Connect with us

News

Gombe Appeals for Deployment of More Civil Defence to Combat Farmers/Herders Clashes

Published

on

Gombe Appeals for Deployment of More Civil Defence to Combat Farmers/Herders Clashes

By: Michael Mike

Gombe State Governor, Muhammadu Yahaya has appealed to the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) to deploy more personnel to the state to help manage the incessant farmers/herders clashes.

The call was made on Tuesday during his visit to the NSCDC Commandant General, Dr Ahmed Audi, at the Corps’ National Headquarters in Abuja.

According to a statement on Tuesday in Abuja by the Corps Public Relations Officer, Mr Babawale Afolabi, Yahaya said there was a need for more presence of the Corps to help control farmers/ herders clashes and improve security in schools as well as ensure general security of lives and property in Gombe State.

The governor specifically asked for the deployment of the Agro Rangers Unit and general duty operatives to assist in the control of farmers/clashes among other forms of insecurity bedevilling the State.

He also expressed hope that the presence of the Agro Rangers personnel who are specifically trained to attend to such complex issues of farmers and herders conflict would save the state from such menace towards the end of October as the rains cease.

The governor said: “The demand for additional deployment of Agro Rangers personnel before October ends is to avert incidence of clashes as the movement of cattle rearers usually commence at that period and the personnel will be of immense benefits to control clashes and mediate conflict if any.”

He expressed optimism that if the security of lives and property was achieved there would be food security.

He however decried the high rate of out-of-school children especially girl-child which he attributed to the closure of almost all boarding schools for girls in the state except one, and further solicited the assistance of the Corps to reverse the situation by ensuring a safe and secure environment for learning.

Responding, the CG assured him of his agency’s cooperation and collaboration, promising that his request would be attended to upon the completion of the ongoing quarterly training of Agro Rangers personnel.

He explained that the Agro Rangers Unit had resolved more than 1,000 cases nationwide, adding that as a special unit, Agro Rangers provide security for farmers and agro-allied investments.

Audi added that as a lead agency in the protection of critical national assets and Infrastructure, his administration would respond to the protection of schools in Gombe State under the Safe Schools Project whose Headquarters is housed by the Corps.

Gombe Appeals for Deployment of More Civil Defence to Combat Farmers/Herders Clashes

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau

Published

on

Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 3 of Operation Enduring Peace intervened in a reported case of farm destruction caused by cattle grazing in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State.

Security sources said the troops responded at about 1:30 p.m. on May 19 following a report that farmland belonging to one Bitrus Isah had been damaged by cattle allegedly owned by one Abdul Abu at Rigochongo village.

On arrival at the scene, the troops reportedly intercepted 49 cows and nine sheep grazing on the farmland without any herder present.

The livestock were secured to prevent further destruction and escalation of tension in the community.

Security sources said both parties involved were subsequently invited for amicable resolution of the dispute in order to maintain peace and prevent reprisal actions.

Authorities added that the intervention formed part of ongoing efforts to manage farmer-herder-related conflicts and sustain harmony across communities in Plateau State.

Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau

Continue Reading

News

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

Published

on

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 7, Sub-Sector 71 of Operation Enduring Peace have foiled a kidnapping attempt along a highway in Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

Security sources told Zagazola that the incident occurred at about 12:15 a.m. on May 21 when troops deployed at Ungwan Gora checkpoint responded to distress information on suspected kidnappers operating along the road at Ungwan Dariya village.

The troops reportedly moved swiftly to the location, forcing the suspected kidnappers to abandon their mission and flee into surrounding areas.

During the operation, one victim was rescued with injuries sustained during the attack.

The victim was immediately evacuated to Confidence Hospital, Fadan Karshi, for medical treatment.

Security sources said efforts were ongoing to track and apprehend the fleeing suspects, while patrols had been intensified along the axis to prevent further incidents.

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

Continue Reading

News

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

Published

on

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

By: Zagazola Makama

A suspected collaborator of kidnappers has died after becoming unconscious while in military custody in Nasarawa State.

Security sources said troops of Sector 2 under Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) intercepted the suspect at about 7:00 a.m. on May 19 at Ancha community in Akwanga Local Government Area.

The suspect was reportedly apprehended at Anguwan Makama following allegations of involvement in activities linked to kidnapping operations in the area.

During preliminary interrogation, the suspect reportedly became unconscious.

He was immediately evacuated to Nunku Primary Health Care Centre for medical attention, where he was confirmed dead by health officials.

Sources added that the remains of the deceased were released to his family for burial in accordance with local customs.

Security authorities said further assessment would continue in line with standard procedures, while operations against kidnapping networks in the area remain ongoing.

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights