO for its robust support, acknowledging the council’s efforts to make SSCE examinations accessible across nearly all parts of the state. This expansion has significantly reduced logistical challenges, such as the need for students to travel to Maiduguri, thus alleviating issues of overcrowding in boarding schools and ensuring a smoother examination process for students.
Wakilbe noted that illegal practice leads to difficulties in student verification, encourages indiscipline, and results in corruption and malpractice within public schools. It also places a heavy financial burden on the government and depletes the state’s limited resources. Any principal whose school’s examination centre is derecognized due to malpractice will be immediately removed from their position.
“In recognition of NECO’s efforts, His Excellency has directed the Ministry to submit plans for the completion of the permanent NECO office at the Mustapha Umar Elkanemi College. Following this briefing, we will visit the site, where NECO will formally hand it over to the engineers, allowing for the necessary work to be completed.” Wakilbe Said
The Coordinator NECO Borno State, Mr. Dauda Thomas Yahaya, has expressed gratitude to the Borno State government for its financial support, which will significantly alleviate the financial burden on the families.
On behalf of the Registrar and CEO NECO, Professor Dantani Ibrahim Wushishi, Yahaya acknowledged the payment and commended Governor Banagana Umara Zulum and Commissioner Engr Wakilbe for covering the SSCE fees of public school children, demonstrating their commitment to advancing education in the state.
Borno State Government Pays N494 Million for 2024 SSCE Fees for Public School Students
News
Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau
Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 3 of Operation Enduring Peace intervened in a reported case of farm destruction caused by cattle grazing in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State.
Security sources said the troops responded at about 1:30 p.m. on May 19 following a report that farmland belonging to one Bitrus Isah had been damaged by cattle allegedly owned by one Abdul Abu at Rigochongo village.

On arrival at the scene, the troops reportedly intercepted 49 cows and nine sheep grazing on the farmland without any herder present.
The livestock were secured to prevent further destruction and escalation of tension in the community.
Security sources said both parties involved were subsequently invited for amicable resolution of the dispute in order to maintain peace and prevent reprisal actions.
Authorities added that the intervention formed part of ongoing efforts to manage farmer-herder-related conflicts and sustain harmony across communities in Plateau State.
Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau
News
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 7, Sub-Sector 71 of Operation Enduring Peace have foiled a kidnapping attempt along a highway in Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
Security sources told Zagazola that the incident occurred at about 12:15 a.m. on May 21 when troops deployed at Ungwan Gora checkpoint responded to distress information on suspected kidnappers operating along the road at Ungwan Dariya village.
The troops reportedly moved swiftly to the location, forcing the suspected kidnappers to abandon their mission and flee into surrounding areas.
During the operation, one victim was rescued with injuries sustained during the attack.
The victim was immediately evacuated to Confidence Hospital, Fadan Karshi, for medical treatment.
Security sources said efforts were ongoing to track and apprehend the fleeing suspects, while patrols had been intensified along the axis to prevent further incidents.
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
News
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
By: Zagazola Makama
A suspected collaborator of kidnappers has died after becoming unconscious while in military custody in Nasarawa State.
Security sources said troops of Sector 2 under Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) intercepted the suspect at about 7:00 a.m. on May 19 at Ancha community in Akwanga Local Government Area.
The suspect was reportedly apprehended at Anguwan Makama following allegations of involvement in activities linked to kidnapping operations in the area.
During preliminary interrogation, the suspect reportedly became unconscious.
He was immediately evacuated to Nunku Primary Health Care Centre for medical attention, where he was confirmed dead by health officials.
Sources added that the remains of the deceased were released to his family for burial in accordance with local customs.
Security authorities said further assessment would continue in line with standard procedures, while operations against kidnapping networks in the area remain ongoing.
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
