Uncategorized
FG hails Gombe’s public service reform
FG hails Gombe’s public service reform
The Federal Government has lauded the Gombe state government for its comprehensive public service reforms to enhance quality service delivery to the people.
Dr Dasuki Arabi, Director-General, Bureau of Public Service Reform (BPSR), said this in Gombe on Thursday during a courtesy visit to the Gombe State BPSR Headquarters.
Arabi praised Gov. Inuwa Yahaya for establishing the BPSR in the state, and driving digitalisation, efficiency and worker welfare since 2019.
He said the state was already reaping gains of embracing reforms in public service which impacted governance, making Gombe a model to other states.
The DG said that part of the reforms that Gombe initiated using technology resulted in the introduction of biometric attendance in civil service which addressed absenteeism.
He highlighted that the biometric improved efficiency and effectiveness in public service delivery as well as tackle ghost workers.
According to Arabi, the reforms including digitalisation of system and operation is part of the reason for the improvement in revenue collection in the state from N6 billion in 2019 to N40 billion in 2024.
He said that with the digitalisation of government operations, forgery and other sharp practices had been tackled and revenue collection improved.
Arabi said that the progress made by Gombe State through the reforms resulted in the state being ranked 8th at the BPSR 2025 edition of the Transparency and Integrity Index (TII).
He described the index as a vital tool for strengthening accountability, openness and ethical standards across Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs).
The BPSR helmsman said the state government’s effort at building stronger institutions for a more accountable and prosperous state and a culture of openness and responsibility that inspires public trust, has become a model to others.
Arabi, however, urged the state to sustain the feat and work towards full digitalisation of payroll management as well as record systems yet to be digitalised.
“I also call on the state to carryout a deep staff audit and do a skills gaps analysis to indicate where we need to improve and who we need to manage certain areas,” he said.
Mr Abubakar Hassan, Director-General, Gombe State BPSR, said the reforms were made possible as a result of the political will of the governor.
Hassan highlighted how the reforms helped improved the transparency rating of the state, stressing that many development partners were in the state because of the open governance style of the Yahaya-led administration.
According to Hassan, the government is working hard to replicate all reforms by the federal government at the state level to deliver better services to the people.
“Today, Gombe is a model because of our bold reforms initiated by Govenor Yahaya which has helped us in revenue collection, land administration, civil service digitalisation, budget process, elimination of ghost workers syndrome amongst others,” he said.
Hassan pledged to continue to initiate and implement reforms to build strong institutions, entrench the culture of open governance and inspire public trust.
FG hails Gombe’s public service reform
Uncategorized
Police neutralise two suspected kidnappers, recover rifle in Akwa Ibom
Police neutralise two suspected kidnappers, recover rifle in Akwa Ibom
By: Zagazola Makama
The Nigeria Police Force in Akwa Ibom State have neutralised two suspected kidnappers and recovered a firearm during a tactical operation along waterways in the state.
Police sources said the operation was conducted at about 11:10 p.m. on Feb. 16 by a SWAT team following credible intelligence on the activities of a militant group identified as the “Blin Blin Marine Strike Force,” allegedly operating along the Uruan waterways and Itu waterfronts.
According to the sources, officers on a clearance mission at Ikot Ika waterfront encountered the suspects in a gun duel. During the exchange, one police inspector sustained gunshot injuries and was rushed to hospital, where he is currently responding to treatment.
Two members of the group were neutralised during the encounter, while others reportedly escaped through the waterways with gunshot wounds.
Items recovered from the suspects included a G3 assault rifle and four rounds of live ammunition.
Preliminary investigation revealed that the group was allegedly led by Ubong Effiong Archibong, also known as “Condiment,” who was on a police wanted list over alleged involvement in multiple kidnapping and violent crime incidents, including attacks on prominent individuals and security personnel.
The police said operations were ongoing to track down fleeing members of the gang and dismantle the remaining criminal network.
Police neutralise two suspected kidnappers, recover rifle in Akwa Ibom
Uncategorized
Bandit attack in Zamfara leaves one dead, three abducted
Bandit attack in Zamfara leaves one dead, three abducted
By: Zagazola Makama
Armed bandits have killed a man, injured another, and abducted three people during attacks in Magazu and Fadama areas of Zamfara State, sources said.
According to sources, the attack occurred in the early hours of Feb. 17 when gunmen invaded the western part of Magazu Village, shooting and injuring Aliyu Musa. His neighbour, Ibrahim Haruna, who reportedly came to assist, was shot dead.
In a separate raid later in the same area, gunmen stormed Fadama, abducting three persons, including Abdulhakim Salmanu, 46, and two others whose identities are yet to be confirmed.
Troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA were mobilized to the scene, but the attackers had fled before their arrival. Efforts to rescue the abducted victims and track down the perpetrators are ongoing.
Bandit attack in Zamfara leaves one dead, three abducted
Uncategorized
Civil Society Storms National Assembly, Demands Mandatory Real-Time Election Result Transmission
Civil Society Storms National Assembly, Demands Mandatory Real-Time Election Result Transmission
By: Michael Mike
Civil society groups intensified pressure on the National Assembly on Tuesday, staging a second day of protests demanding that the proposed Electoral Act (Amendment) Bill 2026 enshrine mandatory real-time electronic transmission of election results from polling units to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
The demonstrations, spearheaded by ActionAid Nigeria alongside other civic organisations, come amid concerns that the Senate version of the bill dilutes provisions for e-transmission, in contrast to the House of Representatives’ version, which civil society groups have endorsed.
Addressing the crowd, Country Director of ActionAid Nigeria, Andrew Mamedu,, stressed that the demand was absolute. “Real-time electronic transmission of results. Mandatory. Without any condition,” warning that manipulation often occurs at the transmission stage, undermining the credibility of elections.
Mamedu cited India as a global example, highlighting that even with nearly one billion registered voters and limited network coverage, the country successfully implements electronic voting and results transmission — a model Nigeria can emulate. He urged citizens to hold senators and representatives accountable for supporting the mandatory provision.
Convener of Lawyers in Defence of Democracy and Human Rights, Okere Nnamdi, described the protest as a “people’s parliament” rallying behind the House version of the bill. He called on the harmonisation committee of both chambers to adopt the House proposal in full.
Nnamdi warned of legal challenges if the final version falls short, stating, “If anything less than the House of Representatives version is endorsed and signed into law, there will be over 1,000 public interest litigations challenging the 2026 electoral bill.”
On his part, the CEO of TAF Africa Jake Epelle, representing persons with disabilities, reinforced the argument, insisting that credible elections are impossible without real-time result transmission. “No real-time transmission, no credible election. Enough is enough,” he said, pledging continued civic action until the law guarantees electoral integrity.
Protesters emphasised that mandatory e-transmission would enhance transparency, level the playing field for all political actors, and restore public confidence in Nigeria’s electoral system. They vowed to maintain sustained pressure on lawmakers as the National Assembly works to harmonise the Senate and House versions of the amendment bill.
The demonstrations signal a growing civic insistence that Nigeria’s electoral reforms must prioritise technology-driven transparency to safeguard democracy and reflect the genuine will of the people.
Civil Society Storms National Assembly, Demands Mandatory Real-Time Election Result Transmission
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News10 months agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
