Connect with us

News

Children are battling escalating of alarming malnutrition in north-east- UNICEF

Published

on

Children are battling escalating of alarming malnutrition in north-east- UNICEF

By: Ladi Dapson

United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has raised concerns of alarming rate of acute malnutrition among children due to lack of access for humanitarian workers in Marte local government area of Borno state.

According to the United Nations agency, said protracted conflict has continued to impact on the ability of households to produce food on their farmlands and this has resulted in increased food insecurity.

UNICEF Emergency Manager, Andrea Malatesta stated shortly after field mission to Marte LGA Borno State at weekend.

He said military escorts which could take 3-5 days before its available disrupt planned activities, hinder humanitarian operations, and compromise the safety of residents and personnel in the area

“Children in northeast Nigeria are battling escalating levels of malnutrition and they need immediate, and wholistic response to address this.

“Insecurity remains the number one challenge. Access to New Marte is only possible by road and humanitarian operations rely heavily on military escort to transport personnel, supplies and other critical resources to support the local population affected by conflict.

“Being an area with security concerns, military escorts or safety sweep are required for the safe movement of individuals and goods. However, the availability of such escorts is often inconsistent or unreliable, leading to potential risks and vulnerabilities,”he worried.

Mr Andrea maintained that many households do not always get nutritious food that they need, and many adopt coping strategies like skipping meals.

“With the support of the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), we are making sure that the therapeutic food, supplements and medications that children with SAM need are available.

“As a result, children and pregnant and lactating mothers do not have nutritious food crucial to their survival and development, hence the high cases of MAM and SAM.

“Over 460,000 children were treated for acute malnutrition across Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states in 2023.

“So far this year, 8,605 children between the ages of 6-59 months have been screened for malnutrition. During these screening exercises, 2,156 malnourished children were identified, admitted into the nutrition programme and they fully recovered. (1,358 severe acute malnutrition, 798 moderate acute malnutrition).” Andrea explained.

He noted that UNICEF and partner, Monclub International is using the Rapid Response Mechanism (RRM) programme to ensure that no child dies of malnutrition, cholera or water borne diseases in New Marte.

Children are battling escalating of alarming malnutrition in north-east- UNICEF

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau

Published

on

Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 6, Operation Enduring Peace have recovered a suspected stolen motorcycle following a pursuit of suspected motorcycle snatchers in Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau.

Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 6:30 p.m. on May 21 along the Bachi-Banghai road after troops received reports on the activities of suspected motorcycle snatchers in the area.

The sources said the troops immediately mobilised and pursued the suspects, who abandoned the motorcycle and fled upon sighting the security personnel.

According to the sources, the recovered motorcycle has been secured, while efforts were ongoing to identify the rightful owner and apprehend the fleeing suspects.

The military said the operation formed part of sustained efforts to combat criminal activities and enhance security across Plateau.

Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau

Continue Reading

News

Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau

Published

on

Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 1, Operation Enduring Peace have launched a rescue operation following the abduction of a resident in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau.

Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 11:00 p.m. on May 21 when gunmen reportedly abducted Mr Eze Emeka from his residence at Agingi village.

The sources said troops swiftly responded to the distress report and commenced rescue operations in collaboration with other security agencies.

According to the sources, efforts were ongoing to track down the kidnappers and secure the safe release of the victim.

The military assured residents that security forces were intensifying operations to curb criminal activities in the area.

Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau

Continue Reading

News

JNIM attack in Tillaberi signals deepening jihadist rivalry and expanding Sahel instability

Published

on

JNIM attack in Tillaberi signals deepening jihadist rivalry and expanding Sahel instability

By: Zagazola Makama

The reported deadly attack on a Nigerien Army engineering unit near Garbougna in the Tillaberi Region marks a significant escalation in the evolving security dynamics of western Niger and the wider Sahel.

With an estimated 67 soldiers and civilians reportedly killed and a military camp destroyed, the incident underscores both the intensity and increasing sophistication of militant operations in the region.

Beyond the immediate casualties, the attack is notable for its attribution to Jama’at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimin (JNIM), which swiftly claimed responsibility. Tillaberi have long been considered a stronghold of Islamic State in the Sahel (IS Sahel), suggesting a possible shift in operational influence or encroachment into contested territory.

The incident reflects an emerging pattern of geographic diffusion of jihadist violence across the Tera–Niamey corridor, an axis that has repeatedly come under pressure from armed groups. The corridor connects several vulnerable departments, including Tera, Torodi, Say and Ayorou, all of which have experienced repeated attacks in recent years.

The Garbougna attack also fits into a broader sequence of high-casualty operations across Niger since early 2026, including reported strikes near Niamey airport in January and Makalondi in February. These incidents collectively indicate sustained pressure on Nigerien security forces and an expanding operational reach of armed groups closer to strategic population centres.

Of particular concern is the apparent intensification of competition between IS Sahel and JNIM. While both groups have historically operated in overlapping zones, recent claims of responsibility and counter-claims suggest a more overt struggle for influence, recruitment, and territorial control. The reported clash between the two factions near Petel Kole earlier in the year further supports this assessment.

The implications of this rivalry are significant. Rather than reducing violence through competition, the fragmentation of jihadist groups in the Sahel has in some cases resulted in increased attacks, as factions seek to demonstrate operational strength and legitimacy.

At the same time, the weakening of state presence in rural and border communities is compounding the crisis. Reports of closed schools, non-functional health facilities, and inactive markets point to a gradual erosion of governance structures in affected areas. This vacuum continues to facilitate militant mobility and recruitment.

Another critical dimension is the increasing use of improvised explosive devices (IEDs), which has reportedly hindered post-attack clearance operations in the Garbougna area. Such tactics not only slow military response but also expand the risk zone for civilians and security forces alike.

Strategically, Tillaberi remains the epicentre of Niger’s insecurity challenges, given its proximity to the Mali and Burkina Faso border regions. The corridor’s proximity to Niamey raises additional concerns, particularly regarding potential spillover effects into the capital’s security perimeter.

The Garbougna attack, therefore, illustrates a convergence of three destabilising trends: escalating casualty levels, intensified jihadist competition, and shrinking state control in border regions. Taken together, these dynamics suggest a deteriorating security outlook for western Niger, with implications that extend beyond national boundaries into the wider Sahel security architecture.

JNIM attack in Tillaberi signals deepening jihadist rivalry and expanding Sahel instability

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights