News
FG Begins Plan on COP29, Reviews Outcomes of Last Session
FG Begins Plan on COP29, Reviews Outcomes of Last Session
By: Michael Mike
As the nation begins to plan for the the 29th session of the Conference of Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP29) holding in Azerbaijan, the Federal Government has emphasised the need to review the outcomes of the 28th session (COP28) held in Dubai.
The government said the outcomes of the negotiations at COP28 have implications for Nigeria’s development aspirations and climate action across all sectors and as such should be reviewed and the outcomes achieved appraised.
COP of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) is the supreme governing body that convenes annually to assess progress in dealing with climate change and make plans for climate action within the UNFCCC guidelines.
COP28 held in Dubai last year sets out the actions needed to keep 1.5°C within reach in line with the goal of the Paris Agreement.
At COP28, Nigeria stressed the request for its inclusion in the G7’s climate partnership list for the Just Energy Transition Partnership towards an effective and sustainable framework in addressing the socio-economic effects of energy transition.
Nigeria also called for urgent scaling up of adaptation finance, expansion of adaptation acceleration programmes, and a substantive global goal on adaptation.
On Tuesday in Abuja, stakeholders gathered to review the outcomes of COP28. The meeting was organised by the National Council on Climate Change and the Delegation of the European Union in Nigeria.
Speaking at the one-day workshop, the Minister of Environment, Balarabe Lawal said the 28th session of the Conference of Parties to the UNFCCC serves as a stark reminder of the urgent need for resolute action in the face of escalating climate crises and environmental challenges.
He said: “With negotiations focused on crucial issues such as mitigation, adaptation, finance, and transparency, the outcomes of COP28 have far-reaching implications for the future of our planet.”
The Minister added that: “As we gear up for COP29, it is imperative that we foster a spirit of collaboration, unity, and shared responsibility, harnessing the collective wisdom, expertise, resources of all stakeholders and firm commitments to advance Nigeria’s environmental goals.
“Nigeria, like many other countries, is already feeling the impacts of climate change. From extreme weather events to rising sea levels, the effects of climate change are evident in our daily lives.”
He noted that stakeholders need to take action and work towards a more sustainable and resilient future for the people and the environment.
On his part, the Director General of the NCCC, Dr Salisu Dahiru noted that as an oil-producing and developing nation, the agreements forged during COP28 pose the need for a strategic review of our national actions and climate goals.
“Hence, this workshop presents a pivotal opportunity for us to reflect on these outcomes and chart a path forward towards sustainable solutions as we speed our transition to a climate-resilient future.
“We seek to facilitate the inclusive participatory process to motivate actions towards seeking higher ambitious goals for our transition to a low carbon economy and to create a forum for government, businesses, states, and other stakeholders to continue to shape and strengthen the climate action processes in Nigeria,” Dr Dahiru stated.
The Head of Cooperation of the Delegation of the EU to Nigeria and ECOWAS, Massimo De Luca urged stakeholders to walk the talk on climate actions.
FG Begins Plan on COP29, Reviews Outcomes of Last Session
News
Police recover 15 rustled cows in Zamfara
Police recover 15 rustled cows in Zamfara
By: Zagazola Makama
The Police Command in Zamfara says its operatives have recovered 15 cows rustled by armed bandits during an attack on Gidan Kwagiri village in Damba District of Gusau Local Government Area.
Security sources said the incident occurred at about 1:30 a.m. on Feb. 15 when the bandits invaded the community and carted away cows and sheep belonging to residents.
According to the sources, upon receiving the report, the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) in charge of Damba Division mobilised personnel alongside patrol teams from the Department of Operations to pursue the attackers.
The team was said to have successfully recovered 15 cows, which were subsequently handed over to their owners.
Efforts, however, are ongoing to track down the suspects and recover the remaining rustled animals, while security patrols have been intensified in the area to forestall further attacks.
Police recover 15 rustled cows in Zamfara
News
Operation Whirl Stroke arrests cow rustling suspects fuelling violence in Benue
Operation Whirl Stroke arrests cow rustling suspects fuelling violence in Benue
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of the Joint Task Force (JTF) Operation WHIRL STROKE have arrested suspects linked to cattle rustling in Benue State, following two separate security incidents in Guma Local Government Area.

Security sources said that on Feb. 15, troops responded to an attack on herders at Amua Village, located between Daudu and Umenger/Ukpiam. The attack left one herder dead, while another sustained gunshot wounds and was evacuated to Keana in neighbouring Nasarawa State for urgent medical attention. The remains of the deceased were handed over to community representatives for burial according to local customs.

In a related operation on the same day, troops stationed at Ukpiam acted on intelligence provided by vigilant youths concerning suspected cattle rustling. The troops arrested a 23-year-old suspect, Terngu Aondohemba, who reportedly confessed to killing two cattle belonging to Fulani herders. He also implicated two accomplices, Akpehe and Ashinge, who are still at large.
Further investigation led security operatives to Korje Village in Daudu, where Mrs. Mercy Onban, wife of the alleged buyer of the stolen meat, was apprehended along with the recovered meat exhibits. Both suspects remain in custody pending further investigation.

The Force Commander of the Joint Task Force, Major General Moses Gara, condemned the attacks and criminality, affirming the commitment of Operation WHIRL STROKE to halting killings and cattle rustling in the Joint Operations Area.
He urged community leaders to strengthen collaboration with security agencies, stressing that timely intelligence sharing is critical to restoring lasting peace. Major General Gara also reassured law-abiding residents of the strong resolve of the Joint Task Force to protect lives and property across the region.
Operation Whirl Stroke arrests cow rustling suspects fuelling violence in Benue
News
Federal Government arraigns Nasir El-Rufai over alleged phone interception
Federal Government arraigns Nasir El-Rufai over alleged phone interception
By: Zagazola Makama
The Federal Government has charged former Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, before the Federal High Court, Abuja, over alleged unlawful interception of phone communications belonging to the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.
Court documents showed that El-Rufai, 65, appeared as a guest on Arise TV’s Prime Time Programme on Feb. 13, 2026, where he reportedly admitted to involvement in the interception and to knowing individuals who carried out the act without reporting them to security agencies.

The charges, filed under TABU DET CR/99/2026, include: Count One, Allegedly admitting during the television interview that he and his associates unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, contrary to Section 12 (1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
Count Two, Allegedly stating that he knew individuals who unlawfully intercepted the same communications but failed to report them, in violation of Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024. Count Three, Allegedly using technical systems to compromise public safety and national security, and instilling apprehension among Nigerians, in breach of Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.
The case, filed by a team of Federal Government lawyers led by ME Ernest, OM Owan, UM Bulla, CS Eze, and VE G. Orubor, is set to proceed with investigations and trial proceedings.

Authorities said the matter falls under the jurisdiction of the Abuja Judicial Division of the Federal High Court, where the accused will be required to respond to the charges.
The trial is expected to attract significant public attention given the high-profile nature of the accused and the sensitive security issues involved.
Federal Government arraigns Nasir El-Rufai over alleged phone interception
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News10 months agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
