News
FG lauds Zulum for the 15% allocation to health
FG lauds Zulum for the 15% allocation to health
By: Our Reporter
The coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Professor Ali Pate, has commended Borno State Governor, Babagana Umara Zulum, for allocating 15% of the state’s budget to the healthcare sector in compliance with the Abuja declaration of 2001.
“I join my voice to thank you, Your Excellency, for the progress being made despite the challenges. Thank you for the increased allocation to health and thank you for being innovative. I also thank you for your support for health workers in rural areas which is so critical to achieving the gains that we so desire in healthcare,” the minister said.
The minister made the commendation on Monday in Maiduguri while delivering a keynote address at the opening session of the North East Commissioners of Health Forum meeting with the theme “Addressing Key Health Challenges Affecting Northeastern States of Nigeria.”
The minister was represented by the Executive Director of the National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA), Dr. Muyi Aina.
In 2023, resulting from the unprecedented performance by Borno State Governor, Babagana Umara Zulum, Borno emerged winner of the maiden Primary Healthcare Leadership Award both at the national and regional levels for the year 2022.
The Primary Healthcare Leadership Award was organized by the Nigerian Governors Forum in collaboration with UNICEF, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Aliko Dangote Foundation and the National Healthcare Development Agency.
The award was to honour and recognise states that have achieved noteworthy strides in providing primary healthcare services.
In their separate remarks, the World Health Organization (WHO) country representative, Dr Walter Kazadi Mulombo, and the FAO rep to Nigeria and Ecowas, Koffy Dominique Kougcou, commended the Governor for the success achieved in five years.
Declaring the meeting open, Governor Zulum highlighted the success he has recorded since 2019 when he assumed leadership of the state.
The governor noted the efforts on human resources, increased allocation to the health sector, provision of free maternal drugs, reconstruction of destroyed health facilities, construction of new health centres and providing improved working conditions for health workers among others.
Zulum also stated that in order to address the challenges of manpower, his administration will establish two new schools of nursing in the state.
The governor also urged participants at the meeting to come up with a framework that can address challenges faced in the health sector, particularly in rural areas.
FG lauds Zulum for the 15% allocation to health
News
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 7, Sub-Sector 71 of Operation Enduring Peace have foiled a kidnapping attempt along a highway in Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
Security sources told Zagazola that the incident occurred at about 12:15 a.m. on May 21 when troops deployed at Ungwan Gora checkpoint responded to distress information on suspected kidnappers operating along the road at Ungwan Dariya village.
The troops reportedly moved swiftly to the location, forcing the suspected kidnappers to abandon their mission and flee into surrounding areas.
During the operation, one victim was rescued with injuries sustained during the attack.
The victim was immediately evacuated to Confidence Hospital, Fadan Karshi, for medical treatment.
Security sources said efforts were ongoing to track and apprehend the fleeing suspects, while patrols had been intensified along the axis to prevent further incidents.
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
News
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
By: Zagazola Makama
A suspected collaborator of kidnappers has died after becoming unconscious while in military custody in Nasarawa State.
Security sources said troops of Sector 2 under Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) intercepted the suspect at about 7:00 a.m. on May 19 at Ancha community in Akwanga Local Government Area.
The suspect was reportedly apprehended at Anguwan Makama following allegations of involvement in activities linked to kidnapping operations in the area.
During preliminary interrogation, the suspect reportedly became unconscious.
He was immediately evacuated to Nunku Primary Health Care Centre for medical attention, where he was confirmed dead by health officials.
Sources added that the remains of the deceased were released to his family for burial in accordance with local customs.
Security authorities said further assessment would continue in line with standard procedures, while operations against kidnapping networks in the area remain ongoing.
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
News
U.S. AFRICOM Delegation Visits Maiduguri, Reaffirms Counterterrorism Cooperation
U.S. AFRICOM Delegation Visits Maiduguri, Reaffirms Counterterrorism Cooperation
By: Zagazola Makama
A delegation from the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) has visited the Headquarters Joint Task Force North East Operation Hadin Kai in Maiduguri to strengthen ongoing counterterrorism cooperation in the Lake Chad region.
Security sources said the delegation, led by the Deputy Director of Operations/Cyber, Rear Admiral Cameron Chen, arrived at Maimalari Cantonment on May 20, where they were received by the Deputy Theatre Commander, Air Vice Marshal O.F. Akinboyewa.
The visit featured a detailed briefing on the current threat assessment in the North-East and ongoing counterterrorism and counter-insurgency operations across the theatre of operations.
Discussions during the engagement focused on enhancing intelligence sharing, intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) support, logistics interdiction, and improved operational coordination within the Lake Chad basin.
The delegation also reviewed ongoing multinational efforts aimed at degrading terrorist capabilities and disrupting logistics networks across the region.
Security sources said both sides reaffirmed their commitment to continued collaboration under counterterrorism and counter-insurgency frameworks, including preparations for Operation Lake Sanity III.
The visit was described as successful and conducted without incident.
Authorities noted that international cooperation remains a key component in sustaining pressure on terrorist groups operating in the North-East.
U.S. AFRICOM Delegation Visits Maiduguri, Reaffirms Counterterrorism Cooperation
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
