News
GEJ Insist Problem of Africa, the Making of Leaders Who Fail to Respect Laws
GEJ Insist Problem of Africa, the Making of Leaders Who Fail to Respect Laws
By: Michael Mike
Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has decried that the problems of Africa is the making of leaders who do not respect their nation’s laws, calling on the electorate to elect only leaders who will respect the laws of the land.
Jonathan, who is ECOWAS special envoy, made the call on Tuesday while officially opening the second annual retreat for special envoys and high officials representing Regional Economic Communities (RECs) on Constitutional Transitions and Unconstitutional Changes of Governments, organised by the International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA) in collaboration with Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).
He said: “I believe that we need to elect leaders who will respect their laws. If our leaders – Presidents, Prime Ministers, the parliament and the judiciary – would respect our laws, I believe that 70 per cent of our problems would be solved.”
The former Nigerian President while commending the organisers of the summit, enjoined them to get leaders involved, stressing that: “I have always said that for us to move forward, key political leaders need to be involved.
“Sometimes, these conversations are very brilliant but how do we make sure it works? It is like the debate between having strong institutions and having a strong man. No matter how strong the institutions are, there are some kind of characters that trample on the institutions and nothing will happen.
“So, we need somebody who means well for the people, and who can make strong institutions work. There will be two forces jamming; the force of the president and the force of the head of an institution and the head of an institution can not stand the president, especially in African countries.”
He advised the organisers to bring African presidents and other leaders together to make key decisions on how to bring inclusivity to their governance process.
Jonathan while admitting that the theme of the event was timely given the pace of rising insecurity, mounting social tension, and the number of unconstitutional transitions and unconstitutional changes of governments in Africa, expressed optimism that concrete and actionable recommendations would be generated from the retreat to respond in a sustainable and inclusive manner to these complex situations.
The former ruler who emphasized the need to sustain democracy in Africa, said: “I have always said that there is a strong connection between democracy and development, hence the need to deepen democracy, make it more inclusive and strengthen the institutions of governance, towards building a stable and prosperous society.
“A dialogue on inclusivity should explore the process through which RECs and Special Envoys are responding to constitutional transitions and Unconstitutional changes of governments, and the need to strengthen structures for credible elections, peace mediations and good governance.”
Earlier in his remark, Secretary-General of International IDEA, Dr Kevin Casas-Zamora, said the key finding emanating from the organisation’s signature publication, the Global State of Democracy Report which assesses democratic performance in 173 countries shows that this is the sixth consecutive year of democratic deterioration globally, the longest such sequence is witnessed since our records started in 1975.
He added that: “Over two-thirds of the world’s population now lives in non-democratic regimes or in countries where democracy is visibly retreating. Our report documents the considerable pressures faced by democratic governments everywhere: rising populism; declining trust in institutions; runaway polarization; unmet social expectations; pressing environmental challenges; and an increasingly toxic information environment.”
Casas-Zamora also said: “We document in our report the visible rise in unconstitutional changes of government, particularly in West Africa; the increase in violence in so many places in the continent, including, in tragical fashion, in Sudan; and the problematic presence everywhere of an increasingly naked geopolitical competition and of widespread dissatisfaction with the workings of democracy.”
In his keynote address, the ECOWAS Commissioner for Political Affairs, Peace and Security, Ambassador Abdul-Fatau Musah noted the excuse of insecurity used by military juntas to overthrow democratically elected leaders was not tenable against the backdrop that insecurity has continued to grow under them.
He added that it become more untenable considering that it is the sector that is saddled with security that are putting up the claim, which in actual fact should be seen as their failure.
He said it has become imperative not to leave the transition position back to democratic rule in this hands of juntas, insisting that they should be made to vacate power and put in place a transition government made of civilians.
GEJ Insist Problem of Africa, the Making of Leaders Who Fail to Respect Laws
News
Ramadan: Borno Distributes Palliatives to 300,000 Households
Ramadan: Borno Distributes Palliatives to 300,000 Households
By: Michael Mike
Borno State Governor, Prof. Babagana Zulum has launched the distribution of Ramadan relief materials to 300,000 vulnerable households across the state’s 27 local government areas, in one of the largest social support interventions this year.
The flag-off ceremony, held at Ramat Square in Maiduguri on Tuesday, marks the beginning of a statewide exercise aimed at easing the economic hardship faced by residents during the holy month of Ramadan.

Under the scheme, each beneficiary household will receive a bag of rice, a bag of millet and 10 kilogrammes of sugar.
Addressing members of the distribution committee and government officials at the event, Zulum issued a stern warning against diversion of the relief materials, insisting that the exercise must be conducted with strict accountability.
He said: “These items are not for sale. They are not meant for your friends or family members who do not need them.”
He stressed that the palliatives are intended for widows, orphans, internally displaced persons, struggling farmers and low-income earners grappling with rising living costs. Any official found compromising the process, he warned, would face legal consequences.
Zulum emphasised that fairness and transparency must guide the operation to ensure that the most vulnerable residents benefit from the intervention.
In a move reflecting religious inclusivity, the governor directed that Christian residents observing Lent — which coincides with Ramadan this year — should also benefit from the distribution.
He noted that his administration has consistently supported Christian communities, particularly during major religious celebrations. Beyond annual Christmas food distributions, the state government also provides free transportation for non-indigenous Christians travelling to celebrate the festive season with their families outside Borno.
Meanwhile, the senator representing Borno Central, Kaka Shehu Lawan, and the Secretary to the State Government, Bukar Tijani, praised the governor’s intervention, describing it as timely and critical in light of ongoing economic pressures.

Director-General of the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), Ali Abdullahi Isa, assured residents that the agency has put mechanisms in place to ensure a smooth and orderly distribution process across all local government areas.
The event drew a large turnout of senior government officials, including members of the House of Representatives, the Speaker and principal officers of the Borno State House of Assembly, and other key stakeholders.
With the rollout now underway, the Borno State Government says the exercise is part of broader efforts to strengthen social safety nets and support communities still recovering from years of insurgency and economic disruption.
Ramadan: Borno Distributes Palliatives to 300,000 Households
News
Nigeria, Netherlands Forge Stronger Pact to Combat Human Trafficking
Nigeria, Netherlands Forge Stronger Pact to Combat Human Trafficking
By: Michael Mike
Nigeria and the Kingdom of the Netherlands have stepped up joint efforts to dismantle human trafficking networks, as senior officials from both countries met in Abuja to review progress under the TIPVAP NG project — an initiative aimed at building a safer environment free from trafficking in persons and violence against vulnerable groups.
The Second project Steering Meeting was organized by the International Centre for Migration Policy Development (ICMPD) in partnership with NAPTIP, with support from the Ministry of Asylum and Migration of the Kingdom of the Netherlands under the Building and Environment Free of Human Trafficking and Violence Against Persons in Nigeria (TIPVAP NG) project
It was attended by a delegation from the Netherlands led by Victor Cramer, the Deputy Director General, Ministry of Asylum and Migration, Ms Isabelle Wolfsgruber, Nigeria Head of Office, Official of NAPTIP, led by the Director General, Binta Bello, Focal Persons from the relevant MDAs, and other Stakeholders.
At the heart of discussions was the Justice and Security Migration Partnership Programme, which officials described as a critical instrument for reinforcing Nigeria’s legal and institutional response to trafficking and violence.
Director-General of NAPTIP, Binta Bello, said the partnership has begun to produce measurable gains in investigations, prosecutions, and victim support services across selected states, including Benue, Delta, Edo, Enugu, Ogun and the Federal Capital Territory.
She noted that beyond enforcement, the initiative focuses on improving operational procedures, strengthening inter-agency collaboration, and deepening public awareness to prevent trafficking at its roots.
According to her, the Project Steering Committee serves as the programme’s highest oversight body, ensuring accountability, strategic direction, and alignment with both national priorities and international standards.
Bello emphasised that sustained international cooperation remains essential, particularly as trafficking networks continue to evolve and operate across borders. She called for renewed commitment to a victim-centred and rights-based approach that prioritises the protection and dignity of survivors.
Leader of the Dutch delegation, Victor Cramer, described Nigeria as a key partner in addressing irregular migration and trafficking flows between West Africa and Europe.
He pointed to data showing that Nigerian nationals remain significantly represented among trafficking victims identified in the Netherlands, especially in cases involving sexual exploitation and forced criminality. This reality, he said, underscores the need for coordinated prevention, protection and prosecution strategies.
Cramer commended Nigerian authorities for their commitment and stressed that stronger capacity building and intelligence-sharing would help reduce dangerous migration pathways exploited by criminal syndicates.
ICMPD’s Nigeria Head of Office, Isabelle Wolfsgruber, said the TIPVAP NG project is central to strengthening coordination between federal and state institutions under NAPTIP’s leadership. She highlighted the importance of awareness campaigns that equip communities with knowledge about trafficking risks and deceptive recruitment tactics.
Wolfsgruber added that the programme is designed not merely around activities, but around measurable outcomes — ensuring that institutional reforms translate into real protection for vulnerable persons.
The meeting ended with a renewed pledge by Nigeria, the Netherlands and ICMPD to deepen collaboration, strengthen institutional capacity, and sustain a coordinated national response against human trafficking and violence.
For both countries, officials agreed, the fight against trafficking is not only a security priority but also a shared humanitarian responsibility — one that demands persistence, partnership and people-focused solutions.
Nigeria, Netherlands Forge Stronger Pact to Combat Human Trafficking
News
Zulum flags off Ramadan palliative for 300,000 households in Borno’s 27 LGAs
Zulum flags off Ramadan palliative for 300,000 households in Borno’s 27 LGAs
By: Our Reporter
Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, has launched the distribution of Ramadan palliatives to 300,000 households across all 27 local government areas of the state.
The intervention is designed to cushion the economic burden on vulnerable residents during the holy month of Ramadan.

Each beneficiary will receive one bag of rice, one bag of millet and 10 kg of sugar.
Speaking at Ramat Square, the venue for the distribution exercise on Tuesday, Zulum urged the committee tasked with the exercise to adhere to the highest standards of transparency and fairness.
He said, “To the committee in charge of this distribution, let transparency be your watchword. Let fairness be your guide. These items are not for sale. They are not for your friends or family members who do not need them.
“They are for the widow, the orphan, the internally displaced, the farmer whose fields have not fully recovered, and the daily wage earner struggling to make ends meet. Any officer found diverting these items will face the full wrath of the law.”

The governor also noted that the distribution would be extended to Christian residents who are coincidentally observing the Lent period, which overlaps with the Muslim fasting season this year.
This gesture will also touch the non-Muslims who are also fasting the lent which falls within the month of Ramadan,” Zulum ordered.
Zulum’s administration had consistently supported Christian communities in the state, particularly during festive seasons.
Each year, the governor approves the distribution of food items to Christian faithful celebrating Christmas and free transport for non-indigenous Christians who wish to travel to other parts of the country to celebrate their holidays with family and loved ones.
In their remarks, the senator representing Borno Central, Barrister Kaka Shehu Lawan and the Secretary to the Borno State Government, Bukar Tijani, commended Governor Zulum for supporting the vulnerable in their most critical moment.
In his welcome address, the Director-General of the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), Ali Abdullahi Isa, reiterated the agency’s readiness to ensure hitch-free distribution.
The ceremony was attended by members of the House of Representatives, Engr Bukar Talba and Abdulkadir Rahis, the speaker of the Borno State House of Assembly, Abdkarim Lawan and principal officers of the House, the Acting Chief of Staff, Dr Babagana Mustapha Mallumbe, among many other senior government officials.
Zulum flags off Ramadan palliative for 300,000 households in Borno’s 27 LGAs
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News10 months agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
