News
Former Senate president called for an investigation into the killings in Gashua.
Former Senate president called for an investigation into the killings in Gashua.
By: Yahaya Wakili
President of the 9th Senate, Senator Ahmad Ibrahim Lawan, Ph.D., GCON, Sardaunan Bade, Yobe North Senatorial District, has called on military authorities to immediately investigate the killing of three innocent civilians by soldiers in Gashu’a, the headquarters of Bade local government area of Yobe state.
The former Senate President, in a statement he personally signed and made available to newsmen in Damaturu on Sunday, demanded swift investigation by the military into the tragic incident.
It was reported on Sunday that soldiers fired indiscriminately into groups of protesters who were approaching their stop-and-search checking point near Gashua Bridge to protest the alleged killing of a tricycle operator by the soldiers in Gashu’a.
The statement further said, Reports indicate that a total of three (3) civilians were killed, while 12 people were taken to the Federal Medical Centre Nguru for treatment over injuries sustained from the attack by the soldiers.
Senator Ahmad Lawan, who currently chairs the Senate Committee on Defense, said that efforts must be made by the Nigerian Army to ensure that the perpetrators behind the acts of violence are held accountable and responsible for their actions.
He said, “Gashu’a community has always been a peaceful place with calm people, who always give support and cooperation with the military, paramilitary, and, indeed, all government agents operating in the town!”
Senator Ahmad Lawan further appealed to residents for calm, while assuring that he has already spoken with military authorities to ensure that those responsible are apprehended and dealt with according to the law. He emphasized that justice will be served.
He has also already taken full responsibility for the treatment of all those who were injured. Senator Ahmad added.
The statement read, “I am deeply saddened by Sunday’s tragic event that took place in Gashu’a, Yobe State, where soldiers allegedly killed three innocent civilians who were among those protesting the killing of a tricycle operator by the soldiers.
“I call on the military authorities to swiftly investigate and bring to justice those responsible for the killings. It is imperative that those behind these senseless acts of violence are held accountable for their actions. Justice must be served for the victims and their families.
“Accordingly, I have waded into the issue by contacting the Bade Local Government Chairman and Commanding Officer for an hourly brief to keep me informed of development. I have also taken responsibility for the treatment of all 12 people who sustained various forms of injuries from the attack by soldiers.
Senator Ahmad Lawan urges the community of Gashua in Bade local government area to remain calm and peaceful in the midst of this tragedy.
“I stand in solidarity and unity with the residents of Gashu’a during this difficult time to mourn the loss of innocent lives. Together, we can honor the memories of the lives lost and work towards a more peaceful and just society for all.
“My thoughts and prayers are with the families and loved ones of those who died during this tragic incident. May the souls of the deceased rest in Aljannatur Firdaus.”
Former Senate president called for an investigation into the killings in Gashua.
News
Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau
Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 3 of Operation Enduring Peace intervened in a reported case of farm destruction caused by cattle grazing in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State.
Security sources said the troops responded at about 1:30 p.m. on May 19 following a report that farmland belonging to one Bitrus Isah had been damaged by cattle allegedly owned by one Abdul Abu at Rigochongo village.

On arrival at the scene, the troops reportedly intercepted 49 cows and nine sheep grazing on the farmland without any herder present.
The livestock were secured to prevent further destruction and escalation of tension in the community.
Security sources said both parties involved were subsequently invited for amicable resolution of the dispute in order to maintain peace and prevent reprisal actions.
Authorities added that the intervention formed part of ongoing efforts to manage farmer-herder-related conflicts and sustain harmony across communities in Plateau State.
Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau
News
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 7, Sub-Sector 71 of Operation Enduring Peace have foiled a kidnapping attempt along a highway in Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
Security sources told Zagazola that the incident occurred at about 12:15 a.m. on May 21 when troops deployed at Ungwan Gora checkpoint responded to distress information on suspected kidnappers operating along the road at Ungwan Dariya village.
The troops reportedly moved swiftly to the location, forcing the suspected kidnappers to abandon their mission and flee into surrounding areas.
During the operation, one victim was rescued with injuries sustained during the attack.
The victim was immediately evacuated to Confidence Hospital, Fadan Karshi, for medical treatment.
Security sources said efforts were ongoing to track and apprehend the fleeing suspects, while patrols had been intensified along the axis to prevent further incidents.
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
News
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
By: Zagazola Makama
A suspected collaborator of kidnappers has died after becoming unconscious while in military custody in Nasarawa State.
Security sources said troops of Sector 2 under Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) intercepted the suspect at about 7:00 a.m. on May 19 at Ancha community in Akwanga Local Government Area.
The suspect was reportedly apprehended at Anguwan Makama following allegations of involvement in activities linked to kidnapping operations in the area.
During preliminary interrogation, the suspect reportedly became unconscious.
He was immediately evacuated to Nunku Primary Health Care Centre for medical attention, where he was confirmed dead by health officials.
Sources added that the remains of the deceased were released to his family for burial in accordance with local customs.
Security authorities said further assessment would continue in line with standard procedures, while operations against kidnapping networks in the area remain ongoing.
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
