News
Ghanaian Universities Throng Nigeria for Students with Attractive Incentives
Ghanaian Universities Throng Nigeria for Students with Attractive Incentives
By: Michael Mike
Ghana universities have continued to come over to Nigeria for students with various incentives which include payment in Naira, Cedi and even at discount and well spaced out payment arrangement for tuition.
In the last one month, three universities have established admission centres at the Ghana High Commission headquarters in Abuja and the Consular Office in Lagos to poach for Nigerian students.
Ghanaian universities that have so far this year taken advantage of the large population of Nigeria to seek students include University of Ghana, Accra, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), Kumasi and lately All Nations University, Koforidua, Eastern Region.

Speaking to journalists in Abuja at the weekend during the search for Nigerian students into the institution, the Deputy Registrar (University Recruitment), All Nations University, Eric Okai noted that the ivory tower have had more Nigerians passing through it than Ghanaians, noting that Nigerians have smart nationals and many who have graduated from the school were top of the class.
Okai, while noting that the school majors in engineering, said: ‘Nigerian students have played a major role in our position as a dominant university in engineering. The university has come to help Africa in our approach to education. We equip our student with quality education centered on ethics and respect for the society. Most of our alumni in petrochemical engineering are from Nigeria and also in oil and gas engineering.’
While revealing that the institution that was established by Prof. Samuel Donkor 21 years ago, have graduated over 3,000 Nigerians, said there are friendly tuition fee paying plan for Nigerians to keep the stream on.
He said: ‘Previously we were paying in dollars, we noticed that we are in West Africa and you know how the dollars is not friendly to us. The rate system, if you come to Ghana, the rate is high, if you come to Nigeria, the rate is high. So we considered that we should make the fees Naira friendly, so in that case we have pecked our fees in Cedi. It is not like the dollars equivalent but Cedi that is closer to what the local students pay.
‘You pay in Cedi, so you can just convert Naira to Cedi to pay your fees. You can play in Naira here and reflect it in Cedi. It is friendly to Nigerian parents since they won’t need to convert Naira into dollars to pay the school fees of their children.
‘The Vice Chancellor as further given a 50% discount for every Nigerian student that come to our campus. And this does not just cover a semester but the entire duration of the course. From the first year to graduation. It is a Naira friendly tuition fee. Nigerians have been more in the school than Ghanaians. We have graduated over 3000 Nigerian students. Nigerian students have shown to be smart and they have always come out in flying colours.’
Ghanaian Universities Throng Nigeria for Students with Attractive Incentives
News
Rainy season: NEMA strengthens disaster preparedness, community resilience in Gombe
Rainy season: NEMA strengthens disaster preparedness, community resilience in Gombe
The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) on Monday engaged relevant stakeholders in Gombe State on the National Preparedness and Response Campaign (NPRC) 2026.
This is part of ongoing nationwide efforts aimed at strengthening disaster preparedness and community resilience across the state and country.
In her keynote address, the Director General NEMA, Mrs. Zubaida Abubakar Umar represented by the North-East Zonal Director of NEMA, Mr Suleiman Yakubu stated that the campaign was designed to drive early and coordinated action to protect lives and livelihoods during this year’s rainy season.
Also speaking at the engagement, the Head of NEMA Gombe Operations Office, Hajia Ummuna Ahmed, commended the community members and stakeholders for their cooperation and commitment toward disaster preparedness.
Ahmed stressed the importance of early warning information, community participation, and proactive measures in reducing the impact of disasters on lives and livelihoods.
In his presentation on Disaster Risk Reduction Measures, Dr Terungwa Igue specified the various sectorial roles in reducing risks associated with floods.
Igue assured stakeholders of NEMA’s continued commitment to strengthening preparedness initiatives, enhancing public awareness, and promoting safer and more resilient communities across Gombe State.
The engagement further demonstrated the shared commitment of all stakeholders toward fostering safer, better informed, and disaster resilient communities throughout the state.
The team carried out extensive community sensitisation and engagement activities in Wuro Juli Community in Akko LGA of Gombe State.
The sensitisation continued on Tuesday at Yamaltu Emirate in Yamaltu Deba LGA where the Emir of Yamaltu, Alhaji Abubakar Aliyu appreciated NEMA for always coming to sensitise them and charged all the 14 Hakimis who represented 14 villages to take the messages to their domain.
The community engagement exercise focused on enhancing disaster preparedness, promoting early warning awareness, and building community resilience against potential hazards and emergencies, particularly flood related.
The exercise was conducted in collaboration with the Gombe State Emergency Management Agency (GOSEMA), Local Emergency Management Committees (LEMCs), and community leaders, whose active participation and support contributed immensely to the success of the campaign.
The collaboration further reinforced the collective commitment toward disaster risk reduction and effective emergency response at the grassroots level.
Rainy season: NEMA strengthens disaster preparedness, community resilience in Gombe
News
NESREA Shuts Kano Rice Plant Over Environmental Violations
NESREA Shuts Kano Rice Plant Over Environmental Violations
By: Michael Mike
The National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency (NESREA) has sealed off a rice processing facility in Kano State, Fortune Rice Mills Limited, over alleged violations of environmental regulations relating to air pollution and offensive emissions.
The enforcement action, carried out on Monday, was led by the agency’s North-West Zonal Director, Dr. Mudashiru Raheem, following investigations into public complaints against the company.

According to NESREA, residents had raised concerns over persistent dust emissions and offensive odour emanating from the facility despite earlier compliance notices issued to the company.
The agency said investigations established that the rice mill violated provisions of the National Environmental (Air Quality Control) Regulations 2014 as well as the National Environmental (Food, Beverages and Tobacco Sector) Regulations 2023, prompting the sealing of the plant.
Director-General of National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency, Innocent Barikor, who authorised the shutdown, condemned what he described as the “reckless attitude” of some industrial facilities towards public health and environmental safety.
Barikor stressed that economic interests must not come at the expense of citizens’ wellbeing and environmental sustainability, warning that the agency would continue to enforce compliance with environmental laws across the country.
“The health of citizens and the environment must not be sacrificed on the altar of economic gain,” he said.
He also called on Nigerians to take greater responsibility for environmental protection by reporting environmental infractions and pollution incidents to the agency for prompt action.
The latest enforcement underscores renewed regulatory scrutiny on industrial operators amid growing concerns over environmental pollution and public health risks in several parts of the country.
NESREA Shuts Kano Rice Plant Over Environmental Violations
News
Troops Arrest Suspected Gunrunner in Taraba Over Alleged Sale of 23 Rifles
Troops Arrest Suspected Gunrunner in Taraba Over Alleged Sale of 23 Rifles
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of the Nigerian Army have arrested a suspected gunrunner in Taraba State over the alleged sale of 23 AK-47 rifles to a rogue vigilante leader.
Security sources said the suspect was apprehended at about 3:30 a.m. on May 17, 2026, during a joint intelligence-led operation conducted by troops of the 20 Model Battalion and operatives of the Defence Intelligence Agency.
According to the sources, the operatives raided the suspect’s residence at Sabon Gida village in Gassol Local Government Area of the state following actionable intelligence.
The sources disclosed that preliminary findings linked the suspect to the supply of 23 AK-47 rifles to a suspected rogue vigilante commander operating within the area.
The suspect has since been taken into custody by the Defence Intelligence Agency for further investigation and possible prosecution.
Security authorities said efforts were ongoing to uncover the wider arms trafficking network connected to the suspect.
Troops Arrest Suspected Gunrunner in Taraba Over Alleged Sale of 23 Rifles
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
