News
BOSG urges accounting officers on strict compliance to 2024 budget, increases Target of Internally Generated Revenue in the state
BOSG urges accounting officers on strict compliance to 2024 budget, increases Target of Internally Generated Revenue in the state
By Babagana Wakil
The Borno State government has urged all accounting officers and Director finance in the state to operate within the funds approved in the 2924 budget as assented to by Governor Babagana Zulum.
The state commissioner for Budget and Planning, Professor Mustapha Malumbe who made the call Monday at a press briefing with journalists on 2024 approved budget held at the international conference hall of Usman Musa state secretariat Maiduguri said,”this budget is not just about numbers; it embodies a vision for a more prosperous, secure, and equitable future for all. Consolidation underscores Government’s commitment to building upon the successes of the past year,” .
The Commissioner said “the success or otherwise of this policy will largely depend on each and every one of us. I therefore, crave your indulgence to operate strictly within the bounds of the budget so as to achieve the set objectives”
He said the Borno State government has targeted N27.7 billion Internally Generated Revenues (IGR) with a budget performance of between 80 and 90 percent in 2024 fiscal year, stressing that thee improved budget implementation, was attributed to statutory allocation revenue from the Federal Government and payments of ground rents that raised IGR by 25 per cent.
“This budget is not just about numbers; it embodies a vision for a more prosperous, secure, and equitable future for all. Consolidation underscores Government’s commitment to building upon the successes of the past year,” Malumbe said
He also advised the accounting and finance officers to note that the budget document is a set of policy guide which will enable MDAs operate during the 2024 fiscal year, pointing out that, no request for funds not funded in the budget will be entertained.”
Malumbe said the 2024 Budget is saddled with Government’s commitment in Building on the foundation laid in the previous years; this year’s budget tagged “Budget of Consolidation and Progress marks a significant step forward in the shared journey towards achieving long-term goals.”
The commissioner further explained that the State Government will continue to strengthen fiscal discipline, invest in key infrastructure projects, and implement reforms that create a more enabling environment for businesses and individuals to thrive..
” This budget also embodies progress. Government will be making strategic investments in areas critical for sustained growth and development, such as Education, Healthcare, Works and Reconstruction to also champion initiatives that empower vulnerable communities, return of IDPs and bridge the gap between opportunity and disadvantage,” he added.
“”The expenditure proposals for the fiscal year 2024, aims to strengthen the accomplishments achieved so far and further ensure the delivery of democratic dividends, especially in the realms of socio-economic and political development of the State,” the commissioner said.lb
He further explained also that the 2024 Approved Budget was also in line with the ‘State Government’s Medium Term Expenditure Framework’ wq (MTEF 2024 – 2026) approved by the Borno State House of Assembly, the ‘Strategic Transformation Initiative’ (STI) for 2024 and 25-year State Development Plan in an effort of building Borno Back and Better.
He also emphasized on the key objectives and priorities outlined in the MTEF for the current budgeót yea which include amongst others the complete return and resettlement of all IDPs to their ancestral homes, completion of all on-going projects in the State and
He noted that the aim was to ensure food security and also mitigate some of the negative impacts of climate change, thus providing livelihoods for our rural population and to reduce over-dependence on Federal transfers through improved independent revenue generation achievable via a technological-driven and independent Board of Internal Revenue;
Professor Mustapha Babagana revealed that thhis would involve implementation of programmes that generate employment and create wealth and ensure adequate security while comparing the 2023 budget size which was N235,331,950,000.00 and made up of capital expenditures, based on the fiscal forecast and guidelines provided in the Medium-Term Expenditure Framework (MTEF 2023 – 2025) and aligned to the Budget Estimates.
He said the overall 2023 Budget Performance stood at 74.4% and during the 2024 fiscal year government is going to establishment specialized hospitals and schools of Nursing in the three senatorial district of the state. Construction of ICT centers, Government Lodges, teachers and health workers quarters. Procurement of equipment to the State University Teaching Hospital and completion, provision of scholarships to indigenous people to study nursing and midwifery courses and sponsor students in various fields of study, especially Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) courses, languages, and training of pilots
He said the 2023 budget is not without challenges, however because of the doggedness of His Excellency and the resilience of the people there was a huge success in implementation of the budget such as challenges security situation of ongoing Boko Haram .insurgency,, economic recovery and Internally displaced persons (IDPs): The large number of IDPs in the state informed additional resources require to alddress the challenges among others.
BOSG urges accounting officers on strict compliance to 2024 budget, increases Target of Internally Generated Revenue in the state
News
Primaries: Aspirants protest imposition of Reps candidates in Adamawa
Primaries: Aspirants protest imposition of Reps candidates in Adamawa
The Forum of House of Representatives Aspirants of Numan /Demsa/Lamurde Federal Constituency under the platform of All Progressives Congress (APC) in Adamawa has protested what it described as imposition of candidates in the just concluded primary elections in the state.
Speaking during the peaceful protest in Numan Local Government Area, Adamawa, Vrati Nzonzo, the spokesperson of the Forum said, the committee responsible for the conduct of the exercise and the party officials failed to abide by the rules of the game.
Nzonzo said the rules for electing candidates were through consensus or direct primaries but stressed that none of the rules were observed.
According to him, with what happened, their mandate was stolen and given to someone who did not deserve the candidacy.
“The election was supposed to be Consensus or Direct primaries but we opposed the consensus and there were no direct primaries across the Constituency”, he said.
PNzonzo called on the National Chairman APC and Governor Ahmadu Fintiri to ensure justice and fairness for the victory of the party else they threatened that they won’t vote for the party at the general elections.
Justina Nkon another aspirant also condemned the conduct of the primary election across the constituency.
According to her, the electorate were at the venue of the primaries from 8:00a.m and no officials showed up until 2:00 p.m and later on they said they had conducted the election without seeing any election materials.
She urged Fintiri to live up to the promise he made at the time of his campaign that he would not betray the people in the state.
“It’s now under your watch as the leader of the party we are witnessing the undemocratic process of primary elections by enforcing candidates who have not been elected by the people in the Constituency”, she said.
According to her, the so-called primary elections are unconstitutional, hence the need to conduct a free, fair and credible primary elections.
Usoko ken-Supule, another aspirant, demanded justice and fairness for every aspirant and for the progress of the party in the constituency, state and the country at large.
“We want justice for the progress of the party and without fairness there is no progress, therefore we are respectful party loyalists.
“We are not happy in view of what happened and we are disappointed; we are calling on the party leadership and the state governor to consider the plight of the masses”, he said.
Primaries: Aspirants protest imposition of Reps candidates in Adamawa
News
Zulum Assures Immediate Relief Items, Dignified Resettlement of Displaced Persons in Monguno
Zulum Assures Immediate Relief Items, Dignified Resettlement of Displaced Persons in Monguno
By: Our Reporter
Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, has assured displaced communities affected by insecurity that the government is working closely with the Nigerian military hierarchy to provide immediate humanitarian and long-term support.
Governor Zulum gave the assurance when he visited displaced persons in Monguno town on Sunday, reaffirming his administration’s commitment to ensuring dignified resettlement back to their ancestral communities.

While at the IDP camp, the governor interacted directly with displaced families as women, children and elderly residents gathered around him while he listened to their concerns.
“We have examined the situation critically alongside the hierarchy of the Nigerian military, and it has been concluded that we shall provide immediate humanitarian support to these displaced communities, especially in the areas of water, shelter, and sanitation,” Zulum stated.

“Apart from this, we shall also ensure that medium and longer-term sustainable solutions are being adopted, which is acceptable to this community and their ancestral home,” he said.
“We will improve the living conditions of the displaced persons; we will not allow our citizens to endure such hardship without urgent government intervention.”
He also urged residents to cooperate with security agencies by reporting suspicious movements and activities within their communities, noting that sustaining peace and security requires collective responsibility.
“Security is everybody’s business. Communities must continue to support security agencies with timely and useful information,” the governor stated.

Governor Zulum disclosed that there are over 50,000 returnees in Marte, stressing that plans were underway to facilitate the return of more displaced persons to the town as part of the medium and longer-term solution.
He immediately directed the Secretary to the State Government, the Commissioner for Local Government, the Commissioner for Internal Security, and the Chairman of Marte Local Government Area to work out the modalities for implementing the recommendations adopted.
The governor sympathized with the people affected by the recent insecurity and reaffirmed the government’s commitment to supporting them.
As part of the visit, Governor Zulum also met with health workers at the Monguno Eye Hospital, commending them for continuing to provide medical services despite difficult working conditions and limited resources. He announced financial support to improve their welfare and encourage greater commitment to healthcare delivery in the area.
The governor also visited the Commanding Officer of Forward Operation Base (FOB) Mairari for a security brief.
Governor Zulum was accompanied by the Senator representing Borno North, Senator Mohanmed Tahir Monguno; Speaker of Borno State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Abdulkarim Lawan, Member Representing Marte, Monguno, Nganzai, Hon. Bukar Talba, Secretary to the state government, Bukar Tijani, Commissioner for Information and Internal Security, Prof. Usman Tar, Commissioner for Local Government and Emirate Affairs, Hon. Sugun Mai Mele, alongside other government officials.
Zulum Assures Immediate Relief Items, Dignified Resettlement of Displaced Persons in Monguno
News
Troops Discover Illegal Refinery Site in Rivers Forest
Troops Discover Illegal Refinery Site in Rivers Forest
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of 103 Battalion operating under the Joint Task Force South-South Operation Delta Safe (OPDS) have discovered an illegal refining site in the Orashi National Forest in Ahoada West Local Government Area of Rivers State.
Military sources said the operation was conducted between 10:30 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. on May 15, 2026, as part of ongoing anti-illegal bunkering operations in the Niger Delta region.
According to the sources, troops uncovered an illegal refining site containing one large drum oven, one reservoir, one large coolant, two receivers, two waste pits, and two galvanised pipes measuring about 50 metres each.
The site was suspected to have been used for the illegal processing of stolen crude oil and petroleum products.
The sources said the discovered items were handled in accordance with operational directives of Operation Delta Safe.
Security authorities reiterated their commitment to sustaining operations against crude oil theft, illegal refining activities and economic sabotage across the Niger Delta region.
Troops Discover Illegal Refinery Site in Rivers Forest
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
