Connect with us

News

Food Security: Zulum announces 7 pilot irrigation schemes in Borno

Published

on

Food Security: Zulum announces 7 pilot irrigation schemes in Borno

…Assesses Mafa water works, orders reticulation

By: Our Reporter

Borno State Governor, Babagana Umara Zulum, has announced seven pilot communities for his administration’s irrigation plan that aims to key into the national food security initiatives of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

The seven irrigation schemes are to be sited at Gajibo in Dikwa, Jafi in Kwaya Kusar, Baga in Kukawa, Logumani in Ngala, Damasak in Mobbar, Dadin Kowa in Bayo and Mafa Local Government Areas.

Governor Zulum made the announcement on Wednesday in Mafa, stating that the initiative was to key into President Tinubu’s “Renewed Hope” agenda to ensure food security in Nigeria.

“You can see the establishment of the Mafa irrigation scheme has started; we have so far identified a number of farmers and we have provided them with agricultural inputs. We intend to engage at least 10% of the communities, especially in the dry season farming,” Zulum said.

He also said, “Our focus is to drive into President Tinubu’s “Renewed Hope” agenda, we will engage in wheat farming among other valuable crops. Most importantly, we want to see how we can improve the livelihoods of members of the communities.”

During the visit to Mafa, Zulum inspected facilities including fully solar-powered free-flow deep aquifer boreholes with a 30 litres per second discharge capacity and about 2.4 million litres capacity earth dam.

… Governor assesses Mafa water works, orders reticulation

Meanwhile, Governor Babagana Umara Zulum also assessed Mafa water works aimed at addressing the problems of the shortage of potable water in the town.

The Mafa mega water works have a combined 400,000-litre capacity surface and overhead tanks.

Zulum ordered the reticulation to provide easy access for residents who hitherto travelled far distances to fetch water.

Food Security: Zulum announces 7 pilot irrigation schemes in Borno

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Operative dies in accidental discharge in Niger

Published

on

Operative dies in accidental discharge in Niger

By: Zagazola Makama

An operative attached to a security unit in Niger State has died following an accidental discharge of a rifle at his duty post in Shiroro Local Government Area.

Sources said the incident occurred at about 10:00 p.m. on Feb. 16 when the operative, identified as Abubakar Iliya, 35, who was attached to a special hunters unit stationed at Galadiman-Kogo, reportedly fell from a sentry post.

During the fall, his cocked rifle disengaged and discharged, striking him in the abdomen and causing fatal injuries.

His remains were later evacuated by his unit for burial in accordance with customary rites.

Operative dies in accidental discharge in Niger

Continue Reading

News

Boat mishap leaves passengers missing in Niger

Published

on

Boat mishap leaves passengers missing in Niger

By: Zagazola Makama

A canoe conveying seven passengers capsized while in transit between Jata and Kami Village in Shiroro Local Government Area of Niger State, leaving several persons missing.

Sources said the incident occurred at about 7:00 p.m. on Feb. 16 when the canoe, carrying six females and one male passenger, overturned during the journey.

The passengers were identified as Mustapher Yakubu; Sahura Yakubu and her child; Zarifa Yakubu; Mommy Yakubu; Lizatu Yakubu; Zaratu Yusuf; and Sumaiya Ibrahim, all from Jata/Bmagara via Kami Village.

Rescue teams, including police and local divers, were immediately mobilised to the scene. The boat driver and his conductor were rescued alive, while search efforts are ongoing to locate the remaining passengers.

Authorities said further updates would be provided as rescue operations continue.

Boat mishap leaves passengers missing in Niger

Continue Reading

News

Armed bandits attack Konkoso Village, kill two in Niger

Published

on

Armed bandits attack Konkoso Village, kill two in Niger

By: Zagazola Makama

Armed bandits have killed two people and razed homes during an attack on Konkoso Village in Niger State, security sources said.

According to sources, the incident occurred at about 9:30 a.m. on Feb. 17 when a large group of bandits invaded the village, shot two residents whose identities are yet to be confirmed, and set several houses on fire.

The attackers also looted shops and carted away food items before leaving Konkoso Village and moving toward Pissa Village in Pissa District.

Authorities said efforts are ongoing to track the bandits and apprehend those responsible for the attack.

Armed bandits attack Konkoso Village, kill two in Niger

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights