Connect with us

News

DTSG Gives N2M To Brave Tanker Driver Who Averted Major Disaster In Agbarho

Published

on

DTSG Gives N2M To Brave Tanker Driver Who Averted Major Disaster In Agbarho

DTSG Gives N2M To Brave Tanker Driver Who Averted Major Disaster In Agbarho

Delta State Government has presented a cheque of Two Million Naira, a plaque and a letter of commendation to Mr. Ejiro Otarigho, a tanker driver, for his display of heroism and humanity as he drove a burning tanker away to a safe place where it exploded into an inferno last week in the state.

Governor Ifeanyi Okowa, represented by the Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Chief Patrick Ukah, made the presentation to Mr. Otarigho in Asaba in the office of the SSG.

Governor Okowa commended him for the rare display of patriotism, humanity, bravery and heroism and noted that the incident would have resulted in the death of many persons and destruction of property at Agbarho in Ughelli North Local Government Area where the fire started.

He expressed happiness with the tanker driver for his action and stated that Mr Otarigho had become the new face of Delta and Youth Ambassador for his display of heroism, adding that the state government would continue to celebrate him.

The Governor explained that what he did could not be translated to money but he should understand that people appreciated him for the action, and urged him not to stop at this but to continue to do his best for humanity.

Responding, Mr. Otarigho thanked the state government for the gesture and noted that driving the burning tanker filled with premium motor spirit away from a busy place was the best he could do at that moment to save lives and property.

He said being appreciated by people coupled with other accolades for his action showed that doing good for the public would not be in vain and thanked all for appreciating him.

Speaking in an interview, the wife of the driver thanked God for everything saying that she was shocked at the initial stage when she received the news but appreciated her husband for his patriotism and heroism.

The Commissioner for Oil and Gas, Mr. Emmanuel Amgbaduba, and his Youth Development counterpart, Comrade Ifeanyi Egwuyenga, among others, were in an attendance during the ceremony.

DTSG Gives N2M To Brave Tanker Driver Who Averted Major Disaster In Agbarho

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Operative dies in accidental discharge in Niger

Published

on

Operative dies in accidental discharge in Niger

By: Zagazola Makama

An operative attached to a security unit in Niger State has died following an accidental discharge of a rifle at his duty post in Shiroro Local Government Area.

Sources said the incident occurred at about 10:00 p.m. on Feb. 16 when the operative, identified as Abubakar Iliya, 35, who was attached to a special hunters unit stationed at Galadiman-Kogo, reportedly fell from a sentry post.

During the fall, his cocked rifle disengaged and discharged, striking him in the abdomen and causing fatal injuries.

His remains were later evacuated by his unit for burial in accordance with customary rites.

Operative dies in accidental discharge in Niger

Continue Reading

News

Boat mishap leaves passengers missing in Niger

Published

on

Boat mishap leaves passengers missing in Niger

By: Zagazola Makama

A canoe conveying seven passengers capsized while in transit between Jata and Kami Village in Shiroro Local Government Area of Niger State, leaving several persons missing.

Sources said the incident occurred at about 7:00 p.m. on Feb. 16 when the canoe, carrying six females and one male passenger, overturned during the journey.

The passengers were identified as Mustapher Yakubu; Sahura Yakubu and her child; Zarifa Yakubu; Mommy Yakubu; Lizatu Yakubu; Zaratu Yusuf; and Sumaiya Ibrahim, all from Jata/Bmagara via Kami Village.

Rescue teams, including police and local divers, were immediately mobilised to the scene. The boat driver and his conductor were rescued alive, while search efforts are ongoing to locate the remaining passengers.

Authorities said further updates would be provided as rescue operations continue.

Boat mishap leaves passengers missing in Niger

Continue Reading

News

Armed bandits attack Konkoso Village, kill two in Niger

Published

on

Armed bandits attack Konkoso Village, kill two in Niger

By: Zagazola Makama

Armed bandits have killed two people and razed homes during an attack on Konkoso Village in Niger State, security sources said.

According to sources, the incident occurred at about 9:30 a.m. on Feb. 17 when a large group of bandits invaded the village, shot two residents whose identities are yet to be confirmed, and set several houses on fire.

The attackers also looted shops and carted away food items before leaving Konkoso Village and moving toward Pissa Village in Pissa District.

Authorities said efforts are ongoing to track the bandits and apprehend those responsible for the attack.

Armed bandits attack Konkoso Village, kill two in Niger

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights