Connect with us

International

British High Commissioner visits Kano, Jigawa

Published

on

British High Commissioner visits Kano, Jigawa

By: Our Reporter

The British High Commissioner, Richard Montgomery, visited Kano and Jigawa States between the 8th and 11th of August for high-level discussions with the state governors and key stakeholders in the state government, civil society, business, and traditional leaders.

During the four-day visit, the High Commissioner visited the Kano State Governor, His Excellency Engr. Abba Kabir Yusuf and the Jigawa State Governor, His Excellency Malam Umar Namadi. They discussed the 20 years partnership that had existed between Kano and Jigawa States and strengthened through the Mutual Accountability Framework (MAF) and strategic dialogue engagements.

Through Mutual Accountability Framework (MAF), the UK has supported the Jigawa and Kano state governments’ efforts to implement reforms that will improve economic livelihoods and business, education and health, and governance.

During his visits, the High Commissioner visited the Emir of Kano, HRH Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero and the Emir of Dutse, HRH Alhaji Hameem Muhammadu Sanusi. He sought their insights and advice and encouraged them to continue to support UK programmes in the state.

The High Commissioner also met with UK-funded programme partners and representatives of civil society organisations in Kano and Jigawa states who gave a run down on the implementation of their programmes and some of the great opportunities in both states.

In Jigawa State, he met with the Deputy Governor Engr. Aminu Usman and the Director General of InvestJigawa, Hajia Furera Jumare and other business leaders in the state to explore possible areas of partnerships to help boost economic growth and create jobs.

At the end of the visit, the British High Commissioner, Richard Montgomery, said:
“Visiting Kano and Jigawa States was a great opportunity to engage and interact with key stakeholders. I was able to listen and learn, and gain insights about some of our UK-funded programmes and the impact they have made so far, and the challenges and opportunities they identified. In both states, the UK has had over 20 years of strong partnership. We very much want to continue our partnerships with these states – both their governments and people. We want to support their efforts to enhance economic prosperity, improve health and education and share expertise where useful.”

British High Commissioner visits Kano, Jigawa

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

International

UK Expresses Commitment to Restoration of Peace in Northeast

Published

on

UK Expresses Commitment to Restoration of Peace in Northeast

By: Michael Mike

The United Kingdom has expressed its commitment to the restoration of peace, stability and sustainable solutions to the troubled Northeast region which has been bedeviled by insurgency.

The British Deputy High Commissioner, Gill Atkinson made the commitment on Monday when she paid a courtesy call on Borno State Governor Babagana Zulum in Maiduguri.

Atkinson who commended Zulum for his commitment to fighting insurgency in Borno, said: “On behalf of the British Government, I recognise the effort of His Excellency, the Governor, in tackling insurgency and supporting the people of Borno State, particularly aiming to secure a prosperous future for the people displaced by insurgency.

“I want to reaffirm the UK’s commitment to supporting peace, stability and sustainable solutions, particularly through the ongoing regional stabilisation facility.”

Responding, the Secretary to Borno State Government who received the Deputy High Commissioner on behalf of Governor Zulum, expressed appreciation to the UK Government for their partnership and support.

He said,: “With the UK Government to start with, we have quite a number of very strong partnerships. His Excellency appreciates it, and he specifically instructed me to convey the special message of appreciation.”

The meeting was attended by the Commissioner for Environment, Engr Emet Kois, Education, Engr Lawan Abba Wakilbe, Work and Housing, Engr Mustapha Gubio, Transport and Energy, Aliyu Mohammed Bamanga and Inter-Governmental and Special Duties, Tukur Shani.

Others in attendance include Special Adviser on Security to the Governor, Abdullahi Ishaq, the Senior Technical Assistant, Political, to the Governor, Alhaji Tahiru Shettima, Permanent Secretary of political and cabinet, Danjuma Ali, and the Executive Secretary of Borno State Agency for Coordination of Sustainable Development and Humanitarian Response (BOACSDHR), Babakura Mamman Gadai.

UK Expresses Commitment to Restoration of Peace in Northeast

Continue Reading

Crime

Troops Foil Bandit Attack in Dabai Town, Kebbi

Published

on

Troops Foil Bandit Attack in Dabai Town, Kebbi

By: Zagazola Makama

A swift response by the Nigerian troops in Kebbi has foiled a bandit attack on Dabai Town, forcing the assailants to flee after a gun battle with security operatives.

Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that the attack occurred around 2 a.m. when suspected bandits attempted to invade the town.

“Security forces were immediately dispatched to intercept the assailants and engaged them in a fierce exchange of gunfire,” the source said. “Overwhelmed by superior firepower, the bandits abandoned their mission and escaped.”

While no casualties were reported, security operatives have intensified patrols in the area to prevent further attacks.

Troops Foil Bandit Attack in Dabai Town, Kebbi

Continue Reading

International

U.S. Condemns Killing of Catholic Priest in Kaduna

Published

on

U.S. Condemns Killing of Catholic Priest in Kaduna

By: Zagazola Makama

The United States Mission in Nigeria has condemned the brutal killing of Reverend Father Sylvester Okechukwu in Kaduna State, describing it as a senseless act of violence.

In a statement posted on its official X (formerly Twitter) account, the U.S. Mission expressed deep distress over the incident and extended condolences to the family, congregation, and community of the late cleric.

“We strongly condemn this horrific act of violence. Our thoughts are with them during this time of profound grief,” the statement read.

The mission also called on Nigerian authorities to ensure that those responsible are brought to justice.

Father Okechukwu’s killing has sparked outrage and renewed calls for enhanced security measures, especially in regions affected by banditry and violent attacks.

The Kaduna State Police Command has yet to issue an official statement on the incident, but security agencies are reportedly investigating the circumstances surrounding his death.

U.S. Condemns Killing of Catholic Priest in Kaduna

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights